Affected by Dementia? We have a new Talk topic specifically for Dementia, please do pop over and take a look

Visit the Dementia Talk topic

Calendar clocks for people with dementia - any recommendations please?

(17 Posts)

I've been looking at this one, but it seems a bit dear for the niggles described in some of the reviews. In particular, the fact that it cannot differenctiate between months with 30 and 31 days makes me go a bit hmm. For the price I'd expect better.

I'd like to get something like this for my DMiL whose vascular dementia has got much worse rather quickly in the last 3 months and who is getting very muddles with the days of the week and sometimes time of day.

Or this one?
Mainpowered could be good.
LED screen sounds good.

Hm, this might be a contender.

Glad I brought it up here grin

Mains powered. Gah!

The second. The first is too confusing for a person with a dementia.

CMOTDibbler Sun 13-Jan-13 20:57:13

Second looks good

Theas18 Sun 13-Jan-13 21:05:55

This maybe completely not what you want, but I got my dear demented half blind father an RNIB recommended talking watch for Xmas the top button tells you the time ( though the large clear analogue display is ok for him the read in good light - doesn't seem to be a skill that you loose easily ) and the bottom button tells you day/date and year.

It was 20 odd quid from amazon.

( caveat read my thread about the " long night of the talking watch " where he pressed it approximately every 20mins all night so um got no sleep......it lives on the dressing table now at night!).

Oh, thank you, quick replies smile!

Yes, once I found the second one, the first one looked distinctly less good... Should have looked more first, posted second blush.

I'll have a look at the talking clock thingmy - she may or may not take to that: on her more paranoid days she might accuse me of trying to drive her nuts grin.

We had a rather depressing visit at hers today, it is really rather soul-destroying to see her deteriorate.

Is it this one Theas?
Does it tell the day of the week?

gingeroots Sun 13-Jan-13 22:01:41

Pacific my mum has the RNIB talking clock in your link .

It's good for telling time but IMO a bit confusing regarding the date .
You keep the button pressed down and it gives date but in a not terribly easily understood format ,and rather off putting robotic voice .

ratherbeinnorfolk Tue 15-Jan-13 13:11:29

After buying a useless one from Amazon (German - connected to radio signals in Germany) found this one at John Lewis:

www.johnlewis.com/154686/Product.aspx?SearchTerm=RecentlyViewedList

Battery powered, but radio controlled so understands when there are 30 or 31 days in a month, reasonably priced and large enough display, seems to do the job.

sydlexic Tue 19-Feb-13 22:37:46

I purchaserd a karlsson clock like the first picture for MIL. I would choose that one. It has the year which helps with cheques and bills. It has an analogue clock, many forget how to read a digital clock as they did not have them when they were young. Also it is very large, I found with smaller clocks she forgot where it was.

sydlexic Tue 19-Feb-13 22:39:59

I would not recommend mains power as people with dementia usually turn all switches off before going to bed, as people used to.

SussexRokx Sat 20-Apr-13 09:53:54

A day clock such as the one in the link below, can be created using a Digital Photo Frame.

forum.carersuk.org/download/file.php?id=4394&mode=view

As long as the Photo Frame can change the image every hour on the hour, then a series of images for Morning, Aftenoon, Evening and Night, along with the day, can be displayed at the appropriate time.

The Photo Frame used in the link is a Motorola MLC800, and also has its own built in clock and calendar.

If anyone wants to know how to set one up, let me know, as I can provide the full set of images needed.

glaurung Mon 22-Apr-13 11:12:36

Oh Sussex, I will pm you. It may be just what MiL needs to stop her getting up every hour at night.

glaurung Tue 23-Apr-13 11:59:32

I've been having fun with this Sussex, I've got a new night-time picture showing a bed wth someone sleeping and a new Thursday night picture with a dustbin and the message 'put the bins out'. Lovely as your pictures are I will probably swap them all out for more personal ones. It's a brilliant idea which would also work well for a child. Sadly their existing photo frame does a max of 2mins picture update which would need too many photos and would probably get out of sync too quickly, so I've ordered a new one. I somehow doubt it will actually stop MiLs nighttime wandering (though anything's worth a try), but I hope it will help them both keep track of time better.

gnushoes Tue 23-Apr-13 12:04:48

We got one of these for my MIL but she couldn't really connect the clock time with anything else and still rang up at stupid o clock, or didn't get the difference between 3am and 3pm even though one was dark and the other not. Good luck...

SussexRokx Mon 06-May-13 05:40:50

Files and instructions to create Dementia Day Clock available here
http://sussexrokx.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/day-clock-for-people-with-dementia.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now