Group hug to all year 6s and their parents waiting for the post.

(74 Posts)
tigermoth Tue 01-Mar-05 20:08:03

Hope everyone gets offered a school they and their children are happy with - comp, grammar, whatever.

I don't feel very confident, myself, but hope ds is ok with the news. Good luck and a hug to everyone else.

kid Tue 01-Mar-05 20:10:09

We are waiting to hear about my nephew. I really hope he gets into his first choice, I can't stand the waiting.

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Tue 01-Mar-05 20:11:59

We went through this last year. You have my {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

I did hear that there have been problems with the software so don't give up if you don't hear for a couple of day. Wishing you all the best

Freckle Tue 01-Mar-05 20:12:28

Was thinking of you today, Tigermoth. Do you get your letter tomorrow too? Fingers crossed for you and ds.

DS1 has been in a very erratic mood since coming home from school today. Really nasty to DS3 and snippy with me. When asked what the problem was (bearing in mind that he was like this when there were bullying problems) he said he didn't really know, so I suspect he is wound up about tomorrow.

wordgirl Tue 01-Mar-05 20:18:28

We had our letter yesterday and ds didn't get into our first choice school. I didn't really expect him to though and second choice school is fine so I'm not too disappointed.
Hypothetically though, if I were to appeal, I wonder what reasons I would give? What sort of things do people say in appeals and do you have to have a real reason eg. special needs etc.

tigermoth Tue 01-Mar-05 20:19:08

I can't stand the waiting either, and my ds has been on edge too - he said lots of his class were talking about it and are afraid of the news. I just feel very pessimistic - up to a few days ago I was fine, but now I don't feel hopeful. Must make sure ds doesn't realise.

If he fails the 11+ the first of the comps that we put on our preference list is really nice - ds was enthusiastic about going there, but even so, it's heavily oversubscribed and a long distance away, so I am not hopeful about that either.

Interesting to hear that the software is not all it should be - now why does that not surprise me

kid Tue 01-Mar-05 20:19:57

are the letters due tomorrow then?

Freckle Tue 01-Mar-05 20:20:07

Sometimes the fact that you are appealing is enough to win. Shows that you really want that school. You really need to "sell" your child - and that includes selling yourself too, willingness to get involved, support the school etc.

I had to do an appeal for my niece last year and she got in.

wordgirl Tue 01-Mar-05 20:21:17

Ooh, that's interesting Freckle. Maybe I will give it a go - looks like I have nothing to lose!

tigermoth Tue 01-Mar-05 20:21:26

don't know much about appeals, wordgirl, but can't you stay on the waiting list for the first choice school? some children will inevetably not take up their place offers, perhaps if the family has moved house or they decide to go for a private education (scholarship results come out in April I believe).

tigermoth Tue 01-Mar-05 20:23:09

I think you can ask the school to tell you how many appeals have been successful in previous years - and in proportion to the number of appeals made.

wordgirl Tue 01-Mar-05 20:23:35

Yes, I think I might try that too tigermoth although first choice school is in a different LEA so it's a bit complicated but again I have nothing to lose.
Hope you have better luck tomorrow

tigermoth Tue 01-Mar-05 20:23:46

the letters are due from tomorrow - apparently they were posted first class today, but with our postal system, who knows!

roisin Tue 01-Mar-05 20:41:58

TM - I hope you get a good night's sleep tonight, and that the postal service is efficient tomorrow ... for once!

Thinking of you. R

tigermoth Tue 01-Mar-05 20:56:28

thanks roisin - I will try, am runnning a hot bath as I type.

I am amazed you and all these year 6 people have appeared out of nowhere so quickly, exactly when I wanted to wish people good luck and find some empathy - I love mumsent!

Freckle Wed 02-Mar-05 11:04:49

He did it!!! DS1 has passed his 11+ and has been offered a place at his first preference grammar school. I'm so chuffed for him. He was so excited this morning and I couldn't bear to have to break bad news to him, so I'm jolly glad that I don't have to. I called the school to ask them to tell him and they fetched him from his class so that I could tell him myself.

I can't believe how emotional I am. Can't stop shaking. Must have been tamping down the emotions and now they're all coming out.

