Affected by Dementia? We have a new Talk topic specifically for Dementia, please do pop over and take a look

Visit the Dementia Talk topic

Sort of off topic but I can't tell Mum or Dad and you lovely lot have been so supportive

(12 Posts)
Helenluvsrob Mon 30-Nov-15 10:56:59

Heartbreaking that I can't share it with Mum, who would be so proud , or dad ( he'd be proud too but has no understanding any more).

Eldest has just been announced as the winner of this academic prize which looks like quite a significant achievement! Dunno why her uni don't have a decent link to what the prize means though but this website tells you. It's the Robert Markus prize for humanities

patristics.org/news/member-updates/robert-markus-prize/

If I shouldn't be posting this Let me know and I'll get MN to delete it.

Silverscateboardkid Mon 30-Nov-15 11:11:54

Wow, congratulations to your eldest, what an achievement. You are right to be proudstar

CMOTDibbler Mon 30-Nov-15 11:15:57

What a fabulous achievement! Many congratulations to your eldest!

roundandroundthehouses Mon 30-Nov-15 11:27:29

That looks brilliant! Congratulations to her smile

RhodaBull Mon 30-Nov-15 11:41:46

Well done miniHelenluvsrob.

I sooooo know what you mean. My parents are both dead and sometimes I feel like having a seance to tell them about the dcs. The thing is that no one is proud of your dcs except parents and (most) grandparents. Everyone else has their nose put a tiny bit out of joint, especially if they have dcs around the same age/stage.

The pil are both in a home with dementia now, but were never terribly interested in the dcs and if I said, for example, "Ds won a chess competition," mil would cast around for a Top Trump and come up with a friend's neighbour's nephew who played chess too.

Helenluvsrob Mon 30-Nov-15 16:17:22

rhoda you have absolutely hit the nail on the head!

thanks all for not chucking me off the forum and your kind words of congratulations smile

CMOTDibbler Mon 30-Nov-15 16:31:25

You're right Rhonda. DS has 4 grandparents living, but my mum doesn't even know she has a grandson, dad really has all his mind occupied with mum and coping, and alas the PIL used up all their 'being interested in grandchildren' with the first 5 who are all over 18 now.
It would be nice for there to be someone who coos over him getting a big reading at the christmas service, or his highly commended cake at the school competition and so on. Well, there is, but its our cleaner who is more of an interested family member to him than any of our family sad

Helenluvsrob Mon 30-Nov-15 22:40:06

Aww CMOT your cleaner sounds lovely.

whataboutbob Tue 01-Dec-15 15:21:26

Hahaha Rhoda some very true words there. But i'm going to say..............
bloody well done Helen and you deserve some good family news.

thesandwich Tue 01-Dec-15 21:59:26

Well done mini Helenluvsrob!! What a brilliant achievement! I remember your story earlier this year( am I right thea? Was twentyten)
Your dm would have been so proud!

Footle Tue 01-Dec-15 22:38:49

Congratulations to you and your talented daughter.

Helenluvsrob Thu 03-Dec-15 23:04:23

Thesandwich you have remembered correctly smile thank you all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now