Affected by Dementia? We have a new Talk topic specifically for Dementia, please do pop over and take a look

Visit the Dementia Talk topic

Less Contact with Ageing Parent?

(2 Posts)
cathan Wed 01-May-13 12:01:25

It's not the kind of thing you can discuss either, is it? My surviving parent and I have had a difficult relationship and aging hasn't improved things. On the contrary. Like you, I'm trying to keep a safe distance between us rather than openly fall out, but it is tricky. If it weren't for my children, I think I would cut the contact completely. I suppose, if you have never gotten on with a parent and they have done hurtful things, time doesn't really help - unless there is willingness to change/apologise on their part which I can't see ever happening. The only plus in all this is that I'm determined to be a better parent to my children!

FrauMoose Wed 01-May-13 10:15:09

Has anyone had the experience of choosing to see less - rather than more - of a parent as they get older?

I have one surviving parent who is in the latter part of their 80s. It was after the death of my other parent that I started realising the two of them had been a damaging couple. Athough the surviving one is, on the surface quite 'nice', there is a very great deal that I cannot forgive.

However my parent would certainly not welcome any conversation that would involve discussion of the past. So at present I am keeping them rather at arm's length....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now