End of Term Presents for Teachers

(99 Posts)
fms Tue 02-Jul-02 10:05:48

Ds will be finishing his local playgroup next week, and has loved every minute of the last year there.

I'd like to give all the teachers/ helpers a present, but there are 8 of them in all.

Does anyone have any ideas? I don't want to spend more than, say £5 each, but am willing to hear of any ideas that include ds making something.... trouble is, not much time!

Thanks

Fegs Tue 02-Jul-02 10:26:21

As a former junior teacher, I always found receiving gifts a little awkward and never liked the idea of parents spending a lot of money on them. Although it's a little dull, wine, chocolates and flowers usually went down well.
One of the best presents I ever had was a calendar made by a child - he'd made the picture on the top of a sheet of A4 card and a calendar had been stuck on the bottom. I was touched by the effort he'd put in. I have also been delighted to receive simple folders decorated by children in my charge.
Any use?

PamT Tue 02-Jul-02 10:26:58

How about buying some cheap photo frames and decorating them? You can usually slip the glass out to paint the frame, then stick dried flowers or sequins on. Inside the frame you could put a little note saying thank you with DS's signature. If you didn't go over the top with the stick ons they could look quite tasteful. Ikea do some really good plain frames - about £1 for 3 small ones, they also have some lovely postcards to put in the frames.

Alternatively you could buy some plain gift boxes (Ikea do these again), decorate the boxes and fill with sweets. I think the personal touch means so much more to the teachers than the size of the bouquet or box of chocolates. My SIL is a Non Teaching Assistant in a primary school and she came home with enough chocolate and flowers to start a market stall as well as pens, jewellery etc from the children in her class at christmas.

Another thought - decorate a candle. Artificial flowers in a little ring around the base and perhaps a ribbon tied around the candle or sequins stuck on. You can also buy some really nice, cheap candle & holder or bowl sets these days.

oxocube Tue 02-Jul-02 10:37:25

My kids recently painted a portrait of their teachers and I framed each in a simple and cheap clip frame. The teachers loved them and hung them in the hall at school. Only problem is that 8 teachers is a lot of work for your little one!

Fegs Tue 02-Jul-02 10:39:00

Thinking about it, the other 'gifts' I really appreciated were cards, decorated by the child with a message from them and/or their parent(s) inside. As I didn't have a lot of room at home, I have been able to keep these cards and messages for years.

susanmt Tue 02-Jul-02 16:59:43

As a teacher, I'd say dont bother with presents. A card, made by the child, is the best thing.

threeangels Tue 02-Jul-02 20:31:13

How about buying a plain white coffee mug for each and special paint (that wont run) to decorate. You can be creative with them.

threeangels Tue 02-Jul-02 20:33:26

Another thing might be making some type of magnet for the frig. Maybe a tiny picture frame magnet.

winnie1 Thu 04-Jul-02 15:14:03

Like others here i think a handmade card is the best thing but I would suggest that a book token (of any amount however small) would be a very good idea to give as a gift to show ones appreciation. I cannot imagine that any teacher would not have a use for it. Several gifts of tokens would be much more useful than ten boxes of chocolates and twelve bottles of bubble bath...

SueW Fri 05-Jul-02 14:46:54

Bottles of wine went down well this morning (not literally went down, IYSWIM )

DD had made a card for each of her teachers and she'd done an Art Attack PVA and toilet tissue job on a couple of dairylea cheese tubs, inside which she tucked a mini pack of Haribo sweets for each of them

bayleaf Fri 05-Jul-02 20:26:13

Yeah - as a teacher I'd say go for the wine everytime!!!!!

mint Mon 08-Jul-02 23:17:23

I bought some plain wood frames from ikea, my three old painted on the frames with glue and then sprinkled colourful sprinkles and. it only took an hour to make three frames for her teachers. Goodluck!

Mummysurfer Wed 02-Jul-03 17:36:04

Just thought I'd bring this up again.

Like the idea of 10 chickens from World Vision that I saw on another thread.

£17 for 10 chickens but it would be a collective gift from my ds & his 2 pals.

How do you think it would go down????

lilibet Wed 02-Jul-03 18:00:36

Sorry but I don't do it. Always feel guilty when I see other mums laden down with flowers/chocolates but they are paid an awful lot more than me with loads of hols and no worries about what to do with their children. I'm not saying its an easy job, it's not, but loads of jobs aren't easy and other people don't get gifts every year. In fact where I work we have a very strict no gifts policy - not that we get many, but everything has to be donated to a raffle which takes place once a year for children in need.

