Affected by Dementia? We have a new Talk topic specifically for Dementia, please do pop over and take a look

Visit the Dementia Talk topic

any advice re pants

(8 Posts)
whatnameshallibetoday Sun 13-Oct-13 18:43:50

MIL likes Tena pants, which is fine, but she is currently spending around £200 a month on them, I am wondering if there is a cheaper alternative at 50-55p a pair this is expensive.

She will not use the ones supplied by the OT, she wants pulls ups.

thewookieswife Mon 14-Oct-13 08:53:43

bless her ! that's such a shame ! maybe she has tried the others and these are the ones she feels most confident in ?! it must be hard to accept this part of getting older . unless this is money that she can't afford - I would urge you to resist pointing out there are cheaper alternatives - it is one subject I wouldn't want to discuss if I were her I think !

whatnameshallibetoday Mon 14-Oct-13 12:03:20

Believe me she is quite happy to discuss her problems - not the solution. Her favourite sentence is "don't get old and incontinent", she hasn't/wont try anything else at the moment, she doesn't like the ones the OT suggested because you need pants "over them".

She is using these because this is what she was able to get in Morrisons, she would be happy with any "pull up" solution, and I was wondering if there is a non branded solution that is effectively the same, but just not Tena or even if I could buy them in wholesale, we have the money and space to buy a years worth if it would help.

Norudeshitrequired Mon 14-Oct-13 12:05:19

Can the OT not provide molicare mobile - they are like tena pants (a pull up) but available through the NHS

whatnameshallibetoday Mon 14-Oct-13 12:26:11

We didnt know what to ask for thank you I will speak to the home and ask them to speak to the incontinence nurse.

Madratlady Mon 14-Oct-13 13:33:07

Has she had a continence assessment and referral to the continence team to see if they will supply pads? The criteria are quite strict for pull ups due to the cost though and in my area they will only supply 2 a day.

Would she compromise and wear a different pad at night to use less pull ups if they're costing her lots?

whatnameshallibetoday Tue 15-Oct-13 21:58:27

Thank you - I have asked the home to speak to the continence nurse.

MIL has been assessed as needing pads, they are the people who supplied the ones she hated, she was FURIOUS until I explained that I had asked for their advice as I was totally bewildered by the choices online (I didn't realise there were so many types and absorbencies etc) and just wanted to know if there was something better than the ones we had simply stumbled upon in Morrisions - that these weren't better they were worse and just because they were there she didn't have to use them.

We sent them back and she is happy (DH checked) if they can provide a pull up solution, even 2 a day is £30/£40 a month.

MIL does not do compromise, if I send too many by delivery she complains, if I send too few by delivery she panics.

I'll get it right soon enough - DH does most of the liasing with her etc, I just do the buying.

pudcat Wed 16-Oct-13 20:40:33

Have you had a look on Boots web site. They have an offer on at the moment (works out at 60 pants for price of 50). If you got MIL an advantage card you get another discount for over 60's.
www.boots.com/en/Pharmacy-Health/Health-shop/Incontinence/Female-incontinence/Moderate-to-heavy-incontinence-products/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now