Affected by Dementia? We have a new Talk topic specifically for Dementia, please do pop over and take a look

Visit the Dementia Talk topic

Changing Any Furniture!

(5 Posts)
MarianneSolong Sun 17-Jul-16 18:09:22

As my mother is getting older - she'll be 90 soon - it would be useful to make one or two changes to the furniture.

She could do with a couple of chairs specifically for the elderly and less mobile. However, she insists 'there is no room.' The huge chest of drawers in the living room in which she keeps towels blouses and stationery absolutely has to live there. She needs all three of the smaller chests of drawers in her bedroom - even though one of them is partly empty. She can't get rid of one of the two twin beds - the one my father used to have - because that would expose marks of wear on the carpet.

This is driving me bonkers. Does anyone else have similar problems?

whataboutbob Sun 17-Jul-16 21:59:25

Yes yes and yes. I had it with first my grandparents who were most reluctant to get rid of stuff which to me was redundant/ difficult to use/ superseded by a far superior model anyway. Then my Dad was a hoarder and trying to chuck anything out was tantamount to a personal insult.
As you age I think it just gets harder and harder to get used to new stuff, be it new people, new ideas or new furniture. It sounds like your mum has a big investment in her furniture, her ways of doing things and stuff that belonged to your Dad. That isn't so surprising, but i can see that it poses a challenge in terms of practicality. I don't know what to suggest, but I can just say you are not alone!

thesandwich Tue 19-Jul-16 22:08:20

Hello. My DM responds to the people in uniform- especially male on this one. Ot's, her lovely carer etc can persuade her to do far more than I ever could. And as for the firemen who visited....... Suddenly she had to have a pendant alarm........

SheSparkles Tue 19-Jul-16 22:16:41

Depending on what her current furniture is like, you can get little
"Stilts" to raise the height of her current chair-they're about 3" high and the foot of the furniture is slotted into them, so if they were suitable her actual furniture wouldn't need to change at all

SheSparkles Tue 19-Jul-16 22:19:26

A quick google found these
www.amazon.co.uk/Raise-Its-Furniture-Dresser-Elderly/dp/B002FJ5PW2

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now