Preparing for a Band 6 nursing interview - help please!

(16 Posts)
tiredemma Sun 12-Jun-11 19:40:17

I have just found out that I have been shortlisted for a Deputy Ward Managers post. I really want this job-

Now I have gone blank- I have no clue what to expect.

What type of questions can I expect?

any advice appreciated.

(had no concerns about my band 5 interview- I feel sick with anxiety!!)

cubscout Sun 12-Jun-11 20:59:34

Well done! And good luck.

Some management type questions, supervision, maybe a scenario or two, any relevant clinical stuff to your specialty, personal development (what do you want/ what might you need?)

tiredemma Sun 12-Jun-11 21:14:30

thanks- very helpful.

(got lots to read up on)

Think about how you keep patients safe. Patient safety is v big atm (thankfully!)
Also - v challenging financial climate - how will you manage with limited resources, shrinking resources etc.
What do you do if x doesn't turn up for work? Don't forget formal sickness/performance monitoring procedures to address the overall issue of staff absence as well as showing you can fire fight on the day.

What would you change?

What are you most proud of?

What's going on in your hospital atm? if you have any big action plans or building projects show that you know how your ward will fit in with that.

tiredemma Wed 15-Jun-11 17:33:41

thanks for the advice.

CharlotteBronteSaurus Wed 15-Jun-11 17:39:19

are you still forensic mental health? <not stalking, I've spoken with you on other threads under other names>

as a deputy ward manager i would swot up a little bit on the Mental Health Act, CPA procedures etc as you would be taking more responsibility in this area.
and SUI/incident reporting/AWOL procedures???

CharlotteBronteSaurus Wed 15-Jun-11 17:41:10

sorry - that read as though i am a deputy ward mgr which i'm not. but i do work on the clinical side in an MSU

Yes, can you clarify what area you are working in?

I have interviewed many band 6's over the years. I think the key is to remember that as much as you are supporting your juniors, the band 6 has an important role in supporting the ward sister. She needs to hear that her deputy will support her decisions, be able to manage the ward in her absence. This involves not only the practical tasks. But also to convey his/her culture and leadership in their absence.

It is always good to draw on experiences in interviews, so this demonstrates you know what the how is of something rather than the what. For example, how do you support juniors would be well answered with examples of how you have mentored, helped settle in new staff etc.

You will also need to demonstrate that you understand the need to give feedback to staff, both positive and negative in terms of performance and that you will be able to help staff improve performance via development and role modeling.

Most importantly, show a passion for nursing ad your service and try to clearly define how you will effect and improve patient experience.

Good luck smile

tiredemma Tue 21-Jun-11 10:04:44

thank you all. very valuable information offered here.

My interview is today. eek!

ladylush Thu 23-Jun-11 11:12:54

Saw this too late - how did the interview go?

tiredemma Sat 25-Jun-11 07:44:04

Got it!

thanks for asking smile

CharlotteBronteSaurus Sat 25-Jun-11 07:52:20

nice one grin
bet you'll be fab

ladylush Sat 25-Jun-11 11:23:12

Well done smile

Well done!

walid Sun 16-Nov-14 18:03:48

hello all, i have an interview this week for bamd 6 and i am experiencing the same problems. i am not sure what i will be asked. can you help please anyone?

walid Sun 16-Nov-14 18:19:17

do you get asked about managing ward budget please?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now