Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have an employment dispute and need professional advice, please contact your union, the Citizen's Advice Bureau or a solicitor.

Would you question this?

(9 Posts)
poorbuthappy Wed 28-Nov-12 11:18:41

Thanks all.
It upset DH because we have 3 girls, and to think that there are people who have the responsibility to employ the best person for the job, but still feel it is acceptable to comment about maternity in front of candidates got his back up.

It was the 2 female governers who had the chat and laughed about not having to worry maternity.

No, he didn't get the job, in fact they didn't appoint anyone.
And we did talk about whether or not it was sour grapes. Perhaps it is, but I still think its an appalling thing to say!

I do wonder what will happen if they get decent female applicants next time.

Cheers all.

flowery Wed 28-Nov-12 10:05:28

Given the male/female proportions in teaching, if there were 5 candidates all men, I'd say the discrimination has probably already happened really.

Was it one of the governors that said it, sorry not 100% clear on that. If so, I wouldn't necessarily be overly concerned about the culture/ethos of the school as a whole, based on one comment by one governor who was probably a dinosaur anyway . If there are other things that are of concern in terms of the feel of the school, that's a different matter.

LaCiccolina Wed 28-Nov-12 09:48:50

Seriously, ur dh had the interview. Is he bothered by the comment or wishing to earn a crust?

If ur bothered get over it. Gonna be worse than that said about a woman no doubt. Teaching offices building sites all the same, petty places with bad comments said. As above says, he can take paternity leave now. Just grin smile and savour any moment where dh gets upper hand.

There's always one in a group isn't there? He's hopefully met him now. And can ignore him in future.

redskyatnight Wed 28-Nov-12 09:44:12

Hmm, not sure. Hard to know without the context of when it was said and how it was said. As all the candidates were male, I can't see it could be construed as discriminatory. If the governors are discriminating against "women of childbearing age" this is obviously a big problem, however I don't think a random comment necessarily gives evidence of this.

When we toured the school where DS is now a pupil, we talked to the headteacher about school budgets. He made a comment along the lines of "of course I have lots of young female teachers who are always leaving to have babies, so I have to organise maternity cover". But he said it in the context of "just another thing to consider in the budget" (like the school roof needing replacing), and from the tone of his voice and way he said it he was obviously very happy for the women in question and actually didn't mind having to juggle the budget for them at all.

Felicitywascold Wed 28-Nov-12 09:43:07

1. Did he get the job?

2. Did he feel it was a joke in bad taste or a reflection of how the governors really felt.

3. What was the overall 'feel' of the culture of the school.

4. If it was me, and I thought this type of comment was any more than a one of ill judged joke I wouldn't take the job if offered and I would tell the head why.

Sadly it happens all the time, conversations like that amongst school staff.

When looking round schools for jobs, I cannot count the number of times comments or jokes have been made when men are amongst the prospective candidates, or older women, about how at least they won't be taking maternity leave.

One headteacher even said he had been 'messed around' with too many of his teachers taking maternity leave over the last few years and not wanting that to happen with any new employees he takes on. The men all chuckled and said "well at least you won't have that worry if you choose one of us"!

I didn't bother sending in my application for that school.

fledtoscotland Wed 28-Nov-12 09:35:18

Sorry I know it's not funny but unless its direct discrimination I'm not sure what can be done.

fledtoscotland Wed 28-Nov-12 09:34:05

I would chuckle quietly to self as now maternity leave can be taken by either parent grin

poorbuthappy Wed 28-Nov-12 08:12:06

DH had an interview yesterday (teaching).

At lunch whilst the 5 candidates (all men) were sat around the table with 2 governors.
1 commented to the other that at least they didn't have to worry about maternity leave and all the issues involved.

Is this as bad as I feel it is?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now