Mummysurfer Wed 02-Jul-03 18:21:19

We really WANT to do it. Not because it's expected or because everyone else does, but they are a really good team. They not only do a good job but do so with GREAT enthusiasm which is vitally important when working with 3/4 year olds. I know it's what they should be doing but not all early years practioners do it enthusiastically. They never seem to have an off day. They must do, we all do, but you it is never obvious to the parents and children. 10/10

cazzybabs Wed 02-Jul-03 18:25:23

WIne everytime!!!! (we finish on fri and I have been dropping hints to my children ;0) or what about just a box of chocolate/biscuits/fruit to go in the staffroom rather than individual presents.

mrschips Wed 02-Jul-03 18:26:04

Can I tell you all a secret?

Teachers have favourites! Yes and I am sorry to say I had some and they were the ones who looked smart did their homework tried hard were polite and always brought in notes/sponsor money on time...

They may have also chosen to bring me presents which I loved. However it didnt matter if they didnt. So, in conclusion , what you do all year long is vastly more importanat than an easily bought present at the end of the year.

BTW Home made presents may be really nice - But think - HOW MANY do you think they get of theses?!

I would go for choccies every time.

expatkat Wed 02-Jul-03 18:26:32

This may be a terrible idea, but I've bought for ds's (young) teachers a lip gloss each, in a neutral colour. I try to go for (1) things I'd like to have myself and (2) things which can be used, as opposed to things which are purely decorative and may not be to their taste. One thing that went over extremely well one year were some special olive oils I picked up during a trip to Spain for £5 each.

How lucky to have some teachers/former teachers on mumsnet to give us the lowdown .

codswallop Wed 02-Jul-03 18:28:49

I give them a tin of Quality Street towards the end of term to keep their sugar levels up.. I am a governor too and I have a vested interest in them being happy

miggy Wed 02-Jul-03 18:29:43

last term I gave kids teachers a DIY relaxation kit- bought cheap but nice mug,put a few quality street in the bottom, then a teabag, then a cellophane wrapped bath bomb, printed a label to tie on "run bath and add bomb,make cup of tea in mug, eat chocs and drink tea in bath". Cost about £3.50. kids can decorate labels
Otherwise what about a few big boxes chocs- they probably share them all out between themselves.
Sometimes all mums club together,put in £5 each and raise a decent amount for voucher eg beauty salon/theatre/next etc

codswallop Wed 02-Jul-03 18:31:00

Like the Mug thing...
Mugs are generally good because in the Public sector Mugs are a PRIZED ITEM..!

Slinky Wed 02-Jul-03 18:43:02

Thank you for this thread!

I have been pondering this week for end of term presents - but this year is more special because DS1 Reception teacher is emigrating (she also taught DD1) and we're all very fond of her. Her wonderful classroom assistant is retiring.

And...just found out that DD1s Year 2 teacher this year is taking early retirement, which is a shame as I am very impressed with her and was hoping DS1 would have her when he got to Year 2.

Anyway, keep the suggestions coming

Mummysurfer Wed 02-Jul-03 18:54:02

miggy, love the mug idea, could perhaps be adapted with mini bottle of wine, mini box of Pringles, bath bomb and little candle.

Mummysurfer Wed 02-Jul-03 18:56:18

What do you reckon to the chickens idea .. the silence is telling me you're not keen!
Just thought it may be appropriate as Nursery does a lot of charity fund raising and is linked to a Bosnian nursery.

codswallop Wed 02-Jul-03 19:27:33

In that case - yes...otherwise might you always be remembered as the chickens MUm?

janh Wed 02-Jul-03 19:44:26

I think the chickens idea is great, Mummysurfer - no worries about being "the chickens mum" - they'll last much longer than a bottle of wine or box of chocs and it's always better to be memorable than not IMHO!

Mummysurfer Wed 02-Jul-03 19:45:58

IMHO??????

I'm new to this!

Tinker Wed 02-Jul-03 19:47:06

In my humble opinion

Claireandrich Wed 02-Jul-03 19:52:26

We got DD's nursery 'teachers' a Lush bath bomb and bath bar - a special relaxation one - and wrapped it in a nice box. They really liked them.

