Fancy Dress Ideas for World Book Day

(76 Posts)
Theresa Sun 11-Feb-07 20:26:42

Each year my daughters school encourage all pupils & teachers to dress as a character from a book for World Book Day and it is such a hassle! She's in year three and when she was younger it was easy they all just went in a Disney Princess dress. Now she;s older, wants to look cool, thinks she;s a bit old for fancy dress but still wants to take part as otherwise she'll stand out (!). Any ideas? I can be slightly creative, but not very, but its the ideas that i lack!
Thanks

Just thought about opening a similar thread but I'm going to hijack yours (sorry).

Suggestions for a 7-year-old boy (also yr 3) anyone? I Unfortunately ds is not into Harry Potter (yet?), his current favourites are Horrid Henry/Perfect Peter and "The boy who could fly" but I'm not sure how to make him look like any of these.

Also I don't really fancy ordering expensive stuff, it should be something rather simple, however, noticeable, lol.

martianbishop: great idea, but do the other children (or even teachers)really 'get' that?

Califrau Fri 16-Feb-07 00:06:51

7yr old boy
peter pan/captain hook/smee/a lost boy
any of the roald dahl boys - james (giant each) charlie, willie wonka, augustus gloop, the BFG,
knight - plenty of stories with knights oin - chose the costume then the charatcer
king - as above

Califrau Fri 16-Feb-07 00:16:30

I am despereat for my ds1 to be ready for The Boy WHo Grew Antlers - not sure if it's even in print now. I would make him velvety antlers for the occasion! (but I am like that!)

makealist Fri 16-Feb-07 01:44:05

Ds2 went as Dennis the menace last year and won a prize.

We have been: Bob the builder(in reception) a thunderbird
Harry Potter
A gingerbread boy

This year we didnt do book characters we did a Space theme so he was a spaceman. I wanted him to go as Mr Tickle or Mr Bump!

Ideas could include: one of the boys from Narnia, anything from Roald Dahl,
Chip or kipper from the Biff and Chip books very easy just make a shiny magic key to take too! (this works for girls too)

MrsDux Fri 23-Feb-07 11:30:20

Should I jump on this thread or add another?

My DS is 7 months and his nursery are doing the same. The only books he has are nursery rhymes or peekaboo so I have no idea what would work. Something that is obvious (as he won't be able to tell anyone who he is) and that he won't mind wearing.

Any ideas?

Oh God, MrsDux, fancy dress for a 7 mo old?
I should just make him some ears to be a rabbit or a bear or whatever.... (and maybe give him a bowl labelled 'porridge' and he'll be one of the 3 bears?).

mistypeaks Fri 23-Feb-07 11:38:31

Put him in his peejays + a little nightcap (and I don't mean brandy). Wee willy winkie!

sydenhamhiller Fri 01-Mar-13 14:23:42

Can I hi-jack? In same boat: am not crafty at all, so can't run anything up on a sewing machine. DD age 7 will be easy-ish, but DS (age 9) is more difficult as he HATES dressing up, but also wants to take part...I almost had him convinced to be Charlie and the chocolate factory from
Idea above, but he thinks it might be a bit baby-ish (he's into Alex Rider, Young James Bond).
Can anyone creative give me ideas for those characters...would be so grateful! DC 3 still does not sleep, too sleep deprived to think of anything...

Eastpoint Sat 02-Mar-13 07:09:02

The Little Princess by Frances Hodgson? A 'traditional' party dress.
The Iron Man by Ted Hughes - just dress in normal boy's clothes as the boy.
Matilda by Roald Dahl, normal clothes

Thank heavens our school only asked KS1 to dress up, once in KS2 the children only had to take in a prop & the book it was from.

hardboiled Sat 02-Mar-13 23:58:56

Jim Hawkins (Treasure Island)
James Bond
Dracula
Franskenstein
Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III
Wally
Horrid Henry
Greg Heffley
Odysseus, Hercules or any other greek hero
Hobbit
Jesus (a book character too)
Moses (ditto)

Trazzletoes Sun 03-Mar-13 00:03:52

You think you've got it bad grin DD is only just 1 and has to dress up for nursery!!!! I clearly can't make anything as she will just eat it!

My DSis got her a ladybird sleep suit the other day so I was going to put her in that... But I can't think of a book with a ladybird in!!!!!!

Trazzletoes Sun 03-Mar-13 00:04:59

Ah MrsDux I see we have the same problem!

Wingdingdong Sun 03-Mar-13 00:13:01

Put her in the ladybird costume, stick some paper to her back and she can be a Ladybird Paperback! grin

Tincletoes Sun 03-Mar-13 00:19:11

Lol trazzletoes, except mrs Dux wrote that some time ago so she is probably trying to find an outfit for a yr 1 child!

As for ladybird stories, I can think of...

What the ladybird heard (Julia Donaldson)
The bad tempered ladybird (Eric carle)
The very lazy ladybird (not sure who by!)

babyboo1and2 Sun 03-Mar-13 00:25:09

Hairy McClary - dress in black ( my dc also wore a cheap chinelle (sp?) scarf from the pound shop which stretched over her head and body) and then a collar and name tag made from card. Easy and very cheap

BawbagBiggins Sun 03-Mar-13 00:27:55

My 6 yr old wants to go as the Onesler, should be easy enough, but last year he and his older brother went as Tin Tin and Captain Haddock

Awizardsstaffhasaknobontheend Sun 03-Mar-13 10:40:34

How about a roman from the Roman Mysteries series? REALLY easy to put together as well! Only need a sheet and to make a simple laurel headress and perhaps add an appropriate necklace and bangles.
I wore this last year (taught year 3) as it was easy and we were doing the romans!

Awizardsstaffhasaknobontheend Sun 03-Mar-13 10:41:24

Ohh nice idea about hairy maclary! Thats my outfit sorted out for this year!

Elibean Sun 03-Mar-13 13:17:36

dd2 wants to go as Mr Munroe from Ottaline hmm

I suppose if I brush her hair over her face, stick a pair of old 3D spec frames on her.....? grin

KingscoteStaff Sun 03-Mar-13 13:22:02

I had five Mr Munroes in my Year 6 class last year, 4 Ottalines and one bear!

My 8 year old is taking a magnifying glass and going as wilma tenderfoot, one of her favourite characters. Dd2 is 4 and going as meg from meg and mog (white leggings, b&w stripey top, cats ears and black scarf as a tail)

Elibean Sun 03-Mar-13 14:56:29

Kingscote - how did they do the Munroes?!?

I hope I can persuade her to stick to Ottaline - at school, preferably grin

difficultpickle Sun 03-Mar-13 16:29:19

Ds (year 4) is dressing up as Richard Parker (fom Life of Pi). I'm getting him a tiger onesie.

worley Sun 03-Mar-13 16:40:21

ds2's school has a magic theme for theirs this week. so he's going as Harry potter.. he's 6 but loves it.. thankfully ds1 doesn't have to so it now he's 14.. but one year he went as the tourist from disc world.. I made him a camera and the luggage.. and his teacher (English teacher) claimed to not know who the tourist was... I guess not many 10 yr olds were reading disc world in her year..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now