Student Health Visitor Interview!!

(1000 Posts)
chewie29 Mon 16-Apr-12 14:56:16

Hi all.
I am currently a staff nurse on maternity leave and I have been very lucky, I have managed to get an interview for a Student Health Visitor Post tomorrow. Has anyone any advice they can give me for the actual interview? I am stressing as it is something I have wanted to do for a long time! I have send by little man over to his nans this afternoon so I can concentrate, I have just been getting more stressed as the day goes on. I have been preparing for the interview for some time but I'm worried my nerves will ruin it for me! Any advice or tips would be great. Thank you.

smileysunflower Thu 21-Mar-13 18:39:17

Hi, I have just had my HV interview today (North East), think it went ok, but I felt that I waffled on in parts, though got the right answer.

Apparently I have done very well even to get an interview, as there have been so many applications, and there are only 10 training places. Here's hoping I am one of the 10!

emkatalmasi Thu 21-Mar-13 19:50:25

Hello everyone. Just wondered whether anybody on here has applied for the Sept 2013 HV course at Sheffield Hallam Uni and got an interview? It's been almost 3 weeks since the closing date and I haven't heard anything so it doesn't look like I've been shortlisted but I wish I knew for certain so that I can stop torturing myself checking emails 20 times a day! :-(

nervouslywating Thu 21-Mar-13 20:21:14

Why don't you phone admissions and ask if they have short listed yet? Someone I know did this last year and said it was a good job she did, as she had been short listed but for some reason they hadn't sent her the email. If it were me I would check.
My interview is in the morning and I am so nervous. Just doing some last minute cramming now. I've been revising for weeks now but still feel unprepared :-)

kitcat15 Thu 21-Mar-13 22:34:08

Hi everyone
anybody got an interview for liverpool john moores , i got my email today...its one step closer i suppose but i am soooo nervus at interviews...
good luck everyone with an interview coming up x

Lpool123 Thu 21-Mar-13 23:17:41

Autumn daisy, I have applied for liverpool John moores. I believe they started to ahort list on Friday and there were over 400 applicants so it will probably take them a while! Hoping to hear in the next few weeks! Xx

Lpool123 Thu 21-Mar-13 23:17:56

Short list*

Lpool123 Thu 21-Mar-13 23:19:37

Well done kitcat15. I'm still waiting to hear, did you apply via Ljmu or on the nhs jobs website?

laura2013 Thu 21-Mar-13 23:21:45

I applied for john moores but not got an email. did you apply direct to the uni or to liverpool community health?

emkatalmasi Fri 22-Mar-13 08:25:37

Thanks nervouslywaiting, that's a good idea. Good luck with your interview! smile

Sydney69 Fri 22-Mar-13 11:21:45

Has anyone heard from London Deanery yet ? I thought they said it was going to take a week. I'm not that hopeful but still want to know for sure !

LarRomMum Fri 22-Mar-13 11:55:55

Hi emkatalmasi

I got an email from sheffield on wednesday saying I had been shortlisted and will hear from them shortly about an interview date. Hope this helps.

AutumnDaisy Fri 22-Mar-13 14:57:20

Thanks Lpool123, I applied through the uni and still haven't heard anything. I'm thinking they'll surely let us know by next week, as it's Easter hols after that and interviews are April aren't they? Well done kitcat15! Fingers crossed Lpool123 and Laura2013!! Hope we hear good news soon xx

emkatalmasi Fri 22-Mar-13 15:20:57

To LarRomMum - thanks for that. Yes it helps. I haven't heard anything at all so I'm guessing that means that I haven't been shortlisted then sad Ah well, I'll just have to keep trying. At least it means that I can stop obsessively checking emails now! Congratulations on being shortlisted yourself & the best of luck with your interview!

LarRomMum Fri 22-Mar-13 15:46:37

Thanks emkatalmasi

If its any consolation, I applied last year and didn't get shortlisted. So I am one step futher than last year. Keep trying, I think if you really want it persistance will pay off.

kitcat15 Fri 22-Mar-13 17:41:35

Hi there Autumn Daisy, laura 2013 and Lpool123
nice to be in touch with others from my area.
i applied direct to Liverpool community health, i think they are doing those interviews before briegdwater and knowsley ones even though their advert went on later, if that makes sense, i also know people who have applied direct to uni and they havent heard anything so don't lose hope, keep posting and good luck...the waiting is rubbish isnt it!
kk15 x

kitcat15 Fri 22-Mar-13 17:45:26

ps my interview date is 9th april if that healps to know
kk x

AutumnDaisy Fri 22-Mar-13 18:46:17

Oh thank you kitcat, that makes me feel more hopeful! Is it just an interview or do you have to do a presentation/assignment too? Yes the waiting is awful! I'm glad it's the weekend so I can stop obsessing over my emails for a couple of days! Thanks again and good luck! x

Tink64 Fri 22-Mar-13 20:40:30

I have an interview at the university of Hull on 18 April - nervous and excited and finding the posts on here really helpful -has anyone else here applied in Hull?

Caggers85 Fri 22-Mar-13 21:00:19

How many placements did you have on the course and how long are they. I understand there will be a variance between Uni's.
Thanks xxx

nervouslywating Sat 23-Mar-13 11:43:35

Hi e everyone, I had my interview on Friday and found out in the afternoon I had a place so I am made up and relieved now.
This thread really helped me to prepare and has been great. I would say to anyone applying to make sure their portfolio is really organised and up to date. We had a group exercise/role play type part of the interview. I googled what they would be looking for (and it is not the bolshy person who takes over lol) which really helped as I was worried about that part. As for the interview itself they do ask common sense questions like what can you bring to the role. I learned all about the HCP and the HV implementation plan, ECM, and safeguarding children. I would say you need to know about these and what "public health" actually means. Good luck to you all :-)

Pinkyblondeprincess Sat 23-Mar-13 14:33:09

Thanks for the info nervouslywaiting. Can you share what happened in group exercise, i cant find anything about it on Internet

Thanks xx

cath889 Sat 23-Mar-13 16:06:47

wow what a great thread to come across from google! I have the literacy and numeracy test at uni of Greenwich on tuesday, studying/refreshing for that as soon as kiddies are in bed, thanks for all the ideas for interview questions, topics and further reading. I am currently a staff nurse on an orthopaedic ward so will have to really sell myself and my transferable skills! I really want this and I hope my nerves don't get the better of me smile

cath889 Sat 23-Mar-13 16:50:06

pinkyblondeprincess which uni did you apply to?

Lpool123 Sat 23-Mar-13 17:00:52

Autumn Daisy, I'd imagine they'd have to let us know by next week. Thanks kitcat15 that gives us some hope!
I applied direct through uni and haven't heard anything so maybe they are short listing those people later. Just want to know now haha there were so many applicants too! Xx

tomvie Sat 23-Mar-13 17:42:50

Reply to Caggers85 about placements. usually you are just allocated one placement and a mentor/ practice teacher. You will stay in that area for the year. Not like pre reg when you move around. All areas run the course differently but they all have common elements in accordance with NMC requirements.for the majority of semester 1 you will have 1-2 days at Uni and 1-2 days placement with 1 study day. I know some uni's are going more to self online study this year but believe me this is not a good thing! you need the interaction of peers and tutorial support. It is mainly a cost cutting exercise.In second semester it continues much the same but there has to be a block of 10 weeks solid practice which will be fultime as this is designated by NMC rulings. There will also be 15 days of alternative experience which will be public health related and you organise yourself. Hope that helps.

This thread is not accepting new messages.