Affected by Dementia? We have a new Talk topic specifically for Dementia, please do pop over and take a look

Visit the Dementia Talk topic

WWYD - elderly grandfather in hospital

(4 Posts)
worriedsicknow Wed 26-Dec-12 20:32:20

My grandfather fell twice yesterday but was conscious and not bruised or cut. He is 88 and has recently developed dementia.

He ate 4 courses yesterday so we thought he was totally fine. He got into clean pyjamas with a cup of tea last night and was totally fine.

Call from the police at 5.15am today to say he is in an Ambulance.

Due to go on holiday tomorrow for 2 weeks.

He has 4 kids.

He is having brain scan tomorrow.

Am totally in 2 minds. He might live for 2 days. He might live for 2 years.

Wwyd? X

Sam100 Wed 26-Dec-12 20:52:34

I would go on holiday. If I could feasibly do it I would also go to the hospital before I left and give him a big hug before I went, tell him how much he was loved and tell him to get well and see him soon.

chatnickname2013 Wed 26-Dec-12 20:54:57

I would go on holiday, my grandfather went though a "could go any day" phase before he died, it went on for 2 years, DH's nan also was touch and go for about 5 years. but would go to hospital first, call and explain and ask to go in out of visiting hours

Sharpkat Wed 26-Dec-12 23:30:59

Said goodbye to him today and that I would see him when back. He is 250 miles away. Think I will go and see what happens. Thanks for supporting my decision.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now