Affected by Dementia? We have a new Talk topic specifically for Dementia, please do pop over and take a look

Visit the Dementia Talk topic

DF being taken advantage of - has "lent" money to young guy he met on doorstep. What can I do?

(2 Posts)
Snowbell Tue 26-Jul-16 22:35:21

I am currently staying with my elderly parents, dad aged 87 and mum aged 89. They live 300 miles away so can't see them often. I have two sisters who also live a distance away but we are making sure one of us visits every couple of months. Tonight the doorbell rang, DF answered and had a conversation with a man. Unfortunately I didn't get a look at him. When DF came back he said it was a young man he had been helping. He had first come to the door selling Kleeneze stuff or similar. DF chatted to him and bought products. He is lonely as looks after DM who has dementia. DF said that he has lent him money before but wouldn't tell me how much. Tonight he gave him more money and wouldn't tell me how much. I said "do you realise he is taking advantage of you?" DF said yes, but he didn't care and didn't want to talk about it. What can I do to stop this? Can the police do anything? DF is depressed with his situation and can be difficult to talk to. I'm really worried about this guy.

notapizzaeater Tue 26-Jul-16 22:37:29

Can you get advice from age concern ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now