Successful appeal for reception class place above 30

(35 Posts)
seahorse Fri 14-Feb-03 12:57:54

I've just heard that my appeal to allow ds a place in a reception class has been upheld. We had to argue on the very narrow grounds allowed when all 30 places have been allocated.
If anyone needs any advice, help or ideas as to how to go about this process please post them here.

bakedpotato Mon 26-Feb-07 14:19:32

Can't offer any advice re the appeal, but do you know where she is on the waiting list?
Waiting lists can shrink pretty rapidly. Between 10 and 15 children ended up refusing places in dd's reception entry of 60 -- maybe they moved or went private. (Which is why she got a place.)

Ladymuck Mon 26-Feb-07 14:28:08

littlefishy1 - usually schools have a policy which gives priority to siblings. so you should be OK. If not, and given this school has been allocated to your older child I would expect that you would have strong grounds to appeal on the basis of unreasonableness for you younger child. But of course you need not appeal until such time as the younger starts school (and indeed only if they do not get a place).

fennel Fri 02-Mar-07 10:42:43

We also appealed and won places for my dds in yr 1 and yr 2 at the local, officially full, school. It was maybe similar to seahorse's case, we moved into a village and very much wanted the dds to go to their local school (a 5 minute walk) rather than to the nearby city school they had been going to, which was now a drive away. Officially the yr 1 class was oversubscribed and the yr 2 class full. Even though the classes only had about 16-20 children in, the school is limited by physical space restraints.

I wrote a rather impassioned appeal essay which got the girls a place that same week, even though we had been told it would be a long wait to go to formal appeal and probably then a long time on a waiting list til 2 other children left the school.

my appeal focused on the immense importance for small children to be part of their local community and go to their local school, and the impact on car use of having to drive them to another school rather than walk them to our local school. I think this worked as our LEA is very keen on reducing car traffic into the city at rush hour, and is also keen on children going to their local catchment school where possible. I used quite emotive phrases such as "forcing infants to become car commuters into the city rather than being integrated into their local community"!

so I suggest it might be worth looking at your LEA's priorities on a website and seeing if you can tie these into your appeal.

littlefishy1 Thu 08-Mar-07 20:51:20

thanks for all the comments, I'm going to put the appeal in later this week, hopefully a place will come up on the waiting list

and littlefish... didn't realise our similar names, this is my ebay name I've had for a few years (pet name for ds!), used it automatically... we've got similar taste! I'm sure I can come up with something else if its a problem

Littlefish Fri 09-Mar-07 16:32:25

Hope the appeal goes well Littlefishy1.

I'd be really grateful if you could think of another name if possible.

humzinger Fri 30-Jan-09 17:07:01

Hi there

Only just found this website and was wondering if anyone - maybe seahorse? had some advice for us. We are going to appeal on 10th February to get our daughter into the local catholic school. She is in reception, the class has 31 (one permitted exception with special needs and full time support) and we have only just moved into the area. This is the only school we wish her to go to as we want her to have a catholic education. It is the only catholic school within a 2 mile radius. So far, our arguments centre around the fact that we believe it was unreasonable for the school to deny her a place because the benefits to her outweigh any disadvantages but we still feel this will be somewhat of a fight. Does anyone have any advice for us? It would be very much appreciated. Thanks

Littlefish Fri 30-Jan-09 18:58:55

Humzinger - I think you might get more replies if you started your own thread to ask for help.

LittlePushka Thu 18-Feb-10 01:28:37

Humzinger - come and talk to me about this...

Tell me about the appeal.

megangrace1 Wed 24-Apr-13 16:38:32

my child has been going to the nursery of our local school for nearly 5 terms..only to loose a place due to simply and purely our postcode...oh and a baby boom!we live in a rural village with no young children..we are older parents and all our friends and families children are either university are working...there are two schools within a 5 minute drive...the one we chose was the one slightly further...her only friends she has are the nursery friends ..her teachers hav said she is so far and above any expectations of a child of her age..by moving schools at this point will have a serious effect on her both socially and mentally...do we have any chance with an appeal....any advice would be grateful..p.s.she is very sensitive to change..there hav been two intakes of children at the school which hav affected her.....constent wetting accidents..behaviour etc..

tiggytape Wed 24-Apr-13 17:09:45

This is a very old thread so much of the advice given is out of date - the latest Appeal Code we are now working under is the Feb 2012 Code.

To answer your question megangrace1 a lot depends on how big the classes are in the school you want
30 is the magic number when it comes to how likely they are to win an appeal:

If there are 30 or more children per class, there are only 3 ways to win which are:
1. an LA mistake costing the child a place (eg somebody recorded your address wrong and you missed out on a place at a school that you should have qualified for)
2. illegal admission criteria (very unlikely - applies to schools trying to sneak in pupils of their choosing rather than using fair and legal criteria like siblings and distance)
3. a decision so unreasonable as to be unable to stand eg in witness protection or child protection cases - the criteria for this is very high and doesn't always apply to a child's medical needs unless evidence of it was submitted with application and unreasonably ignored by the LA - the unreasonable bit in such cases would be ignoring expert evidence.

If there are less than 30 per class, parents can win by explaining all the reasons they want the school and demonstrating why the school will be the best one for meeting their child's needs and interests.
If there are less than 30 per class, you could make a case to show why your daughter needs to attend the school and forward any professional opinions that it would be harmful for her to be denied a place. You can also talk about aspects of the school that meet her other needs or suit her interests (clubs, choirs, activities etc)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now