Help on managing boss who is passing my work off as hers

(11 Posts)
Bigwuss Sun 10-Feb-13 09:01:17

Long story, i thought my supervisor was normally lovely, but recently I spent some time with our senior manager ( her boss), who was mentioning a couple of pieces of work, that I had done, but supervisor was getting praise (and promotion) on the back of them as they were seen as her work. She has had no input other to ask me talk through them once they were complete. She does not have the technical skills to do the work.
I don't normally have access to our senior manager as they are based off site in Europe.
Other than saying 'but that's my work', which I did out of shock. I need some advice on how I manage supervisor and getting the credit back myself. i'm pretty pissed off and would like to tackle her on it, but I'm not sure where to start.

knackeredmother Sun 10-Feb-13 09:03:33

I've no idea about managing it but have to ask what the response was from the European boss? Would they not take it forward now they are aware what's happened? I would be fuming.

Bigwuss Sun 10-Feb-13 09:08:47

European boss was surprised, but is not keen on conflict. Not sure being forthright with him will work and may just end up making me look bitter and twisted.

KatoPotato Sun 10-Feb-13 09:17:35

I would be furious too.

Can you speak to your manager and say that your higher boss said 'the strangest thing' and that there seemed to be some confusion over who did what?

You could say to her that you did exclaim that you'd done the work out of surprise and that you hope that's not going to cause any problem for her? A sort of 'whoops I couldn't help it hope you don't get pulled up' iykwim?

If you try to adopt the tone that you're keeping her in the loop whilst also stating that she's taking the pee!

AnneEyhtMeyer Honduras Sun 10-Feb-13 09:20:19

When this happened to me I started blind-copying-in the head of department whenever I emailed her a document. I also knew that she wasn't even reading the documents before passing over, so on a couple I put "This is MyName's work" half way through the document.

It only took a couple of weeks for her to stop and for me to get the recognition.

I'm not sure about this one. My boss "passes my work off as hers" all the time. It is hers. She (as the face of what we do) was asked to fo it, and her way of doing it was to involve the right people. She then has some slight input ("add the corporate logo and change this sentence slightly") and then hands it over to the people who asked for it. While she gives credit all the time when appropriate, if she's been asked by someone senior to do something she doesn't fall over herself to say "oh but I didn't actually write it", that would be unprofessional. OTOH if we're having ongoing dealings with someone and providing them with stuff, she involves me, trsusts me to deal with it, and allows me to hand over the work myself.
So while in general, I think it's a valid thing to do, I think the specific circumstances are more important, and the relationship her boss has with her and the team iyswim.

Bigwuss Sun 10-Feb-13 09:30:26

I agree SPD, and that's how I though it was working,with the team getting credit where it was due, but in these cases it is seen to be all her own work. It will backfire as she can't reproduce the work on another project as she doesn't know how to.

BluelightsAndSirens Sun 17-Feb-13 22:42:15

Depends on the document really. My boss asks me to create presentations that he then presents, he wouldn't have a clue how to create the presentation as much as I don't have the ability to stand and present the content to his standard so we work as a team.

I create lots of docs that he then uses as his own but I know he appreciates it and has high praise for my work so it works for both of us using our skills, strengths and weaknesses together.

dizzy77 Sun 17-Feb-13 22:48:35

Some good ideas and insights here. I have little to add apart from I sometimes reflect that it's often my job to make my boss look good. Of course, that's done in the hope everyone will do the right thing and credit is given where it's due, but politics doesn't always work that way so often there is a bit of gaming necessary.

Sorry this is shocking. I like the "something funny happened" approach above as it still gives your boss the chance to redeem herself while getting your point across. Successfully delegating and developing team members to produce deliverables to a high standard is a good thing for someone to do. Doesn't make it less galling, I agree.

missingmumxox Mon 18-Feb-13 00:39:32

this is easy? happens to me a lot, well did in the NHS, I just used to say, oh thank you, X asked me to do Y and I am so pleased it worked out, she/he was clear on the remit, works like a dream, they now know it was you work, but you haven't bitched about your manager, I am a manager now but I always give credit to my reports work unless it is shit then I say I must of not expressed my idea clearly. (6 month's in to my job that no longer happened!
this is easy to do 2 years down the line as I only have 1 poor member of staff and I double check every thing she does, I had one great member of staff, who has gone onwards and upwards, because I have sung her praises I wish she hadn't ;D but I am pleased for her, but she deserved better, I realise that having a boss who I loved and never promoted me ultimately led me to leaving the NHS, she always said I was 2nd on the interviewing process and I saw outsiders get above me...and I don't rate myself but my Dad when he left work told me the only thing he regretted about being the boss was not promoting a member of staff who was so good he was scared to lose her.
when my old boss retired after I had left she said the same thing as my Dad and she was sorry, she is still lovely, I enjoyed working for her.
I work in another public sector job and I had an amazing reference, new employer showed me, never bitch the boss spin it,easy for me as I loved her and she helped me when my Dad was ill and died.
but really better a dish served cold :

I write documents for my boss to present and the format of them includes her name. However I do occasionally put my name on documents I prepare, generally on the longer, more complex ones that my boss will obviously not have had the time to prepare. Equally I have omitted my name from documents that I have prepared when I thought that the remit or message I was asked to give struck me as stupid. In future put your name on your work as it is a brave person who removes your name and puts their own on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now