I have had some lovely pressies at my last school. This school not so many, not suprising really though as I do teach at secondary school. I have some lovely bath things, wine, chocolates, etc. When I got married my form got together and bought me a book about Kenya (where I was getting married), wrapped up with confetti inside - and a fantastic bunch of flowers, very sweet of them. I had a beautiful bouquet when I left from some pupils too. I always appreciaite any gifts given and I am always taken back by receiving any at all!

Frenchgirl Wed 02-Jul-03 19:56:37

I'm getting dd's nursery teacher a book about Chile where he's going on Hols with his wife this summer! But as his birthday is on the same day as my dd (next week), I'll get all the kids going to her party on saturday to do a little drawing and write their name on individual pieces of paper, I'll take a picture of them and put it all together to make a nice birthday card from all the kiddies (only about 12 of them). It will be special as he's going back to France (brilliant teacher!!!)

WideWebWitch Wed 02-Jul-03 19:56:43

I'm glad someone brought this up again since it hadn't occurred to me at all for the end of this term, despite the fact that ds will be moving classes. His teacher is a gem and I'd really like to thank her so I'm going to go for a card and a bottle of wine again.

codswallop Wed 02-Jul-03 20:07:06

chickens Mums should ve had a after it..

Ghosty Wed 02-Jul-03 21:03:46

When I was teaching I loved getting pressies at the end of term ... although I didn't feel that I particularly deserved them or that the children/parents were obliged to do it.
Here are some of my thoughts about what goes down well:
a) Obviously wine is a favourite ...
b) Chocolates are nice but if you get 10 boxes of quality street and you are a life time member of Weight Watchers then it is a bit hard to eat them all although DH loved it when I brought the chocs home
c) Smellies and bubble bath stuff was always a nice touch too ... I never had to buy things like that as I always had a good supply from kids.
D) THE BEST PRESENT IMHO is always something home made or something that the child has had a hand in choosing. Home made biscuits in a box decorated by the chile ... picture frame decorated by the child ... I once got a vase that was a plastic coke bottle cut in half and painted with shiney sweet wrappers stuck to it with glue - the child had made it with such care that I was chuffed to bits
My mum used to make things like Lemon Curd and put it in nice jars with a doily on top for our teachers ...
If the mum has gone out, bought something, wrapped it and given it to the child to give to the teacher and not told the child what it is then it is obvious that the child doesn't know and they are usually a bit embarrassed so INVOLVE your child.

Lilibet ... I understand your point about teachers getting long hols etc and so why should you give them presents etc ... it really isn't necessary and teachers don't expect it but now that I am a Mum I will give my DS' teachers presents (homemade ones) a) as an appreciation of what they do for my child ... they do work extremely hard and often it is a thankless job ... and b) the children really enjoy that bit of the end of term ....

codswallop Wed 02-Jul-03 21:04:41

I would have given you one ghosty...

kmg1 Wed 02-Jul-03 22:39:12

One of the mums from ds1's class is organising a collection for the teacher, which I think is great. (Especially as I am not organising it). Everyone can chip in whatever is appropriate for them.

miggy Wed 02-Jul-03 23:20:09

I find the replies from teachers that value things children have made really lovely. I always remember reading something by a nanny that said the worst present was something made by the child or a photo of the child and assumed teachers would think the same. lovely to hear otherwise! Better get making now

emsiewill Wed 02-Jul-03 23:25:34

Last year we decorated photo frames with a sort of 3D paint thing and put a Thank You card in the frame. This year, I was thinking of buying some cheap glass vases (Ikea do one for £1), and painting them. We do it because we are genuinely grateful to the teachers concerned.

Claireandrich Thu 03-Jul-03 10:34:15

Just like to add that I don't ever expect oor feel I deserve presents, but I do obviously apprecitae any thought that I might have done something right for a child. The best thing is often just a heart felt 'thanks' from students when they get their exam results!

Just a point though, we aren't the only profession to get pressies from 'clients'. DH gets alsorts. He's a solicitor. Last week he was given £50 worth of Odd Bins vounchers - very nice!!! And he is forever being taken out on golf trips, to the cricket or rugby, for lunch - from clients or people he passes work on to.

judetheobscure Fri 04-Jul-03 00:05:15

As an ex-teacher too, I agree with susanmt (home-made card, no pressie)

SueW Fri 04-Jul-03 09:29:30

Just wondering how many teachers here give the children presents?

