Affected by Dementia? We have a new Talk topic specifically for Dementia, please do pop over and take a look

Visit the Dementia Talk topic

Anyone used indoor light motion sensor to help prevent falls?

(4 Posts)
heavenlybrownies Tue 27-Aug-13 01:14:25

My 84 year old mother woke up during the night a couple of nights ago, didn't put the light on and got confused and went to the loo in the next door room. She isn't confused during the day but after a fall a few months ago has been sleeping downstairs in her dining room with a commode in her room. I think if she had a light sensor which came on when she got out of bed she would have seen the commode and remembered to use it. I just wondered if anyone had successfully used an indoor light motion sensor? Thanks.

Weegiemum Argentina Tue 27-Aug-13 01:22:18

We have them upstairs in our bedroom for me!

I've got a neurological condition that means I'm "body blind" - if I can't see my feet I fall over! Ours are set at a high tolerance - I need to sit up before the one beside my bed comes on. Then I can get to the loo fine!

It cost us about £300 to get them installed but I've not fallen once in the night since (system extends to landing, stairs and hallway).

CMOTDibbler Tue 27-Aug-13 20:01:59

You could try a plug in motion sensor nightlight to see if it helped - we have them on the landing, and they are cheap and fairly bright

heavenlybrownies Wed 28-Aug-13 00:45:39

Thanks very much Weegie and CMOT. Weegie - can I ask where you got yours from? CMOT - do you know of any plug in motion sensor nightlights you could recommend?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now