Agencies and temping - does it work?

(3 Posts)
petal2008 Sat 15-Dec-12 19:34:41

Thanks for you reply. Sorry it took so long to answer! I took on a temporary job with an agency which finishes next week. I had to sign off as it was more than 16 hours so will have to wait and see if another assignment appears after xmas. I am still applying for permanent jobs but I suppose being xmas it is hard to judge how it will pan out. I must admit I agree about not getting involved with the day to day workings of the business. There was a major meeting last week where I am based and obviously lots of unwelcome changes afoot. I merrily carried on with my task smiling to myself!

NamingOfParts Thu 06-Dec-12 18:45:52

Similar position but now a couple of years down the line since being made redundant

I signed on for JSA then found a short term contract job. The contract got extended once then ended. It then took a few weeks to find another contract. I have now been in this role for nine months despite having originally started with a 3 month contract. They are now talking about extending my contract for several more months.

There are several ways of temping:
- agency work (the company you work for pays the agency for you)
- fixed term contract with the company you work for
- limited company contract.

I'm a day rate contractor on a limited company contract. This means that I was placed by the agency, with a company but am actually employed by an umbrella company. It is actually less confusing than it sounds and has legal tax advantages.

You do need a cushion of cash - there are sometimes problems with getting time sheets organised so that you can be waiting a few weeks for money. Also if you have time between contracts then you need to sign on.

Strange to say I actually found the signing on process useful - it made me a lot more active in job hunting.

It is more precarious without a doubt but after many years with one company I actually find the absence of 'career' quite enjoyable. I am there because there is work to do. I do the work. I dont get involved in career discussions or office politics.

Happy to answer any questions.

petal2008 Thu 06-Dec-12 17:35:17

I have recently been made redundant and notice virtually all vacancies are advertised through agencies.

I have registered for JSA but they have said if I do any more than 16 hours a week I will need to sign off. So,what are the practicalities of doing temporary work? I don't want to have to keep signing off and signing on again but this is what I will have to do if the agencies have no work - an administrative nightmare.

Does anyone here do temping as a "full time job" and is it doable? They said I could work for more that one agency but how does that work with HMRC?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now