DD always comes home at the end of term with a small gift from her teacher (the whole class, not just DD, BTW!)

hmb Fri 04-Jul-03 09:36:50

Suew, my two do, and have done in all the childcare 'facilities' they have used. I also give small sweeties to the kids I teach at the end of term...the funsize bars.

kayleigh Fri 04-Jul-03 16:35:45

myself and a couple of other mums have got together and bought a beauty voucher from local salon for the teachers in our kids class. thought it would make a change from hand cream and bubble bath

eidsvold Fri 04-Jul-03 19:59:28

SLINKY perhaps for the teacher emigrating - something from the area where she lives/works that she can keep and look at fondly when she feels a little homesick or a nice address book for those new friends she will make and the old ones left behind.

Being a secondary teacher - I rarely get presents unless I am leaving or from seniors who are leaving. I have had some very nice presents where three or four senior students got together and brought me nice things which always gets me all choked up.

But I love homemade things that people/students have put a lot of thought into. Had one class take photos, put them in the book and write small messages when I left to come and live in the UK. That meant a lot to me.

Love notepads and nice pens - found a great shop near me that does them. Very cheap but figured when things get tough ( when I go back to work) I can look at that notepad and realise it is not that bad!!

beetroot Wed 16-Jul-03 19:33:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Claireandrich Wed 16-Jul-03 19:52:38

Sue - I did at my last school to any classes I had on the last day before Christmas and the summer. I only took a box of chocolates or sweets in but then I am secondary and it would be a heck of a lot to but for otherwise. I also treated my form in the same way too at end of term and Christmas.

Not done it at this school and no plans for this year either. The majority of the classes have caused nothing but problems - school going through nightmare time, failed OFSTED for appalling pupil behaviour and no parental support, and lack of management. So, I just don't feel like treating them this year, sad I know

cid Thu 17-Jul-03 11:58:12

I dont always send something but if the dd's have had a really good enjoyable year because of a teach I send them a homemade chocolate cake - I bet they havent had time to bake at the end of term, and if they have afamily it always is appreciated. Thanks for reminding me to buy the chocolate

Claireandrich Thu 17-Jul-03 20:06:42

cid - I think that is a lovely, fab idea. I know I would definitely appreciate it!!!

MBB Tue 22-Jul-03 14:06:13

I find all this really interesting, as until a couple of days ago I didn't know it was 'the done thing' to take presents for the teacher (DS not at school or nursery yet). However, my best friend teachs 6 year olds and was proudly showing off her collection of pressies when I called round to visit. She had 3 bottles of wine, 7 boxes of chocs, 4 shop-bought bouquets, mugs, desk pads, various 'best teacher' teddies/cuddly dogs etc, a FCUK makeup bag and a silver bangle - and these are just the bits I can remember. I think this is absolutley ludicrous. At the beginning of the last school year she was complaining that she would have top up with extra pencils, felt tips and craft supplies as the shcool can not afford them - is it just me that thinks a 6 year old arriving at the school gates clutching a bottle of wine is wrong? If parents want to show their appreciation, why not buy something that will help - books/special glittery pens etc. (Nice things that are not essential but which help makes things more fun). I think it is wrong for the head teacher to allow this to continue and indeed encourage it. The worst thing is that my friend and her colleague looked a little shocked when i asked if they would be sending a thankyou note to the parents involved. This, it seems, is not deemed necessary from an adult, although my son and his friends seem to manage it ok when they recieve presents.

WideWebWitch Tue 22-Jul-03 14:15:11

MBB, my nearly 6 yo turned up on the last day of term clutching a wrapped bottle of wine for his teacher and I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I like her, she does a fantastic job and I wanted to say thank you. If I want to help the school in terms of providing pens, equipment etc I'll join the PTA or Friends of the School and give my time and energy that way. I don't see anything wrong with giving a teacher, or indeed anyone who provides a great service (I sent the midwives a case of wine when ds was born too) a present and a card to show appreciation. The teacher said thank you to me and to ds at the time so no other cards/thanks were necessary IMO. If you don't agree you don't have to do it though, not everyone does.

bayleaf Tue 22-Jul-03 20:39:10

MBB - I don't understand your problem with the presents at all.
Admittedly I'm a teacher - (but secondary so far less presents!!)but as I do a job with not great pay/conditions and I work WAY over and above what could ever be expected of me it's really nice to be appreciated in a 'physical' way.
OK, yes a note would make me feel just as good but to be honest the students who want to give presents wouldn't themselves understand that a note could give the same satisfaction to an adult as a present could - and for the 11 year olds in my tutor group who give me hideous ornaments each Xmas or the 16 year old who have done well in their GCSE due to extra help - it is because they like me and WANT to give me something, THEY want the feeling of being able to ''make me happy'' ( which to them means a present not a note) and the feeling of being 'special' when I write the thank you notes ( which I always do).
I don't think parents should EVER feel obliged to buy presetns - but if the CHILDREN want to ( ok, so the parents pay!)then I really don't see the problem.

codswallop Tue 22-Jul-03 20:43:00

My sons teacher is getting a bottle of whisky. I really rate him and feel he is fantastic. He always write a thankyou note.

