Affected by Dementia? We have a new Talk topic specifically for Dementia, please do pop over and take a look

Visit the Dementia Talk topic

Advice needed. Grandmother with dementia needs to move to care home.

(19 Posts)
shiteforbrains Sun 28-Feb-16 12:52:24

My GM needs to move to a care home.

She is currently in warden monitored accomodation with carers 3x daily but following a week in hospital is now totally incapable of re-adjusting.

She has dementia and seems to think she is still in hospital. She is very very confused (more so than normal) and we feel she needs to be moved to a nursing home pretty quickly.

She is in Warwickshire if that makes a difference, I don't know if the process varies in different parts of the UK.

She owns part of her own property, I am not sure of the value. Does anyone know what the cut off is before she is eligible for a free place?

My DF has POA so I assume he can make this decision for her?

Where do I start? Who do I need to speak to?

I was thinking the GP, would that be the case?

Any help gratefully received!

PacificDogwod Sun 28-Feb-16 12:55:05

You need to speak to social services, here they are called the 'Older Person's Team'. GPs have no influence on care home places.
Funding will be worked out by her SW.

It can take weeks for a care assessment to come through - you may ask to speak to the duty worker and ask for an urgent RV.

shiteforbrains Sun 28-Feb-16 13:11:43

Thanks Pacific I will call them on Monday morning.

PacificDogwod Sun 28-Feb-16 13:23:59

Good luck thanks

If she was just recently discharged from hospital, hopefully SS will react quickly to her needs as any re-admission would make her previous discharge a 'failed discharge' and that Does Not Look Good - politicians are all over this issue hmm

There's no doubt that the whole country is struggling how to look after our increasing number of increasingly old and frail people at home sad

Wolpertinger Sun 28-Feb-16 13:33:09

If she owns part of a property she will almost certainly be self funding until the value of that property has been spent however it is complicated if she only owns part - who owns the other parts? There is a helpful flowchart for finances here:

www.carehome.co.uk/fees/feeschart.cfm

Your first port of call will be social services. If she is self funding they will pretty much just give you a list and expect you to get on with it though.

The only way you would get funding if she has savings/property in excess of £23K is if she was eligible for NHS Continuing Care. It's unlikely she would be on confusion alone as to get it you would need to have significant physical nursing needs as well - it's usually only awarded in the end stages of dementia when needs have become very complex.

bigTillyMint Sun 28-Feb-16 13:33:11

My DM was recently fast - tracked into a care home by her GP who rang SS to sort an alternative to hospital admission. I think that it was because the GP deemed (rightly) that she was no longer able to be safe in her own home and it was an emergency. Could you try the GP?

I also got the impression from many people, that if SS think there is a family member who is around and able to sort out the move (if self-funding) then they will leave it to them. I am 200 miles away, so they had to step in.

Good luckflowers

PacificDogwod Sun 28-Feb-16 13:39:50

Tilly, was your DM given a permanent place or sent of 'respite' until something permanent could be sorted out?

GPs phone the same social worker and voice the same concerns; they do not have access to 'extra' beds. By all means get the GP involved if you are not getting anywhere or if you have ongoing medical concerns for your DGM, but GPs do not have the magic solution. I wish. sad

Lolimax Sun 28-Feb-16 13:46:41

Hi Shite(!) will she need EMI? I'm in Wales but my understanding is that if her needs are that high you may not need to fund it but it's been several years since DD was in this position so I could be wrong. Don't let SS push you, take advice from Age Concern (I think it's changed name now) and good luck.

Lolimax Sun 28-Feb-16 13:47:06

I meant my dad not my daughter!

shiteforbrains Sun 28-Feb-16 13:55:24

Thanks Wolp that link is very useful.

My DF owns part of her flat. She moved from a house in a cheaper area so he paid the difference when she bought her current sheltered flat.

Who does the assessments for her care? Would SS do that or individual Nursing Homes?

She is currently having carers 3x daily which I believe is council funded because of her dementia and limited mobility but I assume that would not have been means tested in the same way.

If you are self-funding do SS not have any input at all?

shiteforbrains Sun 28-Feb-16 13:59:04

Thanks Tilly. I am a fair distance away and DF works away through the week and is back at weekends. He will obviously take time off where possible but it would help if we could get some SS help and advice. Fingers crossed!

shiteforbrains Sun 28-Feb-16 14:00:30

Thanks Loli I will give them a call too. Sorry for being dim but what is EMI? blush

shiteforbrains Sun 28-Feb-16 14:01:30

I really appreciate all of these responses by the way thank you. wine

Lolimax Sun 28-Feb-16 14:10:22

dementiacaredevon.co.uk/devon-support/dementia-care-homes-in-devon/considering-a-move-to-a-care-home/

Lolimax Sun 28-Feb-16 14:11:00

I found that it's a really nice guide that's quite general.

Wolpertinger Sun 28-Feb-16 14:32:03

EMI is Elderly Mentally Infirm - nowadays you would tend to hear that the home is registered for dementia rather than EMI. The key questions are if she is nursing or residential and whether she needs dementia care.

If you are fully self funding, TBH you may be better without SS input as it is quicker to go it alone and find your own care home - the home will quickly tell you what GM's needs are as all you will be doing is waiting for SS's assessment. SS may have a scheme however for administering the funds until they run out and they take over funding.

Lolimax's guide is excellent - I would always think about is this a home she can stay in forever? If she doesn't need nursing now, do they have a nursing unit on site or do they pride themselves on being able to nurse people in their residential unit to the very end (some do). Or will they be looking to kick her out as soon as her needs are too much sad very common

shiteforbrains Sun 28-Feb-16 15:01:58

Thanks Loli I have read through the guide it was very helpful. I am forwarding these links to DF too.

At the moment she has no other medical conditions apart from the dementia, which is getting steadily worse. She didn't know who my sister was and doesn't understand that she is in her own home, she thinks she is in a different hospital room. She is very isolated and has no interest in speaking to other residents etc. It is around 5-6 years since she began refusing to see other people in the communal parts of her current building. I suppose these things will need to be taken in to account when selecting a place for her.

bigTillyMint Sun 28-Feb-16 15:23:12

Pacific, I think DMs place is permanent - I think they put her into a dementia home with nursing so that she wouldn't have to move (and knowing she is self-funding) She was put in an assessment room first but is now in an ensuite AFAIK. I am going up this week to check on her, so I will see.

For DM, the GP was crucial as I couldn't go up to get her into a home as an emergency - I had started to find out about homes but she hadn't had a recent SS assessment so I wasn't sure what I was looking for IYSWIM.

My DM is on meds for Atrial fibrillation and galantamine for the Dementia and she wasn't remembering to take the tablets - sudden major decline.

shiteforbrains Mon 29-Feb-16 22:44:59

My DF has been dealing with things today and has found all of your help and links really useful. Thanks ever so much. winecakeflowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now