ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Staying at work longer than I want because of sense of loyalty

(4 Posts)
Glamadon Sun 10-Feb-13 13:11:11

Hi everyone, just looking to get some advice from objective perspectives, as I'm really unsure what to do and I don't want to make a decision based on hormones!

I have been working for a very small company for a couple of years now, and due to this, I have formed very close relationships with the couple of other staff members and my boss, which is great and I have really enjoyed my time there. However, it is highly unlikely I will be going back after maternity leave finishes as I dont think they will have a job for me after I leave, and if they do, its highly unlikely it would be for the same money I'm on now. I just can't see how she could afford it when she is having to hire someone new to take my place. Every penny is accounted for in that place! More to the point, I wouldn't be able to afford to go back anyway.

So basically, I have decided that realistically I won't be going, and therefore the next 7 weeks before my maternity leave will by last, and I know deep down my boss knows this as well. Therefore, she is now trying to get me involved in as much as she can before I leave, which I understand. She's paying my wages and wants her moneys worth before I leave. That's business.

But the issue is, I am so tired and drained that I really don't want or need the extra responsibility and pressure right now. I work in sales, so its not the work load that bothers me, its the stress, with hitting targets and account managing 4-5 clients now at one time, whilst being expected to generate thousands in revenue. I'm just so stressed that for the first time in my life i feel unmotivated and find myself wanting to do less and less rather than facing the challenge head on. I also suffer badly from SPD which I don't think my boss appreciates because she never had it so I'm sure she thinks im exaggerating. It's just a painful experience, both physically and mentally at the moment.

What I am thinking of doing is requesting to go on maternity leave in 28 days time, which is the legal requirement isn't it? And then, if I am entitled to it, taking the remaining 3 weeks I should have been at work as leave, as our leave for the year runs Jan-Dec. I guess what I'm asking for is advice on whether I should just ride out the extra 3 weeks and stop being dramatic, or request maternity leave earlier like I want, financially be the same with the leave to replace the 3 weeks i should have been there but risk dropping my boss in it. I'm really torn between my heart and my head. What would you guys do?

NatashaBee Sun 10-Feb-13 13:15:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MsPickle Sun 10-Feb-13 13:22:19

I took my accrued annual leave in the run up to mat leave, I also work for a small business. It has to be paid whether you take it or not so we agreed better for me to use it. With my ds I used leave to drop to 4 days a week for the last month and then finished at 38 weeks with some leave left so I think I started mat leave in week 40. It's not uncommon to do this, my boss weighed up the me being there and billing vs the risk of me going into labour!

Glamadon Sun 10-Feb-13 13:23:29

To be honest, I don't think I will go back anyway, the stress and the pressure has always got to me, but when it was just me and my husband I persevered because it paid the bills. I don't really want to go back to that life, feel the same and then have a baby to look after. I had an awful amount of responsibility for a shite wage and I don't think I'm going to want to leave my baby to go back to that type of environment. I just can't see how it would be financially feasible either for me, and it would probably bankrupt the company having to pay my wages again as well!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now