Student Health Visitor Interview!!

(1000 Posts)
chewie29 Mon 16-Apr-12 14:56:16

Hi all.
I am currently a staff nurse on maternity leave and I have been very lucky, I have managed to get an interview for a Student Health Visitor Post tomorrow. Has anyone any advice they can give me for the actual interview? I am stressing as it is something I have wanted to do for a long time! I have send by little man over to his nans this afternoon so I can concentrate, I have just been getting more stressed as the day goes on. I have been preparing for the interview for some time but I'm worried my nerves will ruin it for me! Any advice or tips would be great. Thank you.

Torriee Mon 25-Mar-13 19:18:48

Me too, I'm finding it difficult to get started! Good luck to you too!

nervouslywating Mon 25-Mar-13 20:00:57

Pinkyblondeprincess yes we had to take our portfolio to the interviews and they took them away to score them. They said at the open day that they would be looking to see models of reflection used and that we had been working towards a career in HV for a while with that evident in our profile.
As for your essay- google "attributes of a health visitor" which is a really good starting point (it is like a flow chart/spider diagram covering all attributes a HV needs and it's really good - let me know if you can't find it) then the HV job description and just relate all your transferable skills. Let us know how it goes!!!
I still have my numeracy test yet although I have been offered a place - they can always retract it should I fail it!! Still worried as know for me it's not a "done deal" yet and no idea what to expect re the numeracy test!!!

Pinkyblondeprincess Mon 25-Mar-13 20:04:12

Nervouslywaiting- thank you for all that information!!
It wasnt mentioned at the open day about bringing portfolio but maybe its just a given!!

Pinkyblondeprincess Mon 25-Mar-13 20:08:54

Nervouslywaiting- is the 'attributes of a HV' a document/spider chart on department of health website?
Thank u for the info x

Sydney69 Mon 25-Mar-13 20:14:28

Nervouslywaiting, the numeracy exam had rounding up, ratios, and basically everything on the example paper they had on the London deanery website . Essential keep a cool head, I know I lost 3 marks for really stupid mistakes.

Leah80 Mon 25-Mar-13 20:27:08

How did you show you had been working towards a hv career? Thanks

nervouslywating Mon 25-Mar-13 20:36:00

Pinkyblondeprincess yes that's it on the doh website. I found it really useful and used it to link transferable skills in my personal statement as well as for the interview.

As for relating my intention to move in to a HV career I had reflected on some personal learning I had done - safeguarding training and some reading on post natal depression - and put that I was interested in a move into this area - just that sort of thing. Annual mandatory training on safeguarding last yr in my reflection I also conveyed the same. It's something I had been thinking of for a while but I am sure you can slot something in somewhere. As I qualified rather a long time ago (20 yrs lol) reflecting isn't something we really did in our portfolios but luckily for me I always have done, and I put reflections In on every day happenings in my clinical workplace. I had been able to mention my intention to change career path in there.
Thanks for the numeracy test info!! I will go have a look now!!!

Pinkyblondeprincess Mon 25-Mar-13 22:06:50

5 hours on the essay and 800 words done..think this is going to take me forever!! Had to stop now as was seeing two computer screens lol.
Nervouslywaiting- congrats on getting a place- go on gcse bitesize for maths practice!!

Ps anyone have idea of types of questions might be asked at interview??

Moochi1986 Tue 26-Mar-13 11:55:36

Hi everyone!

I had my interview yesterday. Wow it was a very full on day but a great experience. I wasn't asked about policy's, healthy child programme, Field, Tickle, Allen, Munro or any research although I would recommend looking into current health issues in the UK! I wasn't asked about safeguarding which shocked me!!! Despite not getting asked about the above I mentioned that I had read them which demonstrated that I was well prepared. I felt that the interview was more about how you would deal with situations, what you are like as a person etc. Sell yourself and demonstrate how much you want it!!!! Be prepared to be asked about challenges you may have with studying and working and if you come from a Adult background.

I am now waiting for see if I have been offered a job!! Fingers, toes, legs crossed!

