Guildford priv girls' Schools - GHS, Tormead, St Cat's - anyone got experience of their dyslexia provision?

(8 Posts)
CaroleService Tue 04-Oct-16 14:52:28

We are moving shortly, and looking to place a v bright but slightly dyslexic Yr 4 child.

All of these schools seem to 'talk the talk' ... but do they 'walk the walk', in your opinion. We've been burned before ...

FurbysMakeSexNoises Wed 05-Oct-16 14:59:53

My sister is maths dyslexic and went to GHS- they allowed extra time for exams and had an exceptionally supportive maths teacher who I suspect has left now (Miss Smith)- my sister got the best A level results she could have hoped for but didn't feel very bright or cherished compared to some of the shining stars there. It's a real academic hothouse and my parents sometimes wonder if Tormead would have been a better fit.

Have you considered Manor House in Bookham?

CaroleService Wed 05-Oct-16 15:36:59

Thanks, Furby - I do get a good 'feel' from Tormead. Not heard of Manor House - will look it up. My impression of GHS is that it is a bit pressured.

FurbysMakeSexNoises Wed 05-Oct-16 16:37:02

We went many years ago! But I'm still very close friends with my lovely GHS friends. Manor House is smaller and less academic but very good for the girl as a whole- no sixth form though. Stunning grounds. Think they've just got a new head.

They're all decent schools- St Cats has a great head and reputation as well.

PaperdollCartoon Sat 08-Oct-16 17:04:52

They're all good schools, GHS probably the most high level academic, St Cats probably the 'poshest'. I would go speak to them, you should get a feeling from what they say whether they really want to be supportive.

Also worth considering Prior's Field, really on the up and seems much more inclusive (though I don't have personal experience)

GreenTreeGreenPea Sun 09-Oct-16 10:00:11

If she is very bright but slightly dyslexic don't discount GHS. It is a very very good school and their teaching is incredible. There is a learning support teacher and in every year group there are girls with dyslexia and other needs.

DD was there and got so much from it. It is very 'work hard, play hard' - all the girls are motivated to do well but the school encourages good humour, trying out new things and the pastoral side it top notch too.

In terms of academic pressure, DD was very average there but I think this only is a problem and becomes a self-esteem issue if you create it. We constantly were reminding her that it didn't matter where she was compared to others and that she was doing absolutely fine. None of the pressure comes from the school - they are pretty laid back and caring.

She really realised the GHS difference at uni where her work ethic helped her hugely, She actually now lives with a group of GHS girls (all recently graduated young professionals) in London and they all talk so fondly of the school.

All the Guildford girls' private schools are great. Tormead is having building works which may help as we always found the site cramped. Be careful with it long term - the sixth form is very small as many leave at 16. St Cats is a very traditional day/boarding school. I'd consider it if I was looking again. Prior's Field is just seniors - it has a very good learning support department but if your DD is bright I would aim for one of the more academic schools.

CaroleService Sun 09-Oct-16 18:37:05

Thank you! This is really helping ...

yourmothernotyourfriend Fri 21-Oct-16 21:03:20

Hi - just to say that Tormead's building works are complete. I also believe that a higher proportion of girls are staying for the sixth form now (but the 6th form years are about 20% smaller than GHS. From Years 7-11 I believe that GHS currently has approximately 120 in a year (pl correct me if I am wrong) but Tormead has only c90.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now