Do you think this a good reason for appeal

(27 Posts)
Unluckyirish Thu 22-Sep-16 08:13:20

Hi everyone x

I have a thread at the moment about my Dd having no school placement for year 10 and not being able to get a place in our local area.We are planning to move again but haven't got the house yet . I applied for the school in the area we want to move to but didn't get a place because there are no spaces. Are these reasons good enough to appeal even though we aren't in the catchememt area?

-we were never asked to fill out forms
-no written confirmation that they couldn't offer her a place
-before summer we looked around the school and was given two taster days for September which never happened
-was told when they move to the new building in September there will be more spaces
-they want 375 students on roll by September 2018
-Dd can continue her GCSE options
-various reasons why the school is best for her

LIZS Thu 22-Sep-16 08:25:14

I don't think it was up to the school to tell you to complete in year paperwork . It sounds like a misunderstanding that the taster days would follow any formal offer, which they have never made. The move and expansion may be a gradual process, starting in y7 and y12 , but numbers info would help. If y10 is at capacity for the resources available the school can refuse admission. You are better concentrating on continuity of gcse options , and how that school meets her needs - socially and academically. However given the time pressure you really need to get her into a school asap and an appeal will take time and delay this. Keep the pressure up on local LA to offer a place, but she would really need to stay there for 2 years now rather than change mid course. Then review for 6th form.

Unluckyirish Thu 22-Sep-16 08:31:28

On the phone to the LA everyday to try and get her a place anywhere but they are useless,I've been given lots of advice by mumsnetters. The school doesn't have year 12. What do you mean by she would need to say there for 2 years?

LIZS Thu 22-Sep-16 08:33:40

Y10 and 11. You couldn't expect her to make another move , wherever she is offered now. It would be very disruptive.

Unluckyirish Thu 22-Sep-16 08:38:59

Well she isn't at any school right now because her old school is 198miles away ,for personal reasons we can't stay where we are and have to move house very soon so I would like her to have a school place in the area we move to so she can finish secondary education there

LIZS Thu 22-Sep-16 08:48:10

But you haven't actually moved , so only the current LA has an obligation to your dc. If your out of catchment school has a place in y10 they have to offer it , to you or whoever is at top of their waiting list, but if they are "full" holding out in the hope of appeal will affect her Gcses. When will you move again? It may be better to accept a local place quickly and make the best of it. Presumably the areas are relatively close.

Unluckyirish Thu 22-Sep-16 08:52:05

The areas are 45 mins away from each other. Need to move by end of October

LIZS Thu 22-Sep-16 08:56:26

Commutable either way then?

Unluckyirish Thu 22-Sep-16 09:03:04

45mins by car,2hrs 45 mins by public transport because it's a rural area we are planning to move to

GreenGoth89 Thu 22-Sep-16 09:06:34

If the personal reasons are because of DV/crime or if you have carer commitments or have health reasons I.e. On a transplant register or need to be near a specific hospital for treatment then speak up about those!

Unluckyirish Thu 22-Sep-16 09:14:17

The house we are in now is only short term let until the end of October,we lived in this area before we moved 198 miles away but we were too far from family. It wouldn't be safe or fair on Dd to stay here which is why we are moving again

titchy Thu 22-Sep-16 09:27:01

Can you clarify EXACTLY your position - it's confusing. Is it: you used to live in place A, and have now moved to place B which is 200 miles away, but st the end of October you intend to move to place C which is 45 mins (?30 miles) from B? You are looking for a school in C?

If so I can't see the place C LEA considering you until you're actually there. Place B LEA is responsible for providing a school, and you should ask them to invoke Fair Access Protocol if they cannot find a space.

Unluckyirish Thu 22-Sep-16 09:42:27

That's correct Titchy

I've asked place B about fair access protocol and was told they will call me back,I've been chasing them up but nothing.

PatriciaHolm Thu 22-Sep-16 09:46:06

Is the LEA for place B and C the same?

ThatStewie Thu 22-Sep-16 09:50:30

Tbh, iWork's be looking at staying in area b for next 2 years so that your DC has continuity in their GCSEs. You're already 2 weeks into the school year with no available places. An appeal could take months. Moving at end of October to a new school would also be detrimental.

It's crap that the exam system forces people into making these kinds of decisions but continuity at this stage is essential.

Unluckyirish Thu 22-Sep-16 09:59:11

No two different LEA but I've been trying to get a school place in both.

I know I shouldn't be moving her around like this especially since year 10 is important but we really can't stay in 'area b'

titchy Thu 22-Sep-16 09:59:54

Phone place B LEA and speak to the education welfare office to report a child out of education - that often moves things along. Don't confuse things with place C LEA - if you do move to C you will probably have to suck up a crappy journey to school, but probably better than moving to a third school.

titchy Thu 22-Sep-16 10:00:41

If you don't mind me asking why did you move to B when you intended to move to C all along? confused

<Irrelevant I know, sorry>

Unluckyirish Thu 22-Sep-16 10:08:34

I have reported her as missing from education.
Moved back to B so my mum could help me out with things at home and because it was easier to start a new job in b and then transfer over to their workplace in C

PatriciaHolm Thu 22-Sep-16 10:18:04

LEA at C have no obligation to you right now, as you don't have an address in their area. However, If a school has a space then they need to give it to you, but you would be obliged to take it up asap - you might be able to negotiate to start after half term, which is what you want.

If the school that has refused you a place is in LEA C, and is the one you want long term, then do appeal - based on continuity of GCSEs, her need for stability for the next 2 years etc, and I would mention the fact that they led you to believe there would be a place. I would imagine you stand a reasonably good chance (I sit on appeals panels).

LEA C don't have an obligation right now to find you anything else, and won't do until you have a address in their area.

LEA at B do, but is it really in her best interests to join a school for 4 weeks or so? If you are moving at the end of October, it seems more disruptive than helpful.

Unluckyirish Thu 22-Sep-16 10:31:07

Thank you patricia it's all a bit of a mess now, someone above said the appeal for the school in LEAC would take months. LEA B has been useless about getting her a school place but we are planning to move by then,I'm putting my deposit down today .

lougle Thu 22-Sep-16 10:33:45

"An appeal could take months." 40 school days. Maximum.

Unluckyirish Thu 22-Sep-16 10:39:47

Thank you lougle

LIZS Thu 22-Sep-16 10:51:12

But even on those timeframes you could be looking at missing almost a term, assuming successful appeal and immediate start by mid November. Are you able to he in the meantime to keep things going?

Unluckyirish Thu 22-Sep-16 10:57:39

At the moment a friend of mine who is a teacher has been posing her GCSE past exam papers,powerpoints from lessons everyday but I really need her in school,I work FT so I'm not really there to help her. She's was top set for all her subjects and I don't want her to fall behind or have to sit back a year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now