Schools in the Chichester area ?

(15 Posts)
PATTIEB Wed 14-Aug-13 03:13:13

Can anyone in the know give me an honest opinion about secondary schools in the Chichester area. We may be moving to this area (or surrounding area) but to start late in the first term. We do not attend Church regularly. Appreciate that the schools with the better reputation will be full and probably with a waiting list.

What is the High School for girls really like?

Does anyone have any knowledge of the new Academy at Midhurst which more recently seems to be improving- a lot.

Thanks for any feedback.

chooseanickname Mon 27-Jun-11 10:17:42

You don't have to be a Chritian to get into Bishop Luffa - I know of a Muslim who is going to start this September. All you have to do is find a liberal CoE vicar who will sign the form!

aloiseb Sat 19-Jun-10 00:26:17

A lot of children who go to prep school in Chichester eventually go on at 14 to Portsmouth Grammar School, and it seems to have a very good reputation. You do have to pay, though.

We always went to church anyway so Bishop Luffa was the obvious option for us, and it has worked out really well for my dd so far. She is encouraged to work hard and there is a good atmosphere in the school.

CharleeinChains Mon 05-Jan-09 10:04:38

You do have a choice of mixed schools, there is the SouthBourne Community school, Bognor Riegis Community School and several private options but i would still afvise Westergate.

CharleeinChains Mon 05-Jan-09 10:01:37

I have lived in Chichester all my life and attended 3 of the main secondary schools, i would advise Westergate Community School, it was the last scholl i went to and i can't praise it enough, i was very ill during my last years at school and they really pulled out all the stops to help me keep my school work together and even set out a completley different time table for me so i could get the help i needed to keep up.

here

Nicky9243 Mon 05-Jan-09 09:48:14

I hear that Oakwood School is absolutely fabulous for children aged 2 - 11. I went to see it and I really loved it. The children were happy, the education was progressive and at least a year ahead of state school and the Headmaster was charming and has obviously moved the school forward over the last 2 years. Does anyone know more about the school? I think my children would be very lucky to go there: Oakwood seems like the perfect Prep School in Chichester. Thoughts?

babyboo78 Thu 23-Oct-08 16:44:13

Message withdrawn

petitmaman Wed 01-Oct-08 19:55:10

Midhurst grammer? not great at mo but changing at the moment to an academy and lots of hopes for it....

aig Wed 01-Oct-08 19:45:22

Westbourne House is a prep school so you would have to find somewhere who would then take them at 14 yrs old. (Great Ballard School is another local prep school as is Prebendal in Chichester).

southcoaster Tue 30-Sep-08 22:16:44

Another private option is Westbourne House School.

isgrassgreener Mon 08-Sep-08 10:49:20

Thank you all for your replies, sorry about not coming back sooner, have been away on holiday and have only finally got the DC's all back to school today.
Well it looks like any dreams of moving near to Chichester could be tricky then!
DH does not approve of church schools or single sex (product of a catholic boys school) I agree about not wanting single sex, as we only have boys and want them to mix with girls at school.
I really wanted to look at moving close to Chichester but also was looking for them to go to a local school.
I did get the prospectus for Seaford College, but it's in a bit of a funny place and they start really early in the morning so could be tricky to get to.
Starting to attend church is not an option at all.
Anyway thanks again.

aig Fri 15-Aug-08 17:55:44

Lots of children from Chichester (and Emsworth/ Havant way) go to Bourne Community. It is a mixed sex school in Southbourne and had an outstanding last Ofsted report. I know of a few who go to the comprehensive in Petersfield (TPS - the Petersfield school).
Private - lots go to Portsmouth schools (Portsmouth Grammer - mixed: Portsmouth High School - girls: St John's College - Catholic mixed). There is also Churchers (Petersfield - mixed), Ditcham Park (Petersfield general direction), Bedales (Steep - nose bleedingly expensive) and Lavant House (girls).
Or you could start attending church weekly for the next 2 years and send them to Bishop Luffa - which is a very good school.

idlingabout Tue 12-Aug-08 11:47:09

You have hit on a huge problem in this area. The CofE school selects by the back door having been colonised by all the people who suddenly start going to church to get their kids in. It all goes back to when they stopped selection when a huge discrepancy built up between the results of the girls school and the boys school. As a result parents of boys have done everything they can to avoid the boys school resulting in a skewing of the demographic going to the CofE school. The percentage of children on free school meals at the church school is way below the other schools and the county average. There has been a knock on effect on other schools around Chi which struggle to get enough (for want of a better word) middle class kids. We are now in a vicious circle because the church school gets the best results etc etc.Our village has a mixed sex school and they also exist in Bognor but basically the church school in Chi creams off the more able kids. There is also a Catholic school in Barnham which is where all the ''christians'' around here are hoping to get in to as a second choice.
But if you are in Chi and a non church person you HAVE NO CHOICE other than single sex. Sorry

My brother went to Seaford College for a bit (boys) which was very beautiful and lovely facilities - he was muso/sporting, not academic, so not too sure about that side of it or if they do non-boarding but worth a look!

isgrassgreener Mon 11-Aug-08 09:00:59

Can anyone enlighten me?
Have had a quick look and it seems like state secondary schools are either good but church schools, or single sex and not so good for boys.
Where do the non church going children who want to go to a mixed sex school go to?
What are the private options like?
Any help would be great...thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now