Moving to Manchester - can you help me with advice on schools in Trafford?

(88 Posts)
Ohforfoxsake Sat 12-Dec-09 16:20:22

Following on from my original thread on where to live, we are on the market and relocating within the next 6 months. We've seen some great houses in Sale, Altrincham and Hale.

Education is really the key to moving to this area. The children are of Primary age, but we are thinking about secondary too.

There's so many schools, many of which look good on paper and OFSTED, but I'd really appreciate your honest opinions, good and bad.

We're relocating from London so its really hard to get up to do viewings, let alone school visits during the week, so your advice would really count.

Thank you, in advance.

mumsy13 Mon 08-Jul-13 22:15:49

can anyone help? 11 yr old to travel from altrincham to urmston grammar. No school buses that I can see.Please mums, does anybody has any suggestions?

mumsupa Thu 13-Jun-13 10:07:12

to cornsilkcremeeggspotter
My ds has SEN. We are movng to timperley are. Do you suggest any school where we shouldn't go? Any suggestion ?

NappyHappy Sat 18-May-13 12:13:23

I've just noticed it was 3 yes ago you posted blush

NappyHappy Sat 18-May-13 12:12:18

Jeanie, I'm from Urmston and it whiffs more in Davyhulme in the Summer, Flixton/Urmston are lovely and we live a few miles away from there in Partington. Did you move there in the end?

Mumof2G Sat 18-May-13 12:04:02

Hi notangelinajolie,

I am really in need of advise as I am thinking of moving to Altrincham girls catchment. would you be able to advise me or let me know your contact details so that I can reach out to you.

notangelinajolie Wed 24-Oct-12 00:10:14

Hi I am a 40 something mum of three whose children attended local primary and secondary schools in the Altrincham area. I have lived in Timperley all my life so i know the Sale/Altrincham/Timperley/Hale/Bowdon area like the back of my hand! I went to Altrincham Grammar and so did one of my children, one went to Wellington and the other is at a local independant. If anyone needs any advice about moving into the area - whether it's advice on 'parts of town best avoided', catchment areas or '11 plus exams', I'll do my best to help!

Re Oldfield Brow - it's lovely I agree, but if your children don't pass the entrance exams for the Grammar Schools the Secondary School they would be in catchment for is Altrincham College of Arts which is quite a distance and doesn't have as good a reputation locally as Wellington.

DIddled Mon 22-Oct-12 21:28:10

Hi got a son Y9 AGSB let me know if any q's ? I know a lot of peeps at other schools too- we are out of area.

ohforfoxsake Sun 21-Oct-12 20:04:11

I'm revisiting this thread as since originally starting it we've moved, are in schools and have just had Ds's grammar results.

Having done all the open days we are spoilt for choice with grammar and high schools, all of which have so much to offer.

Sezaroo Wed 10-Oct-12 02:55:32

Hi Jenbobs2

Yes I'm pretty sure that Oldfield Brown comes under the Alty Grammar catchment as from memory that is all WA14 and WA15 postcodes - and the area all comes under WA14.

As 'theweekendisnear' pointed out, the head teacher at Oldfield Brow is very very good. This clearly filters through to the teachers and to the students. I went to look at a few of the schools including The Bollin and Stamford Park, and although they were really nice I just felt that Oldfield Brow had the edge. If they can get those results with kids from a mix of economic backgrounds compared to others where the majority are from privileged backgrounds (more likely to have private tutors etc) then they must be doing something right.

I've just had a quick look on rightmove, and a search for 'houses' in 'Oldfield Brow' brought up 61 results, 16 of which are £300k or under. Most in the £200-£300k category tend to go really quickly, as we wanted to move on to St Marks Avenue but the two on there at £219 and £239k already have sales agreed. I have been told that there is a nice 4 bed semi on St Marks due to come on the market in the coming weeks priced at £320k from a 'motivated seller', so you could possibly get that for £300k. Unfortunately our budget wont stretch that far so I'll let you have it! hehe. Good luck with your search and hope that this helps! ;-)

jenbobs2 Wed 26-Sep-12 09:57:51

sezaroo - would be interested in your opinion as just starting all my research now!
I want to move into the catchment area of good primary/ secondary. I'm in Didsbury now and looking at Trafford as excellent secondary education (with VIth form) comes free! My boys are 1 & 2 smile
My question is will your house also come under catchment for one of the good grammars? (Alty/ Sale/ Ambrose/ Stretford). But also ... what are the other schools like if the boys dont pass their entrance exams (eek!).
I am having trouble finding catchment maps for the grammars as they seem to be postcode/ street based, and maps arent provided on the LEA website.
We'll be looking about the £250-300k mark.
Many thanks!

PropositionJoe Thu 13-Sep-12 21:56:41

Hmm. Oldfield Brow is "the wrong side of town" though. What about Stamford Park or the Bollin?

theweekendisnear Thu 13-Sep-12 21:45:59

I name changed because I don't want to be recognised, but the following is all true!

