The Royal alexandra and Albert School, Gatton Park, Surrey

(14 Posts)
LIZS Tue 02-Apr-13 14:17:11

It has only recently added a full 6th form so may not appear on lists based on A level results alone.

titchy Tue 02-Apr-13 14:12:46

http://www.education.gov.uk/cgi-bin/schools/performance/school.pl?urn=125279&superview=sec&qtype=LA

Try the above.

oshgosh Tue 02-Apr-13 11:17:57

In a word: no
I have tried looking on the FT site and searched by school name (Royal.. and The Royal...), searched by town and even looked on the map. It's not there!

FWIW, this is the Independent's top 100 comprehensives which features several SBS, but not RAAS.

Dadso Tue 02-Apr-13 10:34:59

Dear All,

I have been trying to find out the uk state school ranking of RAAS by FT but cannot find the result. Can any one help please?

mumoverseas Wed 04-May-11 18:04:55

PKPopsy I can answer for mountain girl, her DS did end up going there and is friends with my DD. There is another MNer who is sending her DD there in September so maybe we can organise a MNet meet up at the start of term wink

UniS Tue 03-May-11 10:22:36

There are other "state" boarding schools doted about, where the education is "free" and boarding is paid for. In Devon there is Crediton , this is a community college comprehensive, with mostly day pupils and some boarders. www.queenelizabeths.devon.sch.uk/boarding/default.asp?subMenu=9 Around 3k a term for full boarding , for comparison RAAS is about 4k a term.

No personal experience of crediton , but have worked with someone who boarded there for 6th form after growing up on a remote island.

MollieO Sun 01-May-11 14:32:12

I think poster mumoverseas has a dd at the school.

goinggetstough Sun 01-May-11 14:22:37

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/secondary/1198541-Schools-in-Surrey-and-West-Sussex

The above is a recent thread that includes information about RAA.

Hope it is useful?

PKPopsy Sun 01-May-11 14:02:29

Hi Mountaingirl, I have many of the same issues as you did when you posted this and am looking at the RAAS for my DD who is educated in the French system. What decision did you make in the end and are you happy with it?

mountaingirl Fri 09-Jan-09 14:31:21

Thanks Lizs. The kids certainly looked bright and animated on their video on the website. It's so difficult to know what to do, keep ds in the French system or get him to experience english school, but he'd have to board and the fees are so expensive at so many of the other schools. He is very sporty and I feel he is bright but lazy and the french system doesn't bring out the best in him. But as I keep saying to my dh why bother sending him back if he isn't going to a school where he will achieve good academic results as well.....

LIZS Thu 08-Jan-09 17:19:40

dh has visited it with ds and rather liked it. It used to have a reputation for taking a large proportion of SEN and "difficult" children from all over (it is a state funded boarding school) but now consciously states it doesn't provide particular SEN support above the norm. New head is popular and results and local attitudes have certainly improved since he arrived. I was impressed by the smartness, attitude and behaviour of some RAA children carrying out surveys in the local town recently, certainly better many from the local comp. If you contact them they will send a dvd which is a great sell !

mountaingirl Thu 08-Jan-09 14:22:15

Thank you so much for your help. The fees are definately interesting!

ReigateMum Thu 08-Jan-09 14:06:38

We live locally and know one family whose daughter went there (as a day girl I think) after winning a sports scholarship.

It is quite an unusual school in that it is a state-subsidised boarding school or something?

For what it's worth, here's my view from what I've heard from things I've read, or people who know people with kids there:

- It wasn't a particularly impressive school a while back, but the newish Head has made some big differences
- It was awarded some special 'sporting' status from the Govt, which means it gets extra funding for sport, and offers sports scholarships
- Great facilities in a BEAUTIFUL environment (the gardens are open to the public once a month, and we often go there)

- I've heard some discussions around the fact that it has a lot of children from forces families, and expats. While I'm not suggesting that there are widespread problems, I have heard some comments that this can cause some divisions between the boarders and local, 'day' children.

- A while ago it was profiled in the media as having taken on some children from broken homes as part of an experiment to give them a 'better chance' in life (away from family problems). It seemed to have been very successful - she was Head Girl I think!

I think the general consensus is that it's a school on the 'up', and 'one to watch'. It's not considered competitive with the other local independent schools (Caterham, RGS etc) as the academics results are not as high, but probably good for all-rounders or sporty types?

mountaingirl Thu 08-Jan-09 13:56:03

Hello, Does anyone have any personal experience of this school? It looks quite interesting. Any comments welcome. We are looking at sending Ds aged 14 back to UK perhaps to finish his education. Would a more traditional school be better..?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now