Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have an employment dispute and need professional advice, please contact your union, the Citizen's Advice Bureau or a solicitor.

Self certification help!

(7 Posts)
careergirl Thu 06-Dec-12 20:42:40

self certify 7 days but that includes weekends and days you don't normally work

flowerytaleofNewYork Thu 06-Dec-12 10:37:44

Do you get sick pay from your employer, other than statutory sick pay? It might be that a doctor's note is a condition for that, but normally it's self-certification for a week, then anything over that you need a doctor's note.

missingmumxox Wed 05-Dec-12 23:59:32

no, self cert is for 7 calender days, if your employer insists on one before, they should give you the fee the GP will charge you for this but if you are not back by Friday, then yes you need one.

Ellypoo Tue 04-Dec-12 12:20:39

Have you just had last Friday & today off? You should be able to self-certify for 7 calendar days, so if you are back on Friday you shouldn't need a doctors note. However, if company policy is to require a doctors note before that, then that is what you should follow.

stowsettler Tue 04-Dec-12 12:09:57

I require a doctor's note from my staff if they are ill for more than 7 calendar days, i.e. one full week. I was under the impression that this was the legal requirement and certainly when I've been ill myself, my GP has always told me to self-certificate for the first week and, if I'm still ill, she would do me a note from then on.

freakazoidroid Tue 04-Dec-12 10:04:49

Bump

freakazoidroid Tue 04-Dec-12 09:54:00

I have been off work since last Friday with bad tonsillitis. I normally work tues and fri.
I am still ill today but am hoping to be well again to go in this coming Friday. My manager has asked me to get a note from the dr today , can she do this .
I saw an emergency dr on Saturday and was prescribed antibiotics.

Can anyone offer me advice

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now