Affected by Dementia? We have a new Talk topic specifically for Dementia, please do pop over and take a look

Visit the Dementia Talk topic

Encouraging drinking / not enough fluids

(9 Posts)
shortscotty Mon 05-Sep-16 18:34:51

Hi, background story is I help my FIL out, though he lives independantly I do his cleaning and dh sees to his showers so semi independent semi reliant perhaps. multiple health issues in the past and no diagnosis of his health now but gets confused and mobility is failing. Part of this is down to the old issues and to be honest a bit of a lazy attitude at rehab. He just isn't interested and whenever I have mentioned depression before the doc/ nurse didn't acknowledge
Anyway major issue at the moment is how confused he is, even seemingly vacant. I know he has had a kidney infection recently and trying to get him to drink more but he just doesn't seem to want to.

Long story short...Any tips on encouraging fluid intake? Thanks in advance

MrsJayy Mon 05-Sep-16 18:41:17

If he isn't mobile then he might not want to pee as often so not drinking late mil did this does he have anybody else popping to make him cups of Tea or small drinks during the day ?

Melfish Mon 05-Sep-16 18:52:22

DF enjoyed drinks with straws and ribena, sounds a bit childish but he quite liked it. I think he also found it easier to hold the drink level and not have to raise the cup to his lips. He was still drinking to almost camel like levels, however.

MrsJayy Mon 05-Sep-16 19:05:23

We used to get Mil cartons of apple juice with straws she could take 1 when she wanted but stil didnt drink an awful lot sadly she had to be hospitilised twice to go on fluids

CMOTDibbler Tue 06-Sep-16 15:43:03

Lots of different drinks - hot or cold, in easy to use cups/glasses, with a straw (easier for my mum as less co-ordination than getting a cup to your lips), a non alcoholic beer or a shandy in the evening, horlick/ovaltine later. The main thing is someone around to nag him about it.

LetitiaCropleysCookbook Tue 06-Sep-16 15:56:17

I always get my Mum to drink a cupful of water every time she takes a tablet. I tell her that the instructions say 'plenty of water' or 'a glassful of water' (they do!), and she seems willing to comply with this. Left to her own devices, and without prompting, she would drink no more than a sip at a time.

I noticed while visiting her in a home where she had gone for respite, that when they happened to be giving her a tablet while I was there, they just let her drink enough to swallow it, and didn't seem too pleased when I pointed out what the instructions said. She got a urine infection while she was in there, too.

shortscotty Tue 06-Sep-16 17:52:40

Thanks for responses, I usually check on the morning he has had a drink, as he is mostly independent he tends to sort himself through the day. I can tell what he has had to drink as he leaves all the cups for me to wash up, even though he makes himself maybe four cups of tea a day he only drinks a quarter. Perhaps I will just have to indulge his taste for Tizer though we are trying to keep some of the weight down. The non alcoholic beer is a good one, he used to like a pint.
I may try to get there for his tablets too, making sure drinking water with them will help. Thanks for responses smile

MrsJayy Tue 06-Sep-16 23:53:37

Get him his tizer least he is drinking something maybe cans not a 2l bottle so he isnt drinking too much if he is watching his weight.

FetchezLaVache Wed 07-Sep-16 09:25:22

A lot of older people struggle with delirium when they have an infection - my dad is v. prone to this. My DNephew came in once to find him in a panic about his sheep getting out and trying to struggle out of his chair to go and round them up, only there haven't been sheep on the farm for about 35 years! Has he had ABs to clear it up? You'll get to the point where you can spot the signs and get straight on to the GP.

Agree with CMOT entirely - especially about the person to nag him!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now