Tigermoth, have you heard yet???

jampots Wed 02-Mar-05 11:09:04

Congrats Freckle (and mini Freckle)

dd just missed the 11+ last year but she managed to get into one of the best schools in the Borough and against all the odds so I know how ecstatic you must be

I had considered sending her to a private school (just 'til her name came up on the waiting list) at a cost of £7k a year so we ended up going out for a meal and spending £150 instead - seemed a bargain at the time!!

Freckle Wed 02-Mar-05 11:13:19

Thanks, Jampots. I think I've been deliberately expecting bad news so that I could cope with it. Even if it had been bad news, it wouldn't have been the end of the matter because I would have appealed to the nth degree, but at least I don't have to worry now.

Gobbledigook Wed 02-Mar-05 11:16:41

Well done Freckle's ds! (BTW, I'm not waiting for a letter, mine haven't even started primary yet!! - just like good news )

JanH Wed 02-Mar-05 11:17:25

Oh, Freckle, that's fantastic! How nice that school let you ring and tell him.

The letters come on a Saturday morning here (one year they didn't for some reason, that was a tense weekend!)

tigermoth, where are you?

Freckle Wed 02-Mar-05 11:42:54

I only called to ask them to let him know and they've obviously been anticipating a few calls because the secretary immediately asked if I'd like her to fetch him to the phone.

Apart from a suppressed "Yes!" from him, his response was very muted. I think it might be difficult for him to be too happy at school, because that might be seen as boasting.

firestorm Wed 02-Mar-05 11:43:48

congratulations freckle & well done to your ds
im already paraniod about secondary schools, were moving area later this year to be in catchment for a good school, & mine are only 5 & 4.
tigermoth, any news yet? im keeping everything crossed for you.

piffle Wed 02-Mar-05 12:37:33

hugs and congrats lil freckle!
IF it helps anyone the marks seemed to be lower this year in our area and children with 70% have got a good pass mark.
So there is always hope, this was after we were told they never adjusted the threshold too...
Nerve racking I know I hope everyone gets what they want too, although obviously there is always something new to worry about afterwards!

Marina Wed 02-Mar-05 12:39:16

Posted to you guys on a different education thread, have been thinking of you all. Ds' school is tiny so even though he is Y1 we are all on edge for the Year sixers!

hopefulmover Wed 02-Mar-05 12:40:53

one of my friends said that in her area all parents were given a password so they could find out the results (only for their child) online. Unfortunately all the parents tried to log in at midnight and crashed the system.

Still seems like a much better sytem, especially as our postman was 2 hours later than usual.

Freckle Wed 02-Mar-05 12:42:43

The radio reported that only 80% of entrants passed the 11+ in Kent. Bearing in mind that, due to criteria imposed by the good high schools - and the risk of being sent to a sink school if you fail the 11+ - most of the entrants had been classed as "dead certs" by their schools, this will leave a lot of devastated children and parents out there.

They also reported that 20% of children in Kent were not offered their first preference school and 11% were not offered any of the schools on their list.

noddyholder Wed 02-Mar-05 12:46:38

Just had the letter and ds has got in to our 1st choice I am over the moon but a bit worried about all the other boys as some of them live quite far from the school it is so stressful.Dp has phoned me 3 times already but post was late so will have to tell him tonight

Lucycat Wed 02-Mar-05 12:49:40

How stressful for you all! We don't have the 11+ up here (Labour run council for donkey's years!) so we just go our local secondary school, which fortunately is very good. I wasn't even aware tbh that many areas still DID have the 11+! Is it common, and do people still really talk about sink schools?!

Freckle Wed 02-Mar-05 12:52:18

Not sure that the word "sink" is terribly PC anymore, but writing "condemned by OFSTED" takes longer .

There are a number of authorities which have retained the 11+, mainly due to parental pressure.

Noddyholder, so pleased for you that your son got his chosen school. Stress city indeed.

Lucycat Wed 02-Mar-05 13:00:22

How do the parents whose children don't manage to get into their ideal school feel? can they appeal or do they try and afford independent school? Does this create a them and us mentality in the town?

