I was verbally offered (& accepted) a new job yesterday, formal offer letter in the post so I haven't actually handed my notice in yet. It is likely I will start my new job first week in Jan.
I have two holidays booked for next year - 3 days in UK first week in March & 10 days abroad at the beginning of May. I stupidly didn't mention it when they offered me the job so what do I do now? I would sacrifice the UK break if absolutely necessary as I would only loose about £60.
What do we think my chances are of them agreeing to both? Do I wait until I start or speak to them beforehand? I think they are going to phone me next week to see how everything is progressing.
Well, I personally would wait til joining for requesting may holiday. That's quite far advanced. You should get away with it. You can always say was an Xmas gift...
I would fess up to march tho, simply as manners, particularly if around Easter? Not sure off hand when that is this year. 3 days in first 3 mths is not nec unreasonable and if a perm/ft role u would have banked that roughly.
13 days in first 6mths particularly if perm/ft considering periods chosen doesn't seem overly rude or unusual. Don't book more tho without knowing more about cover issues/expected work busy periods is best further advice.
It's not a 24/7 job but not sure how cover arrangements etc work plus other people in the team may have time booked. Pretty sure the March days are a couple of weeks before Easter (these are for my bday).
Think I would only need 6days off in May as just looked & it's Saturday-Monday but would prefer a recovery day at the end.
flowery the May dates are not a dealbreaker but I would loose the best part of £600 so not keen!
The A/L entitlement is 28days so if I used bear minimum of 9days within first 5 ish months I think it is reasonable?
I will ask about March dates when they ring next week.
I would talk to them now before you hand your notice in. You really don't want to start a new job with any kind of sense that either of you aren't entering into the contract honestly. I'd say exactly what you've said here and I think it's fine not to mention it until you're actually offered the position formally.
HR might not agree with me but it's never counted against me in any job I've gone for.
I wouldn't wait for May. I'd be upfront about both. They may or may not be able to accommodate May, but the earlier you ask the more likely it is. Also, for most people if they know someone has booked something before joining, they will agree the holiday if at all possible. No one would want you to lose £600 unless absolutely necessary.
If you just wait until you join and then request in the usual way, you won't be able to tell them you've booked it, and you are no more likely to get it than anyone else.
I agree that you need to tell them before you sign and return the contract. I started a job in Oct and went on holiday for 2 weeks in Nov so I asked for and was granted unpaid leave for the duration but I informed them at my 2nd interview and it was part of my starting Ts and Cs.
It shouldn't be a problem. Any decent work place will honour pre- booked holidays. I was in your situation in June and nearly threw a flight away (cheaper than trying to change the dates in the booking) but my new boss was great about it when I had the courage to mention it. I worked three weeks, then went on holiday for 3 1/2 weeks! Absolutely fine although it meant I have no more leave until the end of the year. So in my opinion definitely worth asking about.