Good luck everyone and thank you for all your help!!!! Xxxx

Lpool123 Tue 26-Mar-13 19:36:26

Autumn daisy/ Laura 2013 have you heard from Ljmu? Or has anyone else? Still waiting nervously! X

tomvie Tue 26-Mar-13 21:50:45

Part of the course is 15 days of alternative practice which you orgnaise yourself and will be things like working with enviromental health, social worker, housing etc. You get 6 weeks holiday spilt into blocks of 3 weeks - well ours is. Unfortunately it doesn't really correspond with kids school holidays which is a bit of a pain. There will be room for negotiation on holidays which you usually sort out with your practice teacher. There is also study leave which some uni's organise as blocks or give it you every week. We have had a mixture which has worked out ok.

I got on course first time and now over half way through. Do think that some of you are getting a bit of a grilling. They shouldn't be expecting you to know everything that is why you are doing the course. Try to relax and be yourself as much as anything they are looking for personality. good luck everyone. There has been a recent report out by Sally Kendall called Why Health Visiting? try to google it as it is quite a useful read for interview and may help some of you for assignment..

lou221291 Tue 26-Mar-13 22:25:25

Hi all i have been following this forum for weeks now since i applied to become a student health visitor it was really useful for applying and i have been luckily enough to get two interview one at liverpool and one at manchester! Anybody else got interveiws here too?

Lpool123 Wed 27-Mar-13 08:10:55

Lou221291 when did you hear from liverpool? I'm still waiting hoping they'll email soon! X

AutumnDaisy Wed 27-Mar-13 08:49:11

Hi Lpool123, I'm still waiting to hear too!! :-/ Trying not to lose hope just yet! x

Lpool123 Wed 27-Mar-13 10:33:06

Oh are you, I rang up and they're still short listing! Hope we hear soon! Xx

AutumnDaisy Wed 27-Mar-13 10:56:53

Oh did you, thank you for letting me know! This waiting is driving me loopy! x

Pinkyblondeprincess Wed 27-Mar-13 11:04:57

3 days in and think i have finally finished my essay for application!! As sick of the sight of it lol but have worked really hard on it. Thank u for everyone's advice now just need to hand in next week and see if been short listed for interview!!

lou221291 Wed 27-Mar-13 11:36:37

I found out early last week but i applied straight to liverpool community health this might be why you havent heard anything just yet if you applied to the uni i wouldnt worry especially as they said there still shortlisting! Good Luck!

liscav Wed 27-Mar-13 14:50:20

hi all, wow this is great - i am a soon to be newly qualified childrens nurse and have an interview for Dorset healthcare trust with potential for study at Bournemouth university. Interview is 9th April - anyone else got interview for Dorset or had one ?

cath889 Wed 27-Mar-13 18:31:37

pinkyblondeprincess - how are you doing with your essay? finished? I passed the literacy and numeracy and my interview is next week, eek! I'm having problems as the dh website has been replaced with something else and I can''t find the nsf! maybe not any other documents either it was only shut down or moved yesterday sad
I live in Tunbridge Wells, I'm hoping the furthest I will have to go in Dartford to be honest smile
Has anyone else tried to get documents from the dh website today?

cath889 Wed 27-Mar-13 19:05:23

Torrie were you in the same room as me doing the literacy and numeracy test at Greenwich i the Mary Seacole building? I have my interview on wednesday, I'm so worried!

Leah80 Wed 27-Mar-13 20:39:14

Put the policy title in google and then click on the dh link then choose archieved result and you should find it x

Leah80 Wed 27-Mar-13 20:41:09

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/PublicationsPolicyAndGuidance/Browsable‘Health Visiting Policy and its application to practice’ Please identify relevant policies to the Health Visiting service and choose one policy to apply to practice/DH_4094329

Here's the NSF link x

Lpool123 Wed 27-Mar-13 22:01:44

Got an interview for Birmingham but liverpool a would be ideal, need to hear tomorrow before the bank holiday weekend ha x

cath889 Wed 27-Mar-13 23:20:52

Thanks guys I found it in archive, I'm reading through at the same time as thinking of possible answers to potential questions I may be asked, my personal attributes, conflict resolution, transferable skills, what I could bring to health visiting and current government initiatives. The interview is 40 minutes long???

This thread is not accepting new messages.