Giving feedback to a colleague

(3 Posts)
morleylass Wed 21-Nov-12 19:26:11

Thanks bigwuss that information is really helpful, I will have a think about what I want the outcome of the conversation to be to be and use some of the tips from the link.

Bigwuss Wed 21-Nov-12 18:27:58

I agree with your DH, try to solve the issue without involving management. it is a helpful skill to be able to manage feedback and difficult conversations.
If you discuss it with him first it is likely to have less of a negative impact on your working relationship as you should as part of the discussion get his perception of what happened which is likely to be different to yours.

If it were me, I would work out want I want to get from the conversation first. Do you not want to the work or just understand the reasons why.
this is a nice guide to feedback conversations.

morleylass Wed 21-Nov-12 16:37:44

I just want to get an opinion or two about a situation at work.

I was at a meeting yesterday and a colleague who is in my team, but a higher level said something which annoyed me, basically saying i must do something and when i questioned the purpose of why, was basically told that we should do it as he is senior to me (not my manager). At the time I just carried on professionally but was really annoyed. I spoke to another colleague also in the meeting who is at the same level as me and he felt the same as I did.

The colleague who has annoyed me is newly promoted and has significantly less experience than myself so although I am happy to do things differently just telling me I need to do it because he is senior is not a good enough reason IMO, if I really understood the rationale behind the conversation I think it would be more palatable.

My husband who is a senior manager says that I should not approach my manager and raise my concerns until I have fed back to the person concerned how he made me feel etc. I could and probably will do this, however as he has pulled rank on me I feel he should be senior enough to consider how his message would be received by his colleagues.

I'm sorry if this seems cryptic but I don't like giving tmi.
So is this the right thing to do, should I feedback to him how he made me feel or should I just ignore it, or mention it to my manager?

Any thoughts?
MLx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now