Affected by Dementia? We have a new Talk topic specifically for Dementia, please do pop over and take a look

Visit the Dementia Talk topic

My mother

(7 Posts)
grannyinwaiting Fri 17-Jun-16 07:00:08

I have posted before under a different name about my mother's memory loss and other problems, but I am really at a loss now. She was told to take thyroid medication (argh, begins with ly...?), folic acid and has also got naproxen as she has a small.fracture In her back. She basically refuses to take themasshe is convinced that every pill she takes makes her feel sick and she would rather be ill..
She is getting worse and worse and her memory is dreadful. It's terribly worrying but I just don't know what to do . I am on my own with this as my sister has nc and am just so scared to be honest. She has an appt at a memory clinic in July but what can I do.until.then? Her doctor seems hopeless..Ido have permission to speak to him but I really don't think he is very good. It's just so frustrating

ZaZathecat Fri 17-Jun-16 14:56:46

I hope someone else can be more helpful than me, but in my experience the appointment at the memory clinic is, although necessary, not going to solve your problem. They are likely to either assess her as have mild cognitive impairment (i.e. her memory's going) or dementia if there are other symptoms. If it's the former you carry on as before but go back for a check up now and then. If it's the latter she'll probably be prescribed drugs to try for the dementia, which from what you've said she probably won't want to take either, and no one can really force her to take anything.

As I said, I'm only going by my own experience so I hope someone else can give you some better advice.

grannyinwaiting Fri 17-Jun-16 18:49:58

Thank you. I posted earlier but it didn't show! Spent some time with her today and told her she must take her tablet so she took one in front of me. Of course half an hou later she was 'dizzy' which was obviously the pill.... she was also very muddled and repeating herself - but this has been going on for awhile. It's just so difficult

Helenluvsrob Sat 18-Jun-16 17:40:26

That's a bit of a b***ger isn't it OP!

The levothyroxine for her thyroid is vital. The others are take it ir leave it drugs. Her memory will be worse ( and frankly she could get significantly unwell) without her thyroid tablets. Can she be persuad just to take that ?

grannyinwaiting Sat 18-Jun-16 20:22:53

Have tried very hard to impress upon her how important it is. She's coming round tomorrow and we are going to try to have a serious talk with her. Thank you 😊

catsofa Sat 18-Jun-16 20:29:13

Would the doc prescribe an anti emetic to stop her feeling sick from the other pills? If she believed the sickness was being prevented she might not feel sick any more even if the anti emetic was later replaced with a placebo. Or do you think she could be convinced that ginger biscuits stop sickness? Or some type of herbal tea? Or homeopathy?

grannyinwaiting Sat 18-Jun-16 20:38:14

She's always been like this. The other day we gave her a naproxen and told her it was a paracetamol and she was fine! It is all in her head. Very difficult to deal with. I expect an anti emetic would somehow make her feel sick too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now