Sorry for all the nosey questions but it's all very alien for me and I'm intrigued!

Marina Wed 02-Mar-05 13:01:22

or "in special measures" come to that. Well done to your ds Freckle and you too Noddyholder.You're Kent I guess Freckle, like Tigermoth I live in an underperforming London borough but closer to the boundary of a borough that has the 11+ and several good grammar and comprehensive schools. So this will be us in four years' time

Freckle Wed 02-Mar-05 13:01:35

There is an appeal process if you are unhappy with the school you have been allocated, but I have no idea how successful appeals are.

Lucycat Wed 02-Mar-05 13:04:06

Just read your 11+ thread post Freckle! What a clever boy!! Special tea tonight then is it? Chocolate cake for mum too, for 'breeding' such a talented lad!

tiptop Wed 02-Mar-05 13:10:33

Freckle and noddyholder - Many congratulations to your ds's. I'm very pleased for you!

wordgirl - I hope your appeal is successful. <<crossing fingers for you>>

tigermoth - I'll cross my fingers for you, too. Good luck!

Potty1 Wed 02-Mar-05 13:11:58

We are waiting for the letter too. Not too worried though as ds2 is at the school already.

Well done to little Freckle

batters Wed 02-Mar-05 13:20:18

Good luck to everyone.

hopefulmover Wed 02-Mar-05 13:20:50

Not sure how many grammar schools are left but the one dd will be going to takes pupils from a very wide area. The other schools around here are not failing schools. We looked around lots of schools but the atmosphere at the grammar seemed best suited to our child. I suspect one of the other local schools may even "add more value" but dd just didn't like it/ want to go there because it was spread out where the grammar is smaller and more compact.

MABS Wed 02-Mar-05 15:19:59

fab Noddy - really pleased xx

threadkillingstrawberry Wed 02-Mar-05 15:30:23

Good luck everyone.
We found out a few weeks ago (Im on Wales so must find out a bit earlier here) it was good news and ds got into the school we were hoping for PHEW!!!!
So I know what some of you are going through, we dont live in the catchment area to ds secondary school so it was a real worry, but its all turned out ok.
xx

kid Wed 02-Mar-05 18:20:16

didn't receive the letter today, at least another day to wait

tigermoth Wed 02-Mar-05 18:55:07

he did it! got our first choice school as well!!! I still cannot believe take it in - I only heard and hour and a half ago!

Congrats, noddyholder, freckle, threadkilling strawberry and hopefulmover and anyone else I have forgotten.

Your thought process matched mine exactly, freckle - I was deliberatelyi expecting bad news so I could cope with it.

Looking at my sons' results I was right - the non verbal reasoning test was his lowest score - he got 20 points lower in it than the other tests - it was a hard one for him!

DS2 (age 5) on hearing the news told me he too wants a new school to go to - 'and if I don't have one by Tuesday I'll be very bad'. Heis being very quiet about it all. He needs a lots of attention and a great big treat.

tigermoth Wed 02-Mar-05 18:55:58

kid, hope that letter comes tomorrow - lots of luck and hugs to all those out there who are still waiting.

roisin Wed 02-Mar-05 18:58:04

Congratulations Everybody - celebrations all round!

Kid - so sorry you're having to wait another day

firestorm Wed 02-Mar-05 19:05:29

congratulations tigermoth! & well done to your ds. it must be such a huge weight off your shoulders.

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Wed 02-Mar-05 19:06:42

Congratulations all. Good luck to those who need to appeal. Well done to the children that got the schools of their choice. I was in your shoes last year and will be in them again next year. Our Y6s are away on school journey so there's not a lot of celebrating or crying going on at our school currently. They went on Monday.

Janh Wed 02-Mar-05 20:04:20

tigermoth, I am really really pleased for you and DS1, you have been through such a lot with him in earlier years and it's brilliant that he's set fair now for his secondary school career! Bravo!

Dunno what you're going to do about DS2 next Tuesday though!

kid, I'm very sorry you didn't get your letter today, nightmare, hope it comes tomorrow and that it's good news

Freckle Wed 02-Mar-05 21:54:34

So thrilled to hear this, Tigermoth. When you didn't post earlier, I thought it must be because you'd had bad news. Eek.

