Does anyone have children at Stormont Prep school ( potters bar) or st albans high school for girls?

(12 Posts)
SchoolFool Thu 15-Nov-12 21:33:39

For what it is worth, I never believe the stats offered on websites listing "offers" etc. One headteacher of a very good prep said they stopped putting those stats on the web and now only put actual destinations because parents tell their kids they got in, whether they did or not, and there's no independent way to validate this.

chocaholic73 Thu 15-Nov-12 15:07:33

One thing to remember is that Stormont is not selective for its Reception intake, whereas places like the High School, Habs etc will do some form of assessment

Hamishbear Wed 14-Nov-12 15:11:16

Yes, good point, not offered a place perhaps rather than 'failed'. All those who sat for Queenswood look to have got in etc. St Albans sounds fiercely competitive.

highschoolmum Wed 14-Nov-12 14:04:37

hamishbear I don't think they will have 'failed' the exam, just not been in the top 30 or so who get places. i think there were at least 6 external candidates for every place last year

There is very few places available, as most, not all come though from the Junior school, a few of those don't always make the grade either and are advised to look elsewhere. The same happens at 16, parents are warned in GCSE years, to stay on for 6th form, they are expected to get at least 5 A's and A* in the subjects they wish to do at A level. There are very very few grades below a B anyway.

Hamishbear Wed 14-Nov-12 09:49:22

5 have failed exam to St Albans in last 2 years - quite a lot considering not many take the exam. Having said that I applaud their transparency, I can't think of another prep school that gives open statistics about how many sat and how many passed on their website. It must be comparatively very difficult to get in at 11 plus?

chocaholic73 Mon 12-Nov-12 21:02:38

DD went to Stormont, then to St Albans High School at 11. I think the destinations will vary very much year to year. When we were there, there were a number who went to St Albans High School and Habs, some with scholarships. The slightly less academic girls tended to go to Queenswood, St Francis College or Haileybury iirc

highschoolmum Mon 12-Nov-12 16:11:04

Sorry, I meant to say I am St Albans High School, it looks as though I was referring to Stormont.

Hamishbear Mon 12-Nov-12 14:36:53

I've heard great things about it but I was surprised by the leavers destinations over the last few years. Not many to the most academic girls' schools: St Albans High, Haberdashers etc (?)

Imagine the competition is fierce for these? More to the generally less academic/slightly more easy to get into schools?

highschoolmum Mon 12-Nov-12 13:58:43

My DD went there and I have had and still do, a long association with the school.

Vonbone Sun 11-Nov-12 22:01:55

My daughter is at stormont and we are extremly pleased with it

CowsGoMoo Tue 20-Apr-10 19:58:51

My cousins children go to Stormont. They live in Brookmans Park. I can ask them to help out with any questions you might have if that will help... she's not a member of mumsnet though

stressed2007 Fri 16-Apr-10 13:51:55

If so can you post - I have got some questions. Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now