Affected by Dementia? We have a new Talk topic specifically for Dementia, please do pop over and take a look

Visit the Dementia Talk topic

Elderly/disabled granny - struggling with bathing!

(9 Posts)
Olinguita Fri 16-Aug-13 18:28:34

Hello everyone, first post on here... I'm helping to care for my grandmother who recently had a stroke. She's back from hospital now and in her own home but needs a lot of help. We're getting our heads around daily life with her limited mobility, but one thing that is a struggle is bathing. She's on a waiting list for someone from the council to come round to help her to bath, but it's looooong (as in, several weeks). Does anyone have any suggestions about private agencies or other solutions? We literally just need someone to pop in and help lift and bathe. I don't think I can get her in and out of the bath to do it myself and she doesn't want any of the family to bathe her....
Has anyone else had this problem, and how have you got around it? I just hate the thought of her being uncomfortable sad

I'm not actually a mum myself so I hope you don't mind me posting here! Mumsnet seems like a good place to discuss anything family-related


MissAntithetic Fri 16-Aug-13 18:38:50


You can buy bath seats that electronically go over the bath and into it. Some firms even hire them out.

You could get a private carer in but a lot of them have a minimum time of one hour and they can only assist. Nobody in the health or social care field is allowed to manually lift someone into a bath any more. They must use a hoist or other aid. They can help her but if she can't weight bear then I'm afraid they won't/shouldn't do it.

ParsingFancy Fri 16-Aug-13 18:45:29

Inflatable bath lift, or the solid kind.

I haven't used any of these products, but they seem a fairly standard solution.

CMOTDibbler Fri 16-Aug-13 18:49:36

If you phone round some agencies, you can find a private carer to help out. My parents have recently used one and really liked the carer and she helped out loads

CoTananat Fri 16-Aug-13 18:50:49

Yeah, unlikely you'd get an agency to lift into a bath without aids.

You can buy a Bath Buddy, which my mother had and worked well. I think we paid less than that, though. Shop around.

For a cheaper, temporary solution, I can recommend Clinisan range. These are products that clean without water so she can stay properly clean while the council sort out what she needs. IME Clinisan much better than the other ones on the market (Senset in particular). We use the spray foams and the bodywashes.

The council should provide bathing hoists FOC. Hopefully you are already waitingfor them to send an OT round? You need to request, forcefully, "reablement" intervention.

dingledongle Fri 16-Aug-13 19:05:43


Get a referral to local Social Services they can help suggest agencies if you want to go done the private route.

She should have been assessed by physiotherapist or occupational therapist prior to discharge from hospital.

Some day centres offer help with bathing if she would like to go (local age concern for example) but social services should be able to offer some advice.

Alternatively does she have any input from local GP surgery? If so District Nurse team. May be able to access some bits of equipment to help?

This may sound like a silly question but does she want a bath? My generation may bathe a couple of times a day or shower but
I know my gran never had a bath for years but was happy with a thorough wash with a flannel.

daftdame Fri 16-Aug-13 19:16:57

May be in the meantime you might be able to sit her in a nice thick towelling robe on a nice solid chair in the bath room. A shower might be good enough with her hair if you can get her near the sink and a bowl and a flannel to uncover and wash other bits as you go. The robe might help preserve her modesty enough for it not to be too embarrassing for her.

Hope all goes well for applying for a more permanent solution.

Fionar71 Thu 22-Aug-13 11:30:20

I work for a care agency and no careers would be allowed to physically lift a client in and/or out of a bath. It's against good moving and handling guidance and employers liability insurance would be invalidated.

As has been said above, you need to get a referral to social services in - you can do this yourselves - they will arrange for assessment not only of her physical needs but also her ability to pay for her own care. In a lot of cases they will fund for personal care where it is shown there is a need for it; they will arrange the agency from a list they work with and who can take on the workload.

The assessment will involve an OT who will decide what equipment as well as what level of care and how much time will be needed to provide the care. Once the assessment is done and care level and need is agreed and once funding is in place then equipment will be in place for care to take place.


LadyLapsang Sun 25-Aug-13 15:41:52

Have you thought about removing the bath and getting a walk in shower with a seat and grab rail fitted? DM can't bath any more but can now shower, at first had carers come to help her and I think SS took things more seriously because they could see the family were helping too by trying to get house sorted. If she has been discharged from hospital and still needs care she should have a care plan. What care and support does she receive at the moment?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now