Was I wrong to confront my work colleague?

(16 Posts)
bengal38 Fri 05-Oct-12 18:17:30

Today at work (I work in as a Kitchen Assistant) part of my job is to clean the oven. As I was cleaning it my work colleague came and told me that I was cleaning it too early and she had food still in the oven. I apologised and thought nothing more of it. But 10 minutes later she came over to me in-front of the boss and said to me "Why did you switch off the oven?". I told her I didn't switch off the oven and she walked away looking really pxxxxd off. Later on another work colleague came to me and told me that the Boss told her that even though she knows I would not switch off the oven intentionally it may have been done by accident without me realising it. The Boss then said to her that I know you always stick up for xxxx but she probably didn't realise it got switched off. I then went back to my work colleague and apologised (in-front of the Boss) for what happened to the oven. I told her I didn't intentionally switch the oven off but I may have accidentally while I was cleaning the top of the oven pushed the button off. I also told her that if I did realise that I switched off the oven I would have put the oven back on. She then told me that even if that did happen there is no way the oven would of switched itself off. I told her that I didn't want to stand and argue with her over the oven and she told me to forget about it. Was I wrong to confront her again or should I have just kept quiet. My husband thinks I shouldn't have gone back to apologise to her as I told her already I didn't switch off the oven. My other work colleague said it has made me look like the bigger better person as I did this in-front of my Boss.

lisaro Fri 05-Oct-12 18:27:30

So you tried to clean an oven that was on, with food in it, and didn't notice?confused

NotmylastRolo Fri 05-Oct-12 18:33:17

Maybe your colleague was having a bad day? No need for her to be so grumpy but sometimes we all get bad days. Don't take it to heart as you did the big thing and apologised. xxx

OneHandFlapping Fri 05-Oct-12 18:34:25

I agree with your friend. Plus, although it was probably stressful and upsetting at the time, in the scheme of things the whole event doesn't sound that big a deal. Try and forget about it. It's not worth stressing over.

bengal38 Fri 05-Oct-12 18:41:59

To Lisaro, I was cleaning the top of the oven.

zippey Fri 05-Oct-12 18:54:11

You have a clear concieunce because even if you had switched it off you didnt do it out of malice. You didnt confront her, you tried to make it right, but she was in the mood for an argument. Just be the better person and forget it.

lisaro Fri 05-Oct-12 18:55:08

Sorry - I thought you meant the oven - I call that the hob.

bengal38 Fri 05-Oct-12 19:06:43

To Lisaro
Sorry as well - you are right I should of said the hob

lisaro Fri 05-Oct-12 19:08:10

Sooty as well-just re reading and I come across as snotty. Just trying to condense sentences as on my phone and CBA typing. grin

lisaro Fri 05-Oct-12 19:08:34

Fuck. Sorry NOT sooty.

zippey Fri 05-Oct-12 19:21:14

Sweep from me

lisaro Fri 05-Oct-12 19:25:45

All we need now is bungle!! grin

Casmama Fri 05-Oct-12 19:27:18

Surely if there was food in the oven then the hob would be hot? Either way I don't think it did any harm to apologise.

bengal38 Fri 05-Oct-12 19:30:43

To Casmama
The hob is gas not electric so if you have a gas hob/oven and the oven is on the top of the oven isn't hot.

bengal38 Fri 05-Oct-12 19:33:06

Sorry meant to say if the hob is on the top of the oven then the hob isn't hot

annh Fri 05-Oct-12 21:09:38

I thought this whole "I said/she said" scenario sounded familiar and indeed Bengal, you have posted several times about issues with this job before. What happened to your extended probationary period? Have you now passed that?

You seem to be rather over-thinking very small issues and things that might be better left once they have happened and been dealt with seem to be revisited and made into a bigger deal than they were initially. If you really want to keep this job, you are probably better served concentrating on the job in hand at the time (e.g. noticing that the oven was still hot and had food in when you started cleaning the hob) and not subsequently getting involved in discussions with a variety of colleagues, making more apologies, worrying about whether the apology has been accepted etc. You sound very anxious about the whole job and I suspect come across as a bit exhausting to manage.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now