Slinky Tue 22-Jul-03 22:12:02

You may remember from earlier on in the thread that I was hunting for special pressies for our teachers this year due to emigrating/retiring.

This is what we got in the end:

DS1 teacher/DD1 ex teacher (emigrating) - a Mini Rough Guide to Bangkok and a beautiful "crushed flower" covered book with poems/quotations paying tribute to teachers.

DS1 classroom assistant/DD1s ex CA (retiring) - a mini "pampering" set and pressed flower covered "mini-notelet set".

DD1s teacher (also retiring) - same as CA above.

Both children made beautiful handmade cards complete with tissue paper/glitter etc and each have written their own personal message.

Also enclosed a little card each from DH and myself thanking them for everything.

Already feeling a bit tearful (giving presents tomorrow as last day) as the 3 of them have been absolutely fantastic and they will be sorely missed

Tinker Tue 22-Jul-03 23:25:56

Ooops, have just bought my wine today to give my daughter's teacher. Can't see the problem at all. And why not children bringing wine into school? She (my daughter) knows I drink wine, she knows it is something grown-ups like, she knows the teacher is not going to open it in the class and ply the kids with it. If someone wants to show appreciation for something I've done, I'd like something for me, something frivolous, enjoyable etc not something that is necessarily useful. A glittery pen to a teacher is like a mop to a mother.

kmg1 Wed 23-Jul-03 06:20:46

MBB - I just don't get your point of view. I've been a SAHM, and ds1 didn't 'get on' with his nursery teacher, I didn't get her a present. But for the past year he has been under the care and influence of one person for a huge amount of time every day. That person has done a fantastic job, we are thrilled to bits with the school, and especially with his teacher. Of course we are going to buy a present for him, not just a note. I wasn't around for the end of term, so I made a point of going up to him and thanking him personally when I last saw him, which he certainly appreciated, but I'm sure he appreciated the wine too...

bells2 Wed 23-Jul-03 07:56:36

Surely its perfectly normal to show your appreciation of someone whom you think has done a good job. Doesn't matter if its your teacher, vicar, hairdresser or bin man for that matter.

Batters Wed 23-Jul-03 09:23:04

I think this is totally up to the individuals concerned. When my dd left nursery I gave 3 of the staff there bottles of champagne because of the fantastic way that they treated my dd and cared for her. At the end of her first term at school I did not give the teacher anything.

Dahlia Wed 23-Jul-03 12:34:58

My dh was a teacher for 20 years and never failed to appreciate the many presents he received, and he always thanked each child. I give dd1's teacher and classroom assistant a pressie each xmas and end of year - I am extremely appreciative of what they do for her, and I know from dh what a hard job it is. And we have always had written thank you notes for each present.

lisalisa Wed 23-Jul-03 13:38:07

Message withdrawn

codswallop Wed 23-Jul-03 13:41:40

creepy

Maudy Wed 23-Jul-03 14:13:51

My DS made a lovely card for his teacher and put a sweet message inside which he thought about very hard. We also took in a bottle of wine. I feel that the card was from him as he adored his teacher and will miss her very much and the wine was from me and my DP as we wanted to thank her for the fantastic job she has done throughout the year.

I wanted to give something for her to enjoy during the holidays that doesn't to relate to school at all. I know wine is a bit unimaginative but I have to agree with Tinker that something for the school, glittery pens etc would probably just make her heart sink.

