Want to investigate possibility of voluntary redundancy with no obligation, how to word it?

(15 Posts)
maxmillie Mon 14-Jan-13 21:56:49

Hello HR and legals people. Need some advice on asking for voluntary redundancy. I work for a bank that is in the usual financial dire straits. There is a public "low cost locations" policy in that they are slowly trying to wind up uk operations and anyone that leaves can only be replaced in low cost locations, sorry I mean "centres of excellence". There are no blanket redundancies but the bank has a whole has an approx 10k head count reduction target for this year ( not specifically in my area, at this time ).

I want to leave. I have been hearing slight chatter about voluntary redundancies recently. Two people from same division different departments have recently quietly disappeared. I asked my boss about whether there was a possibility it might be available today in an appraisal. He said put it in writing and I will forward it, they will look at it in a case by case basis.

So: I want to send him am email asking him to investigate whether it might be available but, at this stage, with no prejudice or obligation. How do I word it to make it without obligation?

maxmillie Mon 14-Jan-13 23:17:49

Any advice?

flowery Tue 15-Jan-13 08:16:49

Without obligation on whose part? Do you mean you don't want to be obliged to take an offer they may make just because you've enquired?

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Tue 15-Jan-13 08:27:36

Not HR or a lawyer.

But would, "I understand the bank is reviewing its head count and considering measures such as voluntary redundancy, relocation etc. I would like to understand how such measures will be implemented in my business area and specifically how they might affect me and what options I may have" be suitably inquisitive but non-committal?

maxmillie Tue 15-Jan-13 11:46:28

Hi there thanks for replies - yes, they are a slippery bunch so, although I am pretty sure I would accept if offered (am leavingthis year one way or another). I just wanted to protect myself from any dodgy behaviour. eg I enquire about the possibility of voluntary redundancy and indicate that I may be interested under what I know to be current package, and then they come back and say we have change dthe package and you have volunteered and are forced to take it.

So, basially, indicate possible interest, enquire whether might be available - but not agreeing to anything at this stage or in the future (say in the future eg forced redundancies, you volunteered before so now are first in line)

Appreciate sound like am asking a lot. They are devious f**kers. You have to protect your back at lal times. Just wondered if there was any accepted legal jargon that can be applied so that, say future court action, their lawyers can't turn roudn and say "ahh, but in your initial enquiry, you didn't use the phrase X"

maxmillie Tue 15-Jan-13 11:47:19

sorry about iphone spelling

somebloke123 Tue 15-Jan-13 13:23:19

Could you just phrase it conditionally e.g. "If I were to be offered and take voluntary redundancy, can you give me your estimate of what my pay off would be?" I think the phrase "without prejudice" may be helpful but I'm not a lawyer so I'm not absolutely sure.

baffledmum Tue 15-Jan-13 13:28:27

In the letter you would put something like,

Dear .....

Re: Volutary Redundancy - Without Prejudice

In my appraisal today I raised the fact that indiduals within my team have mentioned that voluntary redundancies are being discussed. You agreed that this was something you would be happy to explore with me informally without any obligation on either side. I have thought the matter over carefully and without any current wish to be made redundant at this time, I would be interested to understand what redundancy package would be available to me and in what timescale.

maxmillie Tue 15-Jan-13 13:42:31

baffled that's brilliant!

Is it ok to email him for a record - or should I give it to him as a letter. I would also quite like to cc his boss, my senior manager, as I am not confident he will forward it on (is bonkers, chnages mind/behaviour with teh wind)

thanks for the advice all. I may need some hand-holding ...

flowery Tue 15-Jan-13 16:41:29

I wouldn't panic too much about using specific phrases, no lawyer would be able to hold it against you in any way, but baffled's phrasing is fine.

I would email it to your boss and copy in the senior manager and HR also.

maxmillie Tue 15-Jan-13 22:43:24

Wil do, thank you

maxmillie Wed 16-Jan-13 12:57:48

have sent email. lets see what bs reply they come back with. thanks all.

maxmillie Wed 23-Jan-13 12:34:53

oooooooooh, they've gone for it!

What do I need to watch out for now - they are offering me their standard package plus 9 weeks notice pay and standard (so they say, haven't seen it yet) compromise agreement which they pay for me to get looked over by a lawyer - what do I need to watch for?

maxmillie Wed 23-Jan-13 12:50:01

Although, as predicted, they took absolutely no notice of my wording and fact that I was initially just enquiring. They sent to big cheeses, big cheeses are apparently "under a significant headcount reduction task for 2013" (though of course are busy telling staff not at all), so they were happy to agree and first I heard of it was an HR person emailing me to ask where I wanted my compromise agreement sent to! Idiots!

maxmillie Thu 24-Jan-13 13:19:52

any advice?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now