Student Health Visitor Interview!!

(1000 Posts)
chewie29 Mon 16-Apr-12 14:56:16

Hi all.
I am currently a staff nurse on maternity leave and I have been very lucky, I have managed to get an interview for a Student Health Visitor Post tomorrow. Has anyone any advice they can give me for the actual interview? I am stressing as it is something I have wanted to do for a long time! I have send by little man over to his nans this afternoon so I can concentrate, I have just been getting more stressed as the day goes on. I have been preparing for the interview for some time but I'm worried my nerves will ruin it for me! Any advice or tips would be great. Thank you.

missymoo228 Wed 06-Mar-13 10:42:42

Hi all, I am thinking about HV training too. Gardenerschoice did you have your second interview? How did it go? What did they ask? Really good advice on this thread xx

dannibear2008 Wed 06-Mar-13 13:20:31

hi ladies my interview is also mansfield, i am stressing so much too. i hope i dont sound stupid but just wanted to double check tha the presentation is on policies and how it is put into practice? i just wanted to make sure. good luck with all your interviews x

Leah80 Wed 06-Mar-13 14:05:55

Hi dannibear2008 feel free to message me. Me and hols16 are doing the same interview as you.

As for the presentation that is my understanding of it, I agree it's a little confusing when all we have is a title to go on x

Nirvana3 Wed 06-Mar-13 21:08:43

Hi everyone, nice to meet you all. I was wondering if some one might be able to help me . Am very worried as i have a literacy & numeracy assessment next week with london deanery . Unfortunately at the time of filling my application form for the deanery my father became very unwell and i rushed it providing very short answers to the questionnaire section. Will this mean that i will fail the assessment?is it still worth me going? I really want to be a health visitor.thanks for any advice.
Lily x

LuceF2001 Thu 07-Mar-13 05:16:14

Hello!
I have read this forum since the end of last year, and have finally got round to registering and posting on here. Hope your all well and hope those who have upcoming interviews, hope it all goes well, good luck!
I applied for a place at Southampton University last october, but I let my nerves get the better of me and unfortunately I didnt get a place. But I reapplied to Berkshire nhs trust when they were advertising, uni at Oxford Brookes and I got the place!!!
just wondering if there is anybody else on here starting at oxford brookes in sept this year and who are going to be based in newbury or reading for placements?
:-)

Leah80 Thu 07-Mar-13 07:36:37

LuceF2001 well done on getting a place! Any tips for those of us who are waiting to attend interview would be great. Hope you can find someone who's starting with you in September x

Pirates Sat 09-Mar-13 09:34:21

Hie everyone. I just thought I should update you all. I got the health visiting place. Thank you once again to Xmaddogx and this site for all the helpful input.

Lpool123 Sat 09-Mar-13 12:59:06

Hey everyone, I applied for the student health visitor role and to my surprise I got an interview!! It's is Thursday and its a group discussion, maths and literacy test and an individual interview too! Its not in my area so i am travelling down on wednesday, scary! Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

tomvie Sat 09-Mar-13 20:11:18

Just a message of support for Nirvana3. You have got through to the first stage of the process and they wouldn't have even put you through this far if your answers to the questions on your application form had been terrible. Not everyone gets to the numeracy and literacy stage. Do go to the interview and be confident. I am a student HV now and half way through the course. Read this thread it has some great advice and tips. Just remember they are not trying to trick you just to see if you are academically able to do the course and also that you have the right personality & qualities to be a HV. Good luck.

thyra30 Sun 10-Mar-13 06:41:39

@Tomvie since u're half way through maybe u can help me. I have secured a place due to start in September but I am very nervous. Can you give me any help/ advice perhaps some reading list or websites etc. That will be really helpful! !!

Leah80 Sun 10-Mar-13 07:01:17

Tomvie how are you finding the course? It is as full on as people say, are you enjoying it?