I love the idea of home made relaxation kits and might pinch that for next year. Much more personal and yet still has the desired effect.
I also like the clubbing together idea and will think about trying to arrange something with the other mums for Christmas. Thanks for the tips...

lisalisa Wed 23-Jul-03 14:15:57

Message withdrawn

cos Wed 23-Jul-03 14:29:33

Saw a Dad arriving at school yesterday with a box of homegrown veg and flowers for teacher- what a sweet thought. we sent wine and chocs to my DS's teacher, just a small token of our appreciation for a fantastic first year in school

crossma Wed 23-Jul-03 14:43:32

just to throw a spanner in the works, I would love to give a present to our bin men (ok refuse collectors) as I think they do a brilliant job ALL the time, also the nice lady in Woolies and there is one is Tescos and then there is the nice gent who helped my dd on a cold winters day when dd fell down and then there is the bloke at the garage who is always so friendly and helpful even though he looks snowed under and the ELC manageress who is always soooo helpful and friendly, then there is the library assistant who is so nice to the children and spares time to let them stamp their books and the window cleaner who is much better than my neighbours cleaner oh and yes if after all that there was a teacher last year and a nursery staff the year before that, then again I didn't do too badly when I was working, I always took pride in doing my job and trying to be helpful to people especially the horrid ones as I saw them as a challenge and thought what a horrible day they must be having to be so horrid. The list goes on but if I was rich I don't think I would be rich for long, why can't people just stick to homemade cards? Don't expect anyone is still reading this so I might as well stop here! After all the thought is there, isn't it? Plus the effort etc etc etc

bells2 Wed 23-Jul-03 14:56:00

err crossma, if you are referring to my message I mentioned "showing your appreciation" which is not necessarily the same as buying a present. I show my appreciation to friendly and helpful shop assistants by smiling and thanking them warmly which seems to be an appropriate way of doing so. For my son's teacher at his Nursery School who has done a superb job over an extended period of time, a personalised present was a more appropriate recognition of her effort.

crossma Wed 23-Jul-03 14:58:13

I wasn't being personal just mean that there are so many people I would like to give a small token of my appreciation to and can't other than by saying thank you etc. I am being lazy and checking out mumsnet for longer than I should when I should be doing the housework and I think this shows it!

hmb Wed 23-Jul-03 15:03:10

Crossma, I gave may children's teachers a present at the end of term, but then I also gave the bin men a six pack of larger each at christmas, and I give a tip to the window cleaner and the postie. My cleaner gets a special gift because she is amazing. You are right, it is the thought that counts but I *like* to give people a small gift. So shoot me

When I worked in industry I often got a bonus/gift at christmas, why shouldn't eveyone else? It made me feel good, and I expect it makes everyone else as well.

crossma Wed 23-Jul-03 15:12:03

consider yourself shot hmb - truely only JOKING. Just wish I was rich!!!!!!!!

steppemum Wed 23-Jul-03 15:28:43

As a teacher I used to love getting end of year pressies, but i never expected them, and the first year i was totally taken by surprise. The kids used to drop subtle hints asking what i liked, and I always replied chocoloates, because they were easy, and cheap for mums to get, and they were never wasted. In fact on the last day of term, I used to share lots of the boxes with the kids.
I just love some of the ideas here about child made pressies, and I would have been very touched to receive one. My all time favourite pressie was a pair of socks from a lovely mum whose son had been lovely but very hard work all year. The attached note said

Thank you for learning our Tony.

Lindy Wed 23-Jul-03 15:29:39

lisalisa - I don't think you're being creepy at all (well, if you are so am I!!).We were on a playgroup picnic yesterday and I offered the leader one of the biscuits DS & I had made the day before - she absolutely raved about it & asked for a second one so I have decided to make her a batch for the last day of term.

I think homemade gifts & cards are far more appropriate than shop bought ones, which I personally wouldn't give to teachers - I never forget when I worked in industry we were expressly forbidden to accept gifts, where it would have been hugely offensive to refuse we had to hand them in for charity. I know teaching is different but I am not entirely happy with the idea. (Why do I therefore give to the milkman and paper boy then........ confusing!).

lisalisa Wed 23-Jul-03 15:42:19

Message withdrawn

marthamoo Wed 23-Jul-03 16:03:38

Ds1 and I made a present for his Year One teacher this year (she has been lovely, he has thrived under her care, and I have a great deal of respect for her - she deserved a present!)

The last school trip was to the seaside where we collected shells - so ds1 and I painted some of the shells (bought a pack of 12 tiny pots of pearlised/metallic acrylic paints for £3.60 in a local art shop) and stuck them on a picture frame (reduced to clear as it had chips out of it - but we stuck shells over the damaged bits). Then ds1 copied out a list of things that teachers do.."coat finder, Government Directive reader, Curriculum Implementer, nose wiper, surrogate parent" (found that in a T-shirt catalogue) and we put that in the frame along with a picture of her making a sandcastle on the beach (as taken by me on the day).