DH asked me whether I'd found out what DS1's 11+ scores were and I said that, as long as he has been offered the school we all wanted, I didn't give two hoots what his exam results were.

As an aside, DH has just read over my shoulder and asked what DH means. He then thought about it and concluded that it meant Darling Husband. Went away a little subdued when I said that, actually, it meant D**H*d . Teach him to read my postings.

tigermoth Thu 03-Mar-05 07:14:04

good luck to all those getting letters today!

Freckle, although the letter arrived at lunchtime, popped home and told me by phone) we had agreed with ds not to open it till he was there, so after dh left work and ds left school, they opened it together. I was at work and they phoned me up! quite glad I wasn't there in person in a way, as I was so tense about the whole thing.

Janh, thanks! yes it is a relief and ds had to work hard to do this, so I am very proud of him. ds2 had good old strop ablout not having a new school as well. I don't think I can stand the trauma of choosing any more schools for years and years! Luckily, I had an unopened christmas present put by for ds2 and we gave it to him - an micomachines army set. He needed lots of adult help from dh in setting it up, so hopefully got his share of attention too - he went to bed a happier boy, anyway.

Freckle Thu 03-Mar-05 08:42:34

I don't think I could have been restrained enough not to open the letter when it was sitting there! Fortunately, we hadn't agreed to wait, so I just ripped it open. It was really nice of the school to let me tell him myself rather than pass on a message.

Marina Thu 03-Mar-05 10:13:28

Ah, good old Micromachines Tigermoth (we have that very set skulking in the wardrobe for when ds' first baby tooth finally wobbles out...)
CONGRATULATIONS! I don't think I have read a post on here for oooh, at least a week, that has made me so happy . I know how hard you have worked to support ds1 through all this and I know he will just flourish at his new school.
From the prospect of being on the SN Register at a "failing" Primary to this in just five years...he has done so well. Oh, I am really chuffed for him and all of you (ds2 will get over it )!

batters Thu 03-Mar-05 10:28:08

Tigermoth, I am soooo pleased for your son and for you .

What an achieivement for you as well, I know how much you have supported your son. As Marina says who would have thought he could do so well in such a short amount of time. You must be really, really proud.

Congratulations to all Mumsnetters who have heard good news this week about school.

kid Thu 03-Mar-05 20:32:32

My nephew got his letter today. My sister went home at lunchtime and had to take it to him at school because she was under strict instructions not to open it!
He didn't get his 1st or 2nd choice , he got his 3rd choice which had my nephew got his own way, would have been his 2nd choice (if that makes any sense!) I'm pleased with the school he got in to, especially as he is happy with it.

tigermoth Thu 03-Mar-05 20:53:11

kid, glad your nephew is happy with his school, that's so important. The who-opens-the-letter-bit is nerveracking. I think it's something to work out with your child in advance, just like your sister did.

Freckle Thu 03-Mar-05 20:58:35

I agree. That was why it was so stressful waiting to hear, because DS1 really wanted to go to this particular school. It is so important that the child is happy with the school.

I didn't talk to DS1 about who was going to open the letter. The school had said we could call them to find out the result of the 11+ (but not the school allocation) and they would then tell our child, but, tbh, I wasn't so fussed about the result of the exam as to find out which school he had been allocated. It wouldn't have been fair on the school if all parents had rushed along to open the letter with their child and I certainly couldn't have restrained myself until the end of the day!

Aero Thu 03-Mar-05 21:05:44

Just found this and congratulations to all of you who got the news you wanted to hear. Hopefully anyone who is disappointed can appeal.
Rofl Freckle at DH! Well done to your ds1 - that's fabulous news.