About Oldfield Brow - yes, it is a friendly place.

Oldfield Brow Primary School - the headteacher (if it's still the one that was there 3 years ago) is FANTASTIC. He is the reason why this school is a good place for the kids. We had to move from Oldfield Brow, and the kids are now happy in their new school. But they still say that they miss the old headteacher, and they still sing the songs that he taught them.

He knew every child, and could tell you the personality of each kid. He also helped parents with their CVs etc. Great person.

I feel that my kids' current school is better suited to them, but we do miss the old HT so much. (BTW we didn't move because of the school, we moved country because of work.)

Oh, another great point was the nursery at Oldfield Brow. Again: great nursery teacher who cared a lot about the kids, and a very nice little outside area for the kids to play in.

And the Toddler group on Taylor Road kept me sane when the kids were little. I don't know if it's still there though.

Sezaroo Thu 13-Sep-12 17:32:21

PS, I forgot to mention that Oldfield Brow is next to two gorgeous parks - John Leigh Park, a lovely park with open spaces and fantastic play areas, and also next to Dunham Massey - a national trust park where you can walk through fantastic gardens with wild deer, rabbits and bird life. You are 5 minutes from the motorway network and also have the transport depo in Altrincham centre within a short walk from where you can get a tram, train or bus. Driving to Manchester is also easy as it is one straight road in from Altrincham.

It really is a wonderful place.

Sezaroo Thu 13-Sep-12 17:27:22

I know that I'm a little late for this thread, but having recently gone through exactly the same process myself I can hopefully help out anybody else who is thinking of moving to the Manchester area.

My partner and I did research until Ofsted reports and Key Stage results were coming out of our ears! In the end we opted for Altrincham as it really was by far the best area of Manchester we found. Not only are the schools great, but it is a really nice place to live too.

The best primary school in Altrincham that we found is Oldfield Brow Primary School - rated excellent by Ofsted and with the best results in recent years of all the primary schools in the area - see the 'Find my school' website.

The area surrounding the school is also a great place to live as the prices aren't as high as some other parts of Altrincham, but with the school recently shooting up the table I'm sure that prices are rising. The school is now very difficult to get in to if you live outside the catchment, so my advice is that the nicer houses are to be found towards the top of the 'brow'. Roads such as Oldfield Road, St Marks Avenue etc are really nice, tree lined roads and you can find houses around the £200-300k mark for a 3 bed. Further down the hill on the estate you can get similar places for around £160-180k. If you've got more to spend then there are loads of million £+ houses too. Try going on Rightmove and doing a 1/4 mile radius search for WA14 4JB and all of those places will be within the catchment for Oldfield Brow.

As I say, I did all the research humanly possible and I pinpointed that area after compiling my findings. Since moving over here it really would taker a bulldozer to move me elswhere!

bigfootbeliever Wed 22-Sep-10 06:06:00

I used to live in Hale (gorgeous), shopped in Altrincham and worked in Manchester (used the Metro).

This was before DS came along but it's a lovely place to live. I still miss it.

rosiedosie Tue 21-Sep-10 23:29:17

Where did you finally decide on???!!!

Littlemissneurotic Tue 21-Sep-10 10:57:06

If you look on 'radius around a point' maps, can help you draw up catchment area maps if you are aiming for comps too. Didn't catch the age of your DC's but will watch this chat with interest as am very interested in moving to Timperley from East manchester. PS lived v near Manchester boys and Girls for many years and would avoid the area.

SophieJo Sat 31-Jul-10 17:54:58

I was worried about moving North from London especially as the children were so settled in their schools.We were looking to continue their education in private schools and fortunately found a lovely small school which suited them perfectly.Forest School Timperley is a small prep school which we were told, caters for the grammar schools in Altrincham as well as the other Independant schools like Manchester Grammar and is so welcoming.

jeaniego Thu 11-Mar-10 22:34:32

Hi we are thinking of moving to urmston/flixton but have heard rumours about smells of sewage which has put us off a bit. Can anyone comment? Also looking for advice on where to avoid or hotspots in this area. Many thanks

GG

pranma Sat 16-Jan-10 22:17:33

Urmston Grammar is a super school not only academically but also on the pastoral side.The best comp is Bramhall High imho.

Ohforfoxsake Fri 15-Jan-10 11:26:18

ooh, are you all going to have a meet-up? smile

paddingtonbear1 Thu 14-Jan-10 21:30:18

My office is round the corner from the Wilmslow Waitrose, I sometimes pop in there for a sarnie
I like John Lewis too, dd (6) likes their cafe!

MerlinsBeard Tue 12-Jan-10 22:17:23

TBH i am a bit vague on Wilmslow TC too blush

MerlinsBeard Tue 12-Jan-10 22:10:57

Ooh maybe i could nip in before dancing tomorrow wink

I dance at the recreation centre on a Wed night

myredcardigan Tue 12-Jan-10 21:59:32

MOM, the Wilmslow Waitrose is in the town centre. Just down the hill behind Starbucks. Just up from the church.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now