Nits ,do schools have individual policies regarding them and why is there no nit nurse anymore?

(29 Posts)
Beauregard Thu 24-Jan-08 21:26:35

dd1 has had nits several times since september and 2-3 times a week i am wet combing with nit comb and conditioner and i am she is still combing home with a couple a week.

It is getting ridiculous and tbh expensive as i also buy the insectides when there are lots.

TellusMater Thu 24-Jan-08 21:28:05

I'm thinking probably

a) money, and
b) consent

But I don't know.

moljam Thu 24-Jan-08 21:29:30

ds just managed 2 weeks nit free!but tonight-a nit!

Chuffinnora Thu 24-Jan-08 21:30:57

Same here. DD has had nits 3 times since October. I asked her teacher to remind her classmates parents to keep checking but she said she wasn't allowed to. Instead she had to put a note out to the whole school. It would have been more effective if she had been able to say YR1W - YOU HAVE NITS PLEASE CHECK AND TREAT YOUR CHILDREN.
It is a very expensive business and that maybe why some parents turn a blind eye?

Beauregard Thu 24-Jan-08 21:35:05

There is a girl in dd's class that i think is a likely carrier and dd sees them crawling under the girls fringe.The girls mother is quite strange and is rumoured to be on drugs etc .She doesn't seem bothered tbh with regards to stuff like that.
I hope i don't sound too judgemental but i have had dealings with the woman as have other moms at the school.

Beauregard Thu 24-Jan-08 21:36:08

I guess my point is why can't the school approach the mom ?

ladette Thu 24-Jan-08 21:38:34

don't know if there is a policy as such, expect it's cost cutting. We all used to hate "Nitty Nora" but I can't remember nits being as widespread back then as they are now.

TellusMater Thu 24-Jan-08 21:46:46

Perhaps they do.

Chuffinnora Thu 24-Jan-08 21:53:35

DD teacher said it was LEA policy that prevented her from telling the class directly, so presumably that is why you can't tell the child's parents directly

moljam Thu 24-Jan-08 21:54:04

Pelvicfloornomore,when i worked in a preschool we were told that it was because it would be singeling out childhmm and that it could cause abuse as parent could take it out on childhmm
madness imo.ive always told dc teachers id like to know if they spot something ive missed but they say they cant!
ds1 best freind is constatly covered and apparently never treated.

Beauregard Thu 24-Jan-08 22:13:14

hmmsingling out a child they are concerned about ?never mind the poor sods that they are infesting not to mention the inconvienance and cost to the parents.

whoops Thu 24-Jan-08 22:15:42

last time ds got nits I complained to the school no letters had come home
I treated him (shave his head!) then sent him back in
the school sent a letter hom ethat night
the polcy for his school is to keep them off until treated

Tommy Thu 24-Jan-08 22:18:44

just started another nit convo in Health as we have had our first lot sad

Our school sends a note home to everyone saying "A child in your child's class has nits. Please check your own child's hair and take appropriate action" or something like that.

At my friend's school, when parents don't do anything ad the nots are always on the dame child, they sent a note home to everyone saying something like "Failure to treat nits is tantamount to neglect and if we feel this is continuing, we well take the appropriate steps"

There should be a school nurse and this is a health problem so that's who should be dealing with a continuing problem

Countingthegreyhairs Thu 24-Jan-08 22:23:36

Dd's school still has a nurse. Everyone in the class gets a letter saying the children's heads will be checked by her in a couple of days (usually a Monday). Then the school nurse sends a letter confidentially to the parents of children who are found to be infested. This system works really well. I can't imagine how it could cause offence when it's confidential. I'd be grateful to be informed if I'd missed it for some reason.

joggingalong Fri 25-Jan-08 13:22:06

Our School sends the whole class home with a sticker saying there are nits in the class please check your child. It seems to work, we've only had stickers twice since September.

Zog Fri 25-Jan-08 13:24:35

countingthegreyhairs, are you in England? Is it a state school?

Countingthegreyhairs Fri 25-Jan-08 13:29:37

no, mainland Europe.

Very politically incorrect here grin my dd even sang a folk song about "a determined hunchback" at Christmas ....

Nymphadora Fri 25-Jan-08 13:32:10

dd2s school sends a note
dd1s school does nothing
my school tells the parents and/or we treat them (with permission from parent) - SN school

Mercy Fri 25-Jan-08 13:34:15

Ladette, I don't remember nits being so prevalent when I was at school either. The nit nurse only used to come once a term anyway iirc.

donit Fri 25-Jan-08 13:34:49

nursery has sent dd home because she had nits

Countingthegreyhairs Fri 25-Jan-08 13:41:26

(Forgive slight digression) I think a school nurse is really important - I know it's a cost issue - but I think it could be cost saving in some instances and a bit of input in to pastoral care is always money well spent. Particularly when parents are hard-pressed and working all hours.

They can pick up on eyesight and hearing problems, treat children with minor injuries or illnesses, monitor nits and other wee beesties and help /manage treat children who need regular medication such as those with excema, asthma, pick up on eating problems, as well as picking up on possible abuse.

I know it's been suggested before but we should have a Mumsnet campaign to bring back the school nurse!!

Saggybumandnorks Fri 25-Jan-08 13:44:54

I thought all schools had a school nurse attached to them. Not a permanent fixture obviously but one who visits on regular basis. Our school nurse does a drop-in session once a fortnight.

Countingthegreyhairs Fri 25-Jan-08 13:53:19

oh sorry - none in my godchild's school - or in my nephew's

mrz Fri 25-Jan-08 19:34:36

In my area lotion is FREE but some parents still can't be bothered to check and treat. Schools no longer have "nit nurses" because it is considered assault to check a child's hair without parents permission.

juuule Fri 25-Jan-08 19:41:16

I thought all schools had a school nurse, too. Not on site all the time. But visits to do various health checks, talks etc.

mrz Sat 26-Jan-08 11:20:13

All schools do have a school nurse but she isn't allowed to check for nits as it is considered assault.

CarGirl Sat 26-Jan-08 11:34:33

I was talking to a mum whose dd was constantly catching nits from one particular child - the nits were so infested they could be clearly seen by anyone stood near her in the playground. The school made the usual song & dance about not being able to do anything etc until the mum pointed out that it is neglect to not treat your child for an infestation (that is where the saying feeling lousy comes from urgh) and the school was ignoring a neglectful treatment of a child. All of a sudden they were treated and continual lice catching stopped!

I am a school nurse and yes every school has one unless it is private and they haven't paid for one. The reason the 'Nit nurse' role stopped was because it wasn't effective. Checking for head lice is a parent's responsibility although the kids who have headlice constantly tend to have parents who don't do anything about it and keep re-infecting everyone else.

Just remember that it's not just children who have and pass on headlice, adults can have them too.

As a school nurse my day is spent mostly dealing with child protection issues. Those children where headlice is a particular problem will be addressed by the school nurse if the school request it. The problems arise when school staff are reluctant to communicate with those parents.

My suggestion would be that all the parents in the school come together and organise a bug busting night when everyone checks their child's head and wet combs. Chemicals aren't always neccessary. Also most people forget to treat twice and check other family members heads.

<Praying that she doesn't get lynched grin >

Just thinking that maybe i should change my MN name to Nitty Nora but then that would reinforce the stereotype of school nurses - or so my manager says wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now