It was immensely tacky and "Blackpool"-y...but she was thrilled to bits (and we enjoyed making it). I also wrote her a card, saying how much I felt ds1 had come on through the year and thanking her.

Had I not liked his teacher as much as I do, I would probably *just* have got her chocolates. Oh, and at Christmas I always get a Christmas tree decoration for his teacher - really just a token gesture.

I don't see any problem with getting gifts for anyone you feel has gone *above and beyond* the call of duty. I don't believe it's an obligation (plenty of the children in ds1's class hadn't brought in anything - or maybe just a card or a picture they had drawn) and I don't believe they are thought any less of for that.

doormat Wed 23-Jul-03 16:04:46

crossma like hmb I give a few bottles of lager to the postie and bin men at xmas time.Dont have to be rich, I just take dh's out of the fridge.
Boxes of chocs or bunches of flowers to the teachers at school.

doormat Wed 23-Jul-03 16:11:14

crossma like hmb I give a few bottles of lager to the postie and bin men at xmas time.Dont have to be rich, I just take dh's out of the fridge.
Boxes of chocs or bunches of flowers to the teachers at school.

crossma Thu 24-Jul-03 10:50:32

depends on your version of "rich" everything adds up! Perhaps it's time to change my name to "skintma". Anyway, I am not saying don't give to teachers, just that there are many I would like to give to but.....

crossma Thu 24-Jul-03 10:57:42

plus I like "giving" sometimes find I have to stop myself as I often see so many things that I think would bring a smile to a friends/relatives face but can't buy them otherwise I would be spending a fortune anyway enough of this. Plus want to know something I did buy something for ds to give to teacher as ds wanted to and it was his choice. Plus ds made something too totally off his own back without me knowing until he had finished it which was so lovely... so there

CAM Thu 24-Jul-03 20:40:10

lisalisa, nothing wrong with being creepy to teacher, anyway she won't be your child's teacher next year so it doesn't matter if you are creeping.

codswallop Thu 24-Jul-03 20:45:00

sorry if i sounded harsh - I have just re read it - I just thought if thats what you all agreed then it defeats the purpose...
I feel really sorry if I upset you. I think I may have had a screaming baby in my other arm hence the brevity!

Davros Fri 25-Jul-03 00:15:32

I have made t-shirts for my autistic son's home therapists before. You can buy special computer paper, print off photo of adorable child and iron on to M&S or similar cheapo 3 in a pack "vests". The paper is a bit expensive but you don't have to use a full A4 sheet per shirt and get a few out of each sheet. I used to put a message but you have to remember to print in backwards. I got really good at it, its a bit labour intensive, but then I lost the touch and ruined a few t-shirts and gave up. I might try again sometime but too late for end of this term (ours is tomorrow). ANother thing I've spotted which I think my son's teachers would love is Feng Shui cats from the British Museum, £5.50 each, a different colour for a different effect (lucky in love, academic success etc). I haven't checked out what they're like in real life yet and not necessarily easy for everyone to get hold of. THey're available on mail order but I'll pop in there to check them out.

lisalisa Mon 28-Jul-03 10:27:50

Message withdrawn

WideWebWitch Mon 28-Jul-03 18:29:04

Oh that's so sweet lisalisa, glad you did it!

Lindy Tue 29-Jul-03 17:43:52

Well done Lisalisa - must admit that, as usual, I 'wasted' so much time on Mumsnet I never got round to making my biscuits for the playgroup leader!

emsiewill Wed 30-Jul-03 18:07:23

Did anyone see Simon Hoggart's column in the Guardian on Saturday? it's here . Well, I felt I had to let him know that not all of us see end of term present giving as some sort of competition - so I emailed him, telling him about the homemade presents we made for dds' teachers. I also put in a link to this thread, just to show him what's been discussed. And guess what? He replied. Within 15 minutes! I know he's just another person, but I'm a big fan of his column and of "The News Quiz" on R4, so to me it's quite exciting to get an email from him. . And I normally never bother to do this kind of thing - maybe I'll do it more often in the future.

emsiewill Wed 30-Jul-03 18:08:04

How sad do I sound?

Mummysurfer Wed 30-Jul-03 18:11:53

Let me know if our chickens get a mention!!
they went down really well. We're very glad we did it.

