Have to quit my job

(13 Posts)
AndBingoWasHisNameOh Thu 10-Jan-13 14:56:17

Have you considered starting your own business? For example would there be local call for an ironing service where you pick ironing up and drop it back all done?

redskyatnight Wed 09-Jan-13 20:59:28

We can only do it be relying on breakfast and after school clubs and holiday clubs. I sympathise with the breakfast club not being early enough though - there is a queue of people waiting outside ours when it opens so I think everyone is cutting it fine!

If you can find a more local job (so reduced petrol costs) and maybe one that starts later and runs conventional office hours you should be ok though. Depends whether you live near a big town/city though I guess.

Mischeif Wed 09-Jan-13 19:10:18

It's naff innit :/ I've never not worked and I hate the idea of it but I think I might just have to accept it. Was thinking of volunteering at a local cattery at least it will keep me busy and it's something to keep the CV upto date for the future

Cheers for the link cmt, I'll check that out!

Rowgtfc72 Wed 09-Jan-13 18:55:10

No help but sympathies. Dh just rang to say theyre changing his hours at work so unless we can find childcare which we cant afford I will need to leave my part time job which Ive done for eight years.

cmt1375 Wed 09-Jan-13 14:44:29

Home based admin employment www.nct.org.uk/jobs with a reputable employer.

Mischeif Wed 09-Jan-13 14:38:46

there is before school and after school clubs, but the cost of those plus the petrol just wasnt worth it when i was working full time, plus i couldnt make it in for 8:30 due to the starting times of the breakfast club, so on top of the costs I was due a pay cut as well. Plus they don't run in school holidays, so that was causing even more work related issues.

This one im having to quit is 4 while 8 mondays and tuesdays and all day sundays, the sunday isnt so bad, its finding someone to actually pick her up from school those days that's causing the issue as my mum doesn't drive.

If I could take her to work with me, then the issue would be solved as id make it in time haha

I think I'm just going to have to lump it until something turns up. The thing that bothers me is he seems to think i dont NEED to work, we just need to tighten the belts abit and he can do overtime. Arghhhh that just doesnt feel right to me, i feel like Im taking the mick.

hippyJules Wed 09-Jan-13 12:58:25

Really feel for you, have the same dilemma too, hard to go back to work because of child care costs. I've 5 children. Its not just after school, its inset days and the school holidays isnt it? Hope you can think of a solution, that sucks. xx

Crinkle77 Wed 09-Jan-13 12:57:27

Universities and colleges may have some term time jobs as well as schools

kickassangel Wed 09-Jan-13 02:23:50

What about after school care? My dd went there. There was also a morning care but we managed to work mornings ourselves. Then if she was ill we took turns to be home with her. Paying for childcare is one of the expenses in raising a child

rainbowsprite1 Wed 09-Jan-13 01:16:48

I have nothing useful to add apart from see my own post re losing my job soon due to childcare issues.. it is shite isnt it sad

Mischeif Wed 09-Jan-13 00:07:06

She's 7. The boy works 4 days on (days and nights, 12 hours a shift), 4 days off, so it's different days every week, so working round him is impossible.

Ive been looking for hours that suit, I just don't seem to be finding anything, especially as it will have to be local for those hours or it will just mean later starts and earlier finishes I imagine.

I'm just at a bit of a loss about what to do about it anymore.

This is why I want to look at home working, but I wouldn't have a clue where to start

Can you not find work which is more in school hours, than after school when your dh works shifts?

I think few people are lucky enough to have family picking up children after school. I think most have to rely on after school clubs, and after school child minders. How old is your daughter?

Mischeif Tue 08-Jan-13 23:51:08

Evening ladies (and gents?) pretty much just registered for a bit of help and advice, but I tend to have a habit of sticking around on forums, so hopefully this won't be my first and only post!

I've found out today, that Im going to have to quit my job, childcare issues (yay) pretty much, the situation I have found myself in, is we have no one to pick my daughter up anymore and we can't afford childcare. I did til recently have a full time job, which i quit as he does 12 hour shifts 4 days on/4 days off and it wasnt working for us (I wouldnt have been able to keep it up anyway due to the now lack of childcare) so I got a new job which was Sundays, Mon eve and tues eve - which I now also have to give up! Feel like Ive just totally wasted my time finding something new!

Anyway.

It was family that was helping out, who can't do it anymore due to their own work commitments etc, so now, I have nothing.

I dont understand how parents keep jobs? Youre expected to be flexible and be able to work unsociable hours in almost everything these days? If I worked it would have to be between like, half 9 and 2:30pm daily. Locally. Ive heard there are term time jobs out there, but Ive never found anything, least of all in my locallity

The other thing Ive thought is working from home, but I wouldnt even begin to know where to start looking for anything like that, I have no idea what's legit. So now I've got the hump.

Skills wise Ive done reception/admin/secretarial work for years. And that's about it. But Id try my hand at anything. I'd happily stuff envelopes at home if it brings a few quid in

Any help to useful sites for legit homeworking would be grand.

What really gets my goat is I'm desperate to just have a settled and steady job, that can work around my my family life when there are so many degenerates out there going out of their ways to avoid having to work!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now