Webchat with Green Party leader Natalie Bennett, NOW x

Should I tell my manager I'm not feeling well

(7 Posts)
tribpot Tue 11-Dec-12 07:27:33

I think on balance you're better telling her than not - but in the way AMumInScotland describes, i.e. just as an FYI I wanted to let you know this is going on. That way if she is unsympathetic you haven't said too much and if she is sympathetic, you can say a little more if you want.

Fingers crossed for you.

icantthinkofausername Mon 10-Dec-12 21:29:38

Hopefully will have a scan in the next 2 weeks, I'm not sure if she will be sympathetic she's a new manager so don't really know.

tribpot Mon 10-Dec-12 21:13:57

I think it's reasonable to tell her that you're feeling anxious and distracted about a potential health scare. Will she be sympathetic?

MaryMotherOfCheeses Mon 10-Dec-12 21:13:12

I'd say something. If it's effecting your work then it's better to say something and let her understand what's going on. Anyone would be preoccupied in that situation.

How long until your results? Fingers crossed for you.

If your manager is usually pretty decent about illness etc then I'd suggest telling her, you only have to say "I've not been 100%, getting some tests, hopefully nothing serious but it's making me tired" etc. I manage staff and I'd rather they had a quiet word so I know they're not feeling quite right rather than struggling on and me maybe thinking they hate the job or are pissed off about something.

SantaIAmSoFuckingRock Mon 10-Dec-12 21:08:42

yes tell her so that she knows what's going on. she may need to arrange cover for you if you have to go off sick and she can help re distribute your workload if you are finding things too much. also, from an emergency POV, if you collapsed, it's better for the person ringing ambulance to know as much as possible about the patient. (dont want to scare you but it happens)

icantthinkofausername Mon 10-Dec-12 21:01:21

I've not been feeling well for the past two weeks, however I've not been sick off work. I have lower right abdominal pain which the doctor thinks may be ovarian cysts (im waiting for a scan)and I have been tested for ovarian cancer (have a family history of it).
I'm feeling tired at work and finding it difficult to concentrate, I haven't told my manager I'm feeling unwell and now I'm worried that she might think I'm not capable of doing my job sad should I tell her or wait till I know what's wrong? I feel silly telling her when I might not have anything wrong with me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now