Flexible working request declined :(

(8 Posts)

Thank you ISing it's been pretty rough, sadly I need them much more than they need me so will have to suck it up and keep buying the lottery tickets

queenofthepirates Wed 14-Nov-12 18:22:19

FWIW I had my flexible working request turned down so I said nuts to them, left and started my own business. Now working successfully and spending quality time with my DD. Turned out my skills were transferable and very useful!

ISingSoprano Wed 14-Nov-12 18:19:55

Oh, I'm so sorry, it sounds like you have had a real roller coaster of a time in the last few years. You can appeal the decision - the benefit to the business is that they don't lose a motivated, experienced member of staff.

Thanks Knotty sad

Can't afford to drop the salary whistlestop I'm the main earner in our family and would mean losing around £600pcm which we just can't make up in cutbacks. But yes I think it's a morale issue. Though the rest of my team are mainly 40+ year old men who play golf on a Friday avo under the guise of networking (but that's another issue grin)

Correct procedure was followed ising today was the meeting following my written request. They are going to formally respond in writing within 14 days. I suspect the written reason may be different that what I was told today hmm

To be honest I knew they wouldn't agree, there's no real benefit to them except to keep me happy and I understand they're not going to do that to the detriment of the team morale. I can't really complain they've been pretty good - this is my 2nd period of mat leave in 18 months as sadly dd2 died at birth and we had dd3 less than a year later so it was a lot to expect. Just gutted sad

ISingSoprano Wed 14-Nov-12 16:43:51

I'm really sorry to hear you have had your request declined. Did you follow the correct procedure for making the request? flexible working request

whistlestopcafe Wed 14-Nov-12 16:42:10

Is there a possibility that you could request to work 4 days and receive 4 days pay?

A lot of organisations are not keen on people working compressed hours. I have recently dealt with a company that huge morale problems because of some of the team working compressed hours.

KnottyLocks Wed 14-Nov-12 16:38:49

Oh bum. Sorry to hear this.

No expert but I thought they had to show that it would be detrimental to business in some way or that the job couldn't be done in the hours requested.

Hope someone is along soon who can help.

I had asked if I could return doing full time hours compressed in to 4 day week so I could have 1 day with dd who will be 6 months when I go back.

My boss verbally told me no today as 'it wouldn't be fair on the rest of the team and she couldn't justify it to them' my counter arguments were:

A) the role is target driven and I will still have to hit the same targets as them
B) No-one else in the team has young children

Can they decline based on 'the rest of the team won't like it and will all want to do the same?

I'm so gutted and trying not to cry. Can't afford to request a true 4 day week so this was my only option to get a bit of extra time with dd.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now