If you were lucky enough to have the choice of Alleyn's Junior school or JAPS

(27 Posts)
spoiltforchoice Sat 31-Jan-09 19:31:33

for your 4 yo dd, which would you choose?
It's a lovely position to be in, but we need to decide by next Friday, and can see pros and cons to both.

I'd get some money off the fees at Alleyn's, and it is next to where I work. But I know girls tend to do better in single sex, and Alleyn's doesn't always push the really able particularly hard.

Japs has a lovely grassy garden and fluffy bunnies for the tinies
<<easily swayed by cute things>>
but then a move of site after a couple of years, and, I think, more tests at 7+ to get into the middle school bit. It also has a reputation for being very academic or a bit hothousing and producing neurotic, anorexic types (say lots of kids I've talked to). I don't know what to think.

PS hasty name change to protect the innocent.

poppy34 Sat 31-Jan-09 19:34:30

cat me as have family experience of both but would prefer not to chat about it on open forum.

spoiltforchoice Sat 31-Jan-09 19:36:27

Hmmm

pooka Sat 31-Jan-09 19:37:03

I think Alleyns. Because is co-ed. Wouldn't want my dd going to a single sex school at primary level (nor even at secondary level - having experienced all-girl's hell for a few years of secondary level myself).

spoiltforchoice Sat 31-Jan-09 19:37:59

I don't have cat. Can I give you my email?
Will have a go set up a hotmail, as usual email gives my name away.

Thanks for helping, btw. Am very torn.

sarah293 Sat 31-Jan-09 19:39:05

Message withdrawn

spoiltforchoice Sat 31-Jan-09 19:39:32

Good point, pooka. I went to co-ed primary, but then single sex 2ndary, and even chose all-girls uni colege as I liked the atmosphere so much. But true that it doesn't suit all, and dd may well not enjoy it. I guess most of her friends would end up being from school, so....

eekamoose Sat 31-Jan-09 19:40:17

Yes she did Riven.

spoiltforchoice Sat 31-Jan-09 19:40:41

Yes. But everyone at both places took the piss out of her mercilessly for it, from what I heard. Can't think (hope) she's representative...

Oh, and college blush

sarah293 Sat 31-Jan-09 19:42:01

Message withdrawn

pooka Sat 31-Jan-09 19:43:12

Is luck of the draw really wrt all-girl's.

Don't know much about the other option (is it James Allen, or a different JA. If James Allen, dh went to dulwich and says that the girls were terrifying! That might be a good thing if in amazonian way, but could equally mean he was pursued). Obviously this applies to senior school and not the young'uns.

Do know people who went to the senior Alleyns and did very well.

spoiltforchoice Sat 31-Jan-09 19:45:00

poppy, please can you email me at

spoiltforchoicemum@hotmail.com ?

Thanks a lot! Hope your advice tallies with my gut instinct.

spoiltforchoice Sat 31-Jan-09 19:46:41

Got to go sort out rampaging little 'uns, but shall log in in a bit. Any help gratefully received.

poppy34 Sat 31-Jan-09 20:21:31

spoilt email bounced...

spoiltforchoice Sat 31-Jan-09 20:47:00

Damn. Please could you try again? Maybe it was too soon after setting up the account. If it bounces again, I guess I'll just have to unveil myself...

spoiltforchoice Sat 31-Jan-09 21:15:19

I'm an idiot. I signed up for
spoiltforchoicemum@hotmail.co.uk , not hotmail.com. hmm

<hoping poppy is still about>

spoiltforchoice Sun 01-Feb-09 20:51:32

Bumping in hope of more responses. smile

DesperateHousewifeToo Sun 01-Feb-09 21:03:06

Is Alleyns same as JAG's?

Dneice goes there. She is 11yrs and seems quite grounded still. Her parents seem happy with it.

Although, have to say, we have not discussed it specifically.

So hard to make decisions about schools but great to have a choice.

We will be having to make decision for ds in next few weeks and my mind keeps changing from one to other (and still waiting for news of third).

spoiltforchoice Sun 01-Feb-09 21:11:07

Thanks, DHT! Japs is the prep section of JAGS, Alleyn's is the co-ed school across the way Both very lovely. <sigh>

Good luck with making your decision re ds! It's especially hard if he's going into secondary, I imagine.

DesperateHousewifeToo Sun 01-Feb-09 21:14:15

Ds has just done 7+. Glad it's all oversmile

spoiltforchoice Mon 02-Feb-09 12:09:21

I bet - it's nerve-wracking, isn't it?
And thanks to poppy for a very illuminating email! grin

spoiltforchoice Wed 04-Feb-09 16:17:41

Final bump in the hope that someone will be able to make my mind up for me. Please God. grin

CrushWithEyeliner Wed 04-Feb-09 16:20:12

Don't send her to JAPS

BonsoirAnna Wed 04-Feb-09 16:24:33

I don't know either school but would always vote for co-ed (having experienced both single sex and co-ed at secondary).

NorkyButNice Wed 04-Feb-09 16:35:35

I went to JAGS, leaving in 97. The girls who came from JAPS were no different personality wise to those who came from any other London private primary school. Likelihood of developing an eating disorder during senior school wasn't in any way related to which junior school you came from.

JAGS/JAPS is (or certainly was) the best school in the area results-wise, and being at a single sex school wasn't detrimental as far as most of us were concerned. There's a close relationship with Dulwich College for a lot of extra-curricular activities (both planned and unplanned by school!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now