Are work bu?

(32 Posts)
dolcegusto123 Thu 08-Nov-12 19:20:45

I am due to return to work from maternity leave in 3 weeks. I work 30 hours per week over 3 days and this is the amount of hours stated on my contract. My boss has sent me a letter today saying they cant give me the same shifts and want me to pick from either a 20 or 37 shift pattern over 5 days.
Can they do this?
On another note if i work 5 days instead of 3 my nursery fees wll go from 350 to 800 per month and i just cant afford that.

Any advice would be great thanks

pmcblonde Fri 09-Nov-12 14:09:08

If your Union rep is rubbish you can get the regional rep involved - they are often far more experienced and don't take any nonsense from anyone

dolcegusto123 Fri 09-Nov-12 15:57:16

Hope I have done the right thing but have just sent this email to my manager. I just wanted it in writing for them to confirm the changes he wants to make. I have edited my days and times of work just in case this makes anyone in RL recognize me. Sorry to keep going on but am so worried about what I am going to do and what will happen in the end.

Dear Boss

Can I just clarify a few things with you regarding my hours before I progress with making arrangements to return.

My working hours before going on maternity leave were DAY 1, DAY 2 and DAY 3 XXX AM to XXX PM This was a 30 hour working week.

You have advised these hours are no longer suitable.

I have been provided with either 20 or 37 hour shift patterns and you have advised me to select one of these.

Can I ask if 30 hour weeks are no longer available within our department and if people who also selected the same 30 hour shift pattern have now been given the same options as me.

Has there been a change to everyone shifts while I have been off or is this change only affecting myself. Can I also check if I had not been on mat leave would my shifts been changed.

Thanks

Dolce Gusto

dolcegusto123 Fri 09-Nov-12 15:58:24

I know this would maybe be better in employment now but how do I get the thread moved?

dolcegusto123
I think that email is a good start because it may make it easier for you to link the changes to the fact you have been on maternity leave e.g. if other people have been allowed to continue with the same shift pattern and you are the only one required to change.

If you report your post to MNHQ - click on "report" on the top right of your own post you can send MNHQ a message asking them to move the thread.

WelshMaenad Fri 09-Nov-12 17:35:57

I would advise getting some free advice from ACAS. They were Fabius for me. www.acas.org.uk will give you lots of info and a helpline number.

WelshMaenad Fri 09-Nov-12 17:36:13

Fabius? Fabulous!!!

Rockchick1984 Mon 12-Nov-12 12:12:58

Dolce what does your contract state about working patterns? My previous role stated my working hours were 37 hours per week, between 6am Monday and 8pm Sunday. Obviously I didn't work all those times, and in reality I worked set days, but with notice of around 4 weeks they could decide to start rota-ing me in for weekend work, or evenings. When you said about them expecting you to work Saturdays, just wondered if that was the case for you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now