ScummyMummy Wed 30-Jul-03 18:49:17

Oh I love Simon H too, Emsiewill. I think it's fab that you emailed him and that he replied. Must think of something to email him about myself!

codswallop Wed 30-Jul-03 18:56:31

He could be our mascot!

janh Wed 30-Jul-03 19:28:59

I think he's great too, and am v impressed that you managed to email him because one of his columns once made me want to email him and I just couldn't make up the right address, everything I tried bounced back. (Why isn't there a link at the bottom of his column???)

Bless him for replying. What a sweetie!

emsiewill Wed 30-Jul-03 20:01:25

janh, I just used the address simon.hoggart@guardian.co.uk - although it took a bit of looking around the site to find a clue as to what the address should be. Can't even remember where I found it now.

lisalisa Thu 31-Jul-03 13:21:02

Message withdrawn

mogway Thu 15-Jul-10 11:11:05

I'm a teacher too and I think presents are quite nice (although we do get a lot of chocolates) because we all work above and beyond our remit most days in order for the children in our care to have the best time they can when with us and a thank you card of gift shows that we are appreciated.

That said, i'm a bit stuck on what to get the staff at my nursery. I'm going to do mugs for my children's key workers but all the staff work with all the children. I was thinking of something they could do with the kids next term - maybe some kind of growing thing/project but i'm a bit short of ideas.

my daughter wants to by her keyworker a pet!!

njc45 Mon 04-Jul-11 11:03:36

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

happygardening Mon 04-Jul-11 11:51:05

As a nurse we frequently receive gifts, frankly cakes and sweets are always the most apreciated, easy to share with everyone and the other thing which we like is a basket of exotic fresh fruit - this can be demolished at breaktime!

farkly Wed 06-Jul-11 18:57:29

Didn't notice this thread so reposting my message here blush

DD is finishing pre-school this month & am stressing about what to get the staff. She has 1 key worker and there are another 5 members of staff all of which are lovely. I have been so happy with the nursery but am not into this present giving competitiveness and don't want to buy yet another box of chocs. So, I thought maybe DD could make them a nice card and then we'd get a jam jar each and fill them with nice (wild?) flowers picked by DD, tie the top with some wire so they can hang them up, and maybe/maybe not (?) write their name on each of them.

Is this a crap idea?
And how can I give it to them without making a big fuss, I find it all a bit embarrassing.

the other idea I had was for DD to decorate her keyworker a mug, but then what about the rest of the staff..

Teachermumof3 Sat 09-Jul-11 19:16:23

Definitely wine! I also love letters (rather than cards-which end up being bulky if you want to keep them) that the parents/children have written-I have some of these from 14 years ago; they still make me go a bit misty-eyed when I read them! I really hate 'best teacher' magnets and teddy bears though.

If you want to buy for nursery workers but don't want to buy 8 gifts, then it might be a good idea to buy them a joint big tin of chocolates/biscuits but give it to them now, so they can share them (whilst thinking of the lovely parent who was so thoughful!) over the last two weeks, rather than trying to divide up presents on the last day!

chillistars Sun 10-Jul-11 15:09:33

We make a card and then DS writes something inside about what he has particularly enjoyed about being taught by that teacher/TA. We add in a book token if we feel inclined.

chillistars Sun 10-Jul-11 15:10:48

oh, and during the year we will occasionally take in biscuits/a small box of chocolates for her and TAs to share as a little thank you - say after a school trip or when they have done something above and beyond the call of duty or " just because"

ayshigirl Tue 04-Dec-12 21:17:37

when I was a primary teacher I grew totally fed up of choccies!! A small plant/handmade card or pic is fine imo.

jojane Tue 04-Dec-12 21:27:16

I have bought pink pens from wilkinsons with hearts and flowers on )£1.10 for 6) and will give one to each teacher and TA in my two kids classes along with a homemade christmas pudding cakepop.

StuffezLaBouche Tue 04-Dec-12 21:34:30

Obviously it's lovely to receive little gifts from children as a token of appreciation - from a heartfelt note in a card to wine/chocs, whatever.

I do remember one incident that made me feel so sad. On the last day of my previous school in a shit area, many of the kids brought gifts in, but one little girl looked increasingly distraught at the sight of the pile of gifts and later in the morning ashamedly presented me with the rubber from the top of her pencil. I swear to God I nearly howled. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now