Affected by Dementia? We have a new Talk topic specifically for Dementia, please do pop over and take a look

Visit the Dementia Talk topic

Cheap portable/folding wheelchair..

(5 Posts)
evrybuddy Thu 28-Jul-16 10:37:47

Anyone able to recommend one for once a week use pushing mum around the supermarket, sometimes M&S and a bit of up and down the street. She can walk a bit but it's getting harder - there'll be a fight about this but it's either wheelchair or no going out.

Needmoresleep Thu 28-Jul-16 19:43:34

Hopefully CMOT will come along and remind me what she recommended before. It was from Lloyds Pharmacy and not very expensive. My mum loves it. Or rather each time she goes out she claims it is not needed, but is packed "just in case", then when faced with a bit of a walk, she happily sits in it.

The carer is about to buy her a walker as well. Unfortunately the wheelchair is a symptom of a bit of a vicious cycle where the less exercise she does the less she is able to do.

thesandwich Thu 28-Jul-16 22:08:14

Charity shops often have them in their bigger stores for occasional use. We got one for £20

Jacobbay Fri 29-Jul-16 14:43:17

I bought a barely used one on eBay for £30

evrybuddy Fri 29-Jul-16 15:10:26

Thanks all - had to get one at short notice to take her out today- sudden realisiation that legs wouldn't work well enough for what she wanted

got one of these which has done the job with no tears or tantrums - so far!

www.1stchoicemobility.co.uk/special-offers/gift-ideas/escape-lite-transit-wheelchair/prod_442.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now