Whatl else can I do?

(7 Posts)

Shakey, really feel for you, that must be horrible.

Ioness and Steven thanks for the suggestion. That does sound interesting. I can type reasonably fast. Once you've done the course, how do you get the work? Is it through an agency?

steventhompson Fri 23-Nov-12 05:10:05

Being an MT can be tedious (like a PP mentioned- she sits on her own all day) but it's a good way to be home and earn some money, even when the LOs are around. If you already work in the healthcare industry, training for it can be easy. Plus, you can take a medical transcription course online, which will make it even more easy and flexible for you.

ioness Wed 26-Sep-12 22:25:17

I do audio typing (amongst other things) for a medical practice.

There are transcription jobs about that are home based. But you need a good typing speed and a foot pedal.

I work 9.15am to around 1pm Monday to Friday and have flexibility to attend the odd meeting or school play. I don't get many holidays as there's nobody to cover but I don't mind too much, as having an only I quite like her having people to play with for half the day in the school holidays. I have to work even if I'm feeling really ill as it has to be done. But I'm not ill that often and can do the bare minimum on those days.

Only downside - I sit on my own all day.

Shakey1500 Wed 26-Sep-12 20:16:23

At present I work PT on Saturdays and Sundays (when DH is off) but soon I'll be FT Mon-Fri which will invlove dropping DS at breakfast club at 7am (REALLY looking forward to doing that! Not.) then home for 5pm (DH will have finished at 1pm). So will have a couple of hours with DS each day Mon-Fri and weekends off.

ooer Wed 26-Sep-12 20:13:33

I work for a local authority, 37 hrs a week, flexitime, business support role. Rubbish holidays but at least I can build up my flexitime hours and take up to 2 days off a month.

Jellybellyrbest Mon 24-Sep-12 22:48:01

Watching with interest....

I work part time 3 days a week in a job I loathe. It is pressured beyond belief - it is health based. I should love it, great holidays (LO just started school and fits in nicely with this), great hours and near to home. But I just hate it. To those of you with primary age children - what jobs do you do that fit around them (within reason!), as I need to get the hell out of mine before I have a nervous breakdown or hit someone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now