Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have an employment dispute and need professional advice, please contact your union, the Citizen's Advice Bureau or a solicitor.

Enhanced adoption leave???

(7 Posts)
Lisachappy Thu 24-Jan-13 16:52:02

Sorry in the delay in replying Flowery.
The company that i work for has its HQ in a busy city and then have (lets say branches) doted about around the country. Nobody gives us the policies. We have a file in each branch that we can refer to anytime we feel the need.
The two policies that was sent to me by my colleagues are from different places, one is from HQ as he works there and the other one is from a branch. They both state I am entitled to enhanced adoption pay.
The only policy that doesn't offer any enhanced pay or benefit is the also from HQ.
I'm so confused in what to do. Sorry if I'm rambling lol.
Lisa xxx

flowery Tue 22-Jan-13 09:42:23

It's still not clear I'm afraid.

Which policy were you given before your maternity leave? I don't mean emailed to you by colleagues, I mean given/emailed to you officially by either HR and/or your manager before you went?

Also, you should have been written to by your employer confirming the dates for your leave and confirming the pay you would receive. Did they write to you and what did that say?

Lisachappy Tue 22-Jan-13 02:13:49

Thanks for replying. Reading my post through again I didn't explain my circumstances clearly. Sorry.
I am the one taking parental leave and the two policies that was emailed to me by my colleagues stated what I believe to be right, that enhanced pay would be credited to me.
The new policy states that statutory adoption leave would be all that I am entitled to (and that is all I am receiving at the moment).
I have rung HR and they have said that they was sorry about the incorrect policy that was given to me. They also said that the policy has been in place since 2009!!!
Again I believe this not to be true as it states that maternity, paternity and adoption leave would all be paid as statutory guidelines however my work mate just returned back from maternity and informed me she had been granted full pay!!!!
My employer is currently making cutbacks and restructuring the whole business and new terms and conditions are going to be sent to me and will need my signature. Hmmm I don't think so lol
Sorry for the rant guys xxx

hermioneweasley Mon 21-Jan-13 11:22:47

Hi Lisa, welcome to MN. A few questions:

Are you the primary carer of the child?
How did you get hold of the policy that you say was in place when you started your leave (not the versions colleagues sent to you)
Did your manager or HR provide copies of any policy or have any discussion about what you would be entitled to?

sweetsandchocolate123 Sun 20-Jan-13 15:28:27

Hi, I am in the process of sorting out my adoption leave. In the end I was so confused with the info in the policy that I spoke to my manager about it. He was able to give me all the info i needed. So my advice would be to give your manager a call and ask them to discuss it with you directly.

you could also try CAB, they can prob advise you.

good luck

Idreamofafullnightssleep Sun 20-Jan-13 09:55:08

What are the differences between the policies and how would it affect you?

Lisachappy Sun 20-Jan-13 09:49:35

This is my first post on mumsnet and was wondering if anyone could help me. I'll keep it simple as I can lol.
I am in a same sex relationship and I am currently on adoption leave and have been since October 2012.
The policy on adoption leave that was in place before taking my leave stated that I would be entitled to the same benefits as those who take maternity leave.
It was only when I was on adoption leave my company informed me that the policy that I had was out of date. (within this time, 2 colleagues from different departments sent me adoption policies via e-mail which both stated enhanced pay for adoption leave)
There seems to be several versions of policies in place and basically they are saying that I had the by wrong one given to me.
I'm so confused. Help!!
Lisa

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now