TitHead Sun 10-Mar-13 09:07:06

Hi everyone. I'm hoping to apply next year. Missed this year for personal reasons but will use the next 11 months to turn myself in to the best possible applicant. Other than trying to get some shadowing experience is there anything else I could be doing?

Leah80 Sun 10-Mar-13 19:42:40

Wow Derby only had their post open for about 7 days and its closed already, good job I applied as soon as I saw it, must be popular there. Hoping I get one of the Notts jobs though as they are closer to home x

Sydney69 Sun 10-Mar-13 21:11:33

Hi Lillly,Good luck on the day, I'm on the same assessment day as you. As a previous member said your application would have been fine or else you wouldn't have been invited for an assessment. I have to say I'm dreading the assessment more than the interview. I hate exams of any sort ! On a positive note to everyone I have done this course but on the district nurse route and yes, it was hard but everyone is in the same boat and you get a lot of pier group support. I have lived to tell the tale, so it's not all doom and gloom for the year smile.

Littlelegs5 Sun 10-Mar-13 21:20:33

Hey everyone. I have applied to do the health visitor course have found this thread really useful. I have an interview in 2 weeks. On the interview invite it says I will be assessed on my portfolio so was wondering if anyone has advice of what will be good to put in it. Thanks x

bexg123 Sun 10-Mar-13 21:27:37

Was just wanting to know how old you all are! Sorry ladies, should never ask, but Im 19.. I have 3 HV interviews but do you guys think Im too young? x

Hols16 Mon 11-Mar-13 10:59:31

Bexg123
How can you only be 19 when nurse training takes 3 years and you can't start till 17 and u have to be nurse/midwife to become a health visitor?!!

bexg123 Mon 11-Mar-13 11:30:38

I started just after my 17th birthday, currently on 3rd year for adult nursing, by September when I qualifiy I'll be 20? Hope that makes sense.. x

Hols16 Mon 11-Mar-13 11:48:18

oh right! so you are wanting to go straight into health visiting. Im with you! good luck, im not sure if they will think you are too young or not, i was worried about that and im 30!

Leah80 Mon 11-Mar-13 14:35:20

Most of the jobs I've seen advertised either want 1 or 2 years experience before you can apply but I'm sure I read somewhere that someone had gotten a place straight from nurse training. Can't help you otherwise on the age front as I'm 33 but good luck x

Gardenerschoice Mon 11-Mar-13 18:08:14

Good luck mumsykinns on 13 th. I had my interview, not sure how it went as I was so nervous. On reflection I messed up, wished i was more confident have to play the waiting game now, ( after your assesment and interview) so about a month. It's going to feel I've a life time
Navan3 I think if you have an assesment your application has been accepted, go for it and good luck

Bella01372 Mon 11-Mar-13 20:12:19

Mumsykinns, i have just picked up this thread. I also am going to assessment day in guildford on march 13th. I have only found out today though so am frantically trying to prepare.....

mumsykinns Tue 12-Mar-13 11:09:58

Hi Gardenerschoice! Good to see you back on here! Maybe it wasn't as bad as you think after all everyone will be nervous....what sort of thing did they ask at second interview? I bet it wasn't nearly as bad as you think....keep in touch...really will keep everything crossed for you... I have major butterflies about tomorrow..I get incredibly nervous in interview and particularly dreading the group bit it sounds a nightmare...Hi Bella! Hey maybe I will see you there! Which slot are you in? Its so nerve wracking isn't it..this thread has been amazingly helpful. Good luck! x

AutumnDaisy Tue 12-Mar-13 12:04:24

Hi everyone, I applied for the course last month and am waiting to hear if I've got an interview (fingers and toes crossed!). They said they're short-listing in March and interviewing in April. Just thought I'd join in the discussion while I wait (patiently of course...) to hear. Good luck to all who've applied! x

Leah80 Tue 12-Mar-13 12:55:40

Hello AutumnDaisy where have you applied to? Good luck x

This thread is not accepting new messages.