can they take all my last wages?

(12 Posts)
Tortington Sun 10-Feb-13 23:02:23

can work take all of my last months wages to pay back a course they have paid for?

i am desperatley looking for another job, but this is a huge consideration - cos if they take my last months, i am fubarred

does anyone know please?

lisad123everybodydancenow Sun 10-Feb-13 23:03:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 10-Feb-13 23:09:10

Did you have a training agreement in place? Have you checked your contract for any rolling training agreements.

I had to sign something when work paid for a course saying agreeing to repay the cost from last wages if I left within two years. Do you remember signing anything?

allagory Sun 10-Feb-13 23:21:58

Does this link help?

Tasmania Mon 11-Feb-13 01:43:35

At some of the places I worked for, if they paid for a course you wanted to do, and you left within six months of completing the course (or whilst doing the course), you have to pay it all back. The reason being - why should they pay for a career-enhancing course, if they will never reap the benefits of your knowledge?

So yes, they can, and it's only fair.

flowery Mon 11-Feb-13 07:22:03

Yes what everyone else said. If there was something in place before you did the course stating that you'd have to pay it back if you left within x months/years, then yes they can. If not, then no they can't.

If there is something, it's always possible they might agree to you paying it back in a few instalments instead.

flowery Mon 18-Feb-13 09:53:00

Why do I bother?

Ellypoo Mon 18-Feb-13 11:26:07

Oh flowery - you bother because the majority of people seeking help really do appreciate your responses. Sadly, some - like the OP here, don't appreciate all the help and advice that you freely give on here.

I always appreciate your sensible, helpful answers and advice, and I'm sure many many others do too - please don't lose heart thanks

Northey Mon 18-Feb-13 11:30:10

Exactly, ellypoo. Even when it isn't my question, and I am just idly leading through threads, I often file away flowery's words as a useful hint on how to approach a situation in general!. So thank you, flowery!

flowery Mon 18-Feb-13 14:52:32

You're both very kind. Either it's been happening more recently or I'm noticing more or being more irritated by it.

I'm going to take a little break before I end up spending just as much time posting snippy messages as I do helpful ones!

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 18-Feb-13 15:03:11

Hmm flowery I suspect the OP discovered yes they did have a training agreement in place and never thought to come back and say so. Your posts are very helpful and having read them over the last few years I went and got myself some HR training as an employer. So you have put one employer on the right track even if nothing else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now