Affected by Dementia? We have a new Talk topic specifically for Dementia, please do pop over and take a look

Visit the Dementia Talk topic

Relentless monologuing, anyone?

(10 Posts)
LanaorAna1 Tue 28-Jun-16 20:39:22

Dad, who used to be somewhat of a raconteur, is on his daily round: he started on Brexit at 4pm this afternoon, and he's still going. We are all being driven mad. He doesn't stop even when asked to and screams if anyone in the room leaves to use the loo. Any thoughts, anyone?

cheeseandmarmite15 Wed 29-Jun-16 11:41:28

How old is he?

CreepingDogFart Wed 29-Jun-16 21:48:03

I really don't know what to say but I hop you are all ok flowers

CreepingDogFart Wed 29-Jun-16 21:48:12

Also hope!

PortiaCastis Wed 29-Jun-16 21:49:19

There is a topic for EU

NewspaperTaxis Thu 30-Jun-16 12:59:43

Could be a urinary tract infection. Can send old people bonkers.

Cranberry juice and plenty of it if so.

Or hypomania, so some kind of prescribed mild anti-depressant to even things up maybe.

Imnotaslimjim Thu 30-Jun-16 13:19:43

If you think its a UTI please have him checked over. The older generation can go downhill very quickly with a UTI but usually a short course of antibiotics sees it off. Please don't just give cranberry juice, if the infection is already into the kidneys, coloured fluids give them more to do. It works well as a preventative once you have it cleared though.

LanaorAna1 Fri 01-Jul-16 22:02:29

He's 79. He's been a talker for years, but for the past 10 or 15 years it's been earplugs at dawn for most of the family. Six hours is a record, tho'.

He drinks a lot as well.

NewspaperTaxis Sat 02-Jul-16 15:15:42

True about getting on a course of antibiotics if it really is a UTI, fair play.

As for talking, this is generally regarded as eccentricity esp when the one who does it is the paymaster in days of yore.

But really, I do think a mid med, some kind of antidepressant would work because the hypomania is really what it is imo. We're talking crack of dawn talk like he's been told he gets a fiver for every word spoken but the offer doesn't last indefinitely, it might get withdrawn at any time around noon, right? Don't call it antidepressant to him though, call it a pick me up or something, mood enhancer. It isn't really of course, but no one of that generation or any generation to be fair likes being told they are on anti depressants

nothingtoadd Sat 02-Jul-16 15:44:52

I'm an hcp on an elderly care ward and I often have patients like this. Assuming their hearing and vision is ok I don't know when they lose the social cues about conversation.

I will have done my assessment, checked they've understood, wrapped up the conversation,left the room then they'll just start talking again confused

Don't get me wrong I don't mind, and I'm never rude but I do find it baffling. When does this begin to happen?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now