Affected by Dementia? We have a new Talk topic specifically for Dementia, please do pop over and take a look

Visit the Dementia Talk topic

Can anyone recommend a personal alarm?

(6 Posts)
getinthesea Tue 27-Oct-15 15:59:12

FIL has mobility issues which are gradually getting worse and lives alone. After a bout of d&v which caused panic as no one could get hold of him, he's agreed that he could probably do with one of those alarms which you wear round your neck. Does anyone have experience of a particular brand/type or whatever?

It's probably relevant that both DH and SIL live quite a way from where he is, so I don't know whether it should call us, or a more nearby service.

Thanks in advance.

thesandwich Tue 27-Oct-15 22:26:59

Age uk offer a pendant alarm or contact your local council helpline. Many have an operator system who can alert whoever is needed. Does he have a key safe?

getinthesea Wed 28-Oct-15 09:26:32

He doesn't, and that's something we probably do need to look into as well, thank you.

thesandwich Wed 28-Oct-15 16:45:01

Our local council came and fitted one for free for dm and she is not on benefits/ in her own home.we got the doc to refer to Occ health who have supplied and fitted a wealth of gadgets including rails,loo seat,walking frame and key safe.
The alarm was via a local housing association who offer the service in our area. Age uk may offer advice too.

CMOTDibbler Wed 28-Oct-15 20:20:13

My parents have the AgeUK system, and the service is really excellent. Heaven only knows they've used it enough to know.

Their key safe was fitted by the local council as well as part of their handyman scheme, so the alarm people just call the GP/ ambulance and they go in with the key as I live too far to pop in and there was no one local willing to be their contact.

getinthesea Thu 29-Oct-15 13:52:50

Thank you. He is seeing the doctor regularly at the moment, so we'll see if he wants to ask for an Occupational Health assessment, that's a good idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now