Should I be worried about this?

(17 Posts)
blanksquit Mon 26-Nov-12 14:42:14

Might help to have a look at your sickness/absence policy. They should be treating everybody the same so it should say what the triggers are for absence meetings.

elkiedee Mon 26-Nov-12 14:12:34

It sounds like standard procedure, but significant. It may be box ticking at this stage, but if you do have further health problems and need to take more time off, they would probably take it into account.

Are you a union member? Have they said anything about representation? Can you ask if you can be accompanied to the interview, by a friend or colleague if you're not a union member? Hopefully at this stage it is just making sure that they've gone through procedures but still, any formal process has to be taken seriously.

NoraGainesborough Fri 23-Nov-12 15:37:29

At our work we have s meeting regarding every three months for 12 months, when someone has had significant time off.

We have meetings every three months (or more offer if the employee requests it) if there is an on going issue. Like depression or maybe a back problem for example. That is sp we can make sure we are zoo g everything we can to support them at work.

ScienceOfSellingYouselfShort Fri 23-Nov-12 15:36:37

Thanks YoullScream

I am much better, still have stiff days (the disc was in my neck so affected both back and arm) but I don't mention it at work, as I said, they're struggling financially and wouldn't want my medical problem affecting my job stability. Which is why I'm worried now this has come up but fingers crossed it is them being late with it.

ScienceOfSellingYouselfShort Fri 23-Nov-12 15:30:01

No adaptations were made when I returned, both myself and my consultant didn't feel the need to make any.

YoullScreamAboutItOneDay Fri 23-Nov-12 15:29:58

The mat leave doesn't count as absence though. Sounds like one of those one off episodes of ill health that unfortunately happen. Glad you are on the mend - sounds painful.

ScienceOfSellingYouselfShort Fri 23-Nov-12 15:25:04

I only returned to work at the end of last year after a years maternity leave. Before then, there has never been any concern regarding absence. My condition happened whilst on ML (prolapsed spine disc).

YoullScreamAboutItOneDay Fri 23-Nov-12 15:23:24

I suspect then that they are just being tardy with doing what ItsAll describes. Anything disciplinary related should happen promptly after your return to work. I suspect that they have just realised they never did a proper return to work thingy with you re adaptions etc and are getting it in now.

PS if it was an actual formal disciplinary the letter should have said so, and said you could bring a colleague or trade union rep with you, so it almost certainly isn't one of those.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 23-Nov-12 15:21:04

Depending on what the issue was they may just want to make sure they are covered occ health wise - eg if it was an ongoing issue they may need to put in place adaptations etc

ScienceOfSellingYouselfShort Fri 23-Nov-12 15:20:42

No, not a single day off since then.

ScienceOfSellingYouselfShort Fri 23-Nov-12 15:19:24

I've had reviews, notes from physios and from doctors etc so each absence has been well covered. All above board and correct procedures followed.

YoullScreamAboutItOneDay Fri 23-Nov-12 15:17:57

You haven't had any time off since June? So the last four months have been full attendance? I would say it is probably standard procedure. If they were going to put you on some sort of review/plan they ought to have done it a lot more promptly.

ScienceOfSellingYouselfShort Fri 23-Nov-12 15:15:33

That's what I'm hoping, just them ticking a box. My concern is them finding ways to get rid of staff (the company has been going through financial problems this year) and the last thing I want is to be put under review, end up ill in the near future and them say 'last straw, sorry'.

I may be looking too far in to it though!

YDdraigGoch Fri 23-Nov-12 15:12:17

Probably standard procedure. Can you reassure your employer that whatever issue you had/have is now cured or under control, and that you won't be needing any more time off? What was your absence record like before these particular issues?

The company seem to have left it a long time before calling you in for a chat though.

iliketea Fri 23-Nov-12 15:11:56

I would guess it's standard procedure. Did you see occ health before you returned / have reviews of yor absences before you went back?

Where I work, a trigger for.review is done after 3 abscenses in 6 months, repeated.after 6 weeks then for.up.to.12 months.

ForkInTheForeheid Fri 23-Nov-12 15:10:53

Sounds like standard procedure to me, however you should have access to the relevant policies through your work. If you've been in work without absence since June then it should just be a ticky box exercise to say that you don't anticipate ongoing absences being a problem that will require a change to your working pattern or whatever. Probably depends upon your employer though (my experience is public sector).

ScienceOfSellingYouselfShort Fri 23-Nov-12 15:06:56

For the first half of this year I had some serious medical issues which resulted in me having a lot of time off work. From Jan to June I probably had in total 3 months off (was signed off 3 times before finally getting a diagnosis). I haven't had a day off since going back in June.

Today I received a letter from work to have a meeting next week regarding my 'significant level of absence'.

Is this a standard procedure or one to be worried about?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now