Working time vs travel time

(4 Posts)
flowerytaleofNewYork Mon 10-Dec-12 21:49:40

Well you're not legally entitled to be paid for time spent traveling to a work meeting if that's what you're asking.

Sounds as though you made a bit of an assumption, so you now need to decide whether it's a deal breaker for you basically.

blueshoes Mon 10-Dec-12 21:19:18

Did you specifically agree in the interview that travel time is counted as work time? Is this reflected in your employment contract?

I would raise it with the interviewer and get them to reflect it in the contract.

If they disagree, then it is a misunderstanding. You presumably would not take the job if travel time was not counted. So just say 'all bets off' and leave. I would not give any contractual notice period unless they insisted and you felt you could accommodate. Emphasise it is a misunderstanding on both sides.

LIZS Mon 10-Dec-12 20:51:14

but you'd lose a day and half out of ten every month just for travel ! Have you started it yet ? If you've signed a contract to that effect then think you're stuck. If you make waves then you may find yourself out of the job at the end of the probationary period.

thecatsminion Mon 10-Dec-12 13:30:06

I've just started a new job, working 10 days a month part time from home. Home is in my contract as my regular workplace.

At the interview I discovered I'd have to travel a significant distance, of around 6 hours each way, to attend a monthly meeting. I agreed to this as with every other position I've had, travel time of this distance was counted as work time.

I got the job, and have now discovered that travel is meant to be done in my own time. Expenses are covered by my employer. I'm not very happy!

Can anyone advise what the legal position is? I'm kicking myself for not clarifying it before I took the job.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now