Freckle Thu 03-Mar-05 21:08:20

tigermoth Fri 04-Mar-05 07:50:10

thinking of the rest of you out there who are still waiting for results.

thanks so much for your kind words, Marina and Batters :

piffle Fri 04-Mar-05 09:47:06

congrats Tigermoth!!!
What a relief and so much to look forward too
xx Piff

jura Fri 04-Mar-05 17:16:14

We had our letters last night - we're on the edges of several boroughs so there were loads of them to open. Bit disappointed... she didn't get into the ultra-academic, highly selective, top rated school (we're in Kingston!) which I was expecting, but it was the results themselves that I found a bit worrying. Out of 907 kids taking the test, she was not in the top 500, ie well into the bottom half. And this was on the basis of verbal and non-verbal reasoning only, which is where she has shone in other tests. And yet, she's been offered places at two of the nicer, also-academic, pretty-highly-rated independent schools, and we had already decided to accept one of these. Maybe she deliberately didn't try too hard on the state tests... Oh well, destined to remain impoverished for seven more years...

tigermoth Sat 05-Mar-05 07:34:18

jura, things must work differently in your area. Where we are, you get just the one school place offer, even if you have applied for schools in several different boroughs (but I am talking only about state schools, plus a local foundation school that agreed on this system) It must have been tough opening lots of different envelopes. I'm glad your dd is happy with the news. Perhaps, as you say, she had already set her mind on it when she took the 11+ tests.

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Sat 05-Mar-05 07:37:29

spare a thought for my poor nephew. He didn't get offered any school. Apparently he didn't fit the criteria. And there was me thinking that being in Y6 was a good starter. My poor sister is in bits about it all. She could do with lots of prayers, positive vibes etc.

Freckle Sat 05-Mar-05 08:08:23

Oh, how horrible. Presumably there is some sort of appeal process? Wishing her every luck. Parents really don't need this sort of stress. You get enough raising children anyway, without the system piling more on you.

tigermoth Sat 05-Mar-05 09:48:41

sending her many positive vibes. It was what I dreaded happening to us. It would have made me feel no one wanted my ds - very illogical I know as the selection is worked out by computers - but still that thought would have been in my mind. I hope a place comes up at a school high on his list as soon as possible.

Some girl in my son's class, expected to pass the 11+, got a score or 430, just one mark less than the 431 pass mark I don't know her or her family well, I just hope they are happy with the school they have been offered.

jampots Sat 05-Mar-05 09:50:30

oh mars thats terrible. Surely they have to offer her a school?

My lad in my friend's dd's class wanted this school and instead was given this one we think they must only have put one school on their application form

tigermoth Sat 05-Mar-05 09:52:59

wow, that's such a big difference

Freckle Sat 05-Mar-05 10:04:43

Tigermoth, is there no appeals process for those that just fail the 11+? My niece failed her 11+ by about 9 points, but was offered a place at her preferred grammar school on appeal. She's doing really well there, so it was obviously the right school for her.

jura Sat 05-Mar-05 10:34:48

Tigermoth, we are in the same system - but applying to schools in different boroughs meant we received THE letter from our home borough, with the single school offer, but also inexplicably received a letter from the neighbouring borough saying no, AND a letter from one of the selective schools (in the home borough) also saying no. Lots of paper flying around, same effect. Still, dd is vv happy with the independent school, so relief all round.

Janh Sat 05-Mar-05 10:58:14

Is it London, Marslady? According to this the computers have gone haywire - hope it's just because of that and he gets something good soon. <<In Croydon, 370 children have not been allocated a place, while 400 have got offers from two schools.>> There will be places for everybody, won't there???

Freckle Sat 05-Mar-05 11:05:15

In Kent, apparently, 20% of pupils didn't get their first choice and 11% didn't get any of the schools on their list. And this is classed as a good year for school allocations. What on earth is a bad year like??

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Sun 06-Mar-05 00:14:46

Yes, it's West London. My poor sister is a wreck. Will just look at your link just now. Thanks

YAZ2007 Thu 13-Jun-13 17:38:21

What did you say I am very streesed I have 2 appeals and I really want to win

Marmitelover55 Thu 13-Jun-13 18:35:49

This thread looks very old - last post was over 7 years ago. You may be better off posting a new question grin

BeauNidle Thu 13-Jun-13 18:39:26

2005 !!

Marmitelover55 Thu 13-Jun-13 18:43:34

Woops - 8 years ago not 7 years ago!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now