Lost my job - what now?

(7 Posts)
Stase Wed 09-Jan-13 14:10:45

I started a new job in September with a three month probation clause, and was told on the 27th December that they wouldn't be extending my contract. What do I do now?
I have a nanny (3 DCs, and she brings her son with her, so cheapest option for us) who I need to give a months notice to, but we've decided to pay her until the end of February to give me a chance to find a new job. I haven't told the tax credit people yet, as we'll have nothing to pay her with and I'm hopeful I'll get something soon. She comes two days a week so new job would have to fit with those days. I realise I risk having to repay some tax credits, but if Iet her go, I won't be able to take a job until I've found new childcare and we are all really happy with her.
If I don't get a job by the end of this month we'll have to let her go and I'll have to claim JSA which I've never done before.
Any advice or cautionary tales?
Or job offers? wink
Shittest Christmas present ever...

Stase Wed 09-Jan-13 14:11:31

And... I didn't take any holiday in the three months, so I should be due a week's pay for that shouldn't I?

hermioneweasley Wed 09-Jan-13 20:26:25

Sorry to hear that stase. Yes, you are entitled to annual leave accrued but not taken. Did you get any notice - a week?

takeaway2 Wed 09-Jan-13 20:33:35

What area of work are you in? Have you got an up to date cv? And networks you can tap into? LinkedIn? Old mates? Temp banks? Different type of work? Set up on your own?

When my dh was made redundant we immediately cut down nursery days from 4.5 to 3. He decided to set up on his own. We still did the 3 days of nursery because we couldn't afford more and we didn't know how well his work will go...

Hang in there... Is there any thing you can switch to save some money? Sell on eBay?

Stase Wed 09-Jan-13 21:06:21

I got no notice, so by my reckoning I'm due a week's pay, which will help soften the blow, slightly.
My CV is fully polished, I'm in catering, no idea how that happened, I wanted to study Anthropology! grin
I'm realising that I do have lots of contacts and that people will recognise places on my cv positively. I've got a recruitment day to go to tomorrow, and bumped in to an old manager today ( from 14 years ago!) who has taken my details and said she'll be in touch about some events she has coming up.
My DH earns £22k and we can't manage without me working too, but it only makes a difference because tax credits give us £400/month towards childcare. So I don't know what the proposed changes will mean for us.
I'm 36 and I don't know how I got into sun a corner career-wise! I think three kids might have something to do with it... But I'm really not cut out to be a SAHM. hmm
Thanks for your replies. I think I need to get creative and see how my skills are transferable to other industries. Catering is poorly paid and not very family-friendly in terms of hours.
Is there such a thing as career counselling?

Stase Wed 09-Jan-13 21:06:31

I got no notice, so by my reckoning I'm due a week's pay, which will help soften the blow, slightly.
My CV is fully polished, I'm in catering, no idea how that happened, I wanted to study Anthropology! grin
I'm realising that I do have lots of contacts and that people will recognise places on my cv positively. I've got a recruitment day to go to tomorrow, and bumped in to an old manager today ( from 14 years ago!) who has taken my details and said she'll be in touch about some events she has coming up.
My DH earns £22k and we can't manage without me working too, but it only makes a difference because tax credits give us £400/month towards childcare. So I don't know what the proposed changes will mean for us.
I'm 36 and I don't know how I got into sun a corner career-wise! I think three kids might have something to do with it... But I'm really not cut out to be a SAHM. hmm
Thanks for your replies. I think I need to get creative and see how my skills are transferable to other industries. Catering is poorly paid and not very family-friendly in terms of hours.
Is there such a thing as career counselling?

takeaway2 Wed 09-Jan-13 22:45:31

Good luck! It sounds like you have a few good options.

Career counseling - yes they exist. Night be an idea to go to your old college or uni to see if they could http? Or ask someone you trust to talk through your transferable skills like able to multitask, organisational skills, management skills, numeracy. You can pay for a computer course (European license). You can look at the kind of jobs you'd like to go into and see whether